Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 11, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-05-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
DrrrD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477188
Default 2.5 Rs=ej253

Ok so I own Completely stock! 2005 Impreza 2.5rs (blobeye crew ) it's has an EJ253 in it which I admire to be a strong and reliable engine, but despise for being slow(160hp, pretty standard daily, about 20-28mpg, not complaining). I would like to swap it in the next... 30-50k miles (got 78k on it right now, so if you want a nonturbo EJ25 contact me in the next couple years) my first question is which engine should I swap it? I am looking for reliable power (230+)... I want the engine to be somewhat easy to work on... if you have any recommendations I would be happy to listen... I would love to learn more/as much stuff as possible before I begin swapping and breaking stuff I might not want to break
DrrrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
igoiks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326692
Vehicle:
2004 sti
wrb

Sell it and buy a wrx or if you want non turbo, look in to v6 awd sedans. I donít see how you possibly can make 230+ hp on NA subaru motor, swapping in wrx turbo engine will not worth it way cheaper to buy a wrx.
igoiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Are you doing the work or a shop?
What is your budget?

You can get in the low 200's NA on a stock ECU without a piggyback and doing bolt ons.

Read in the NA forum, several discussions.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
BrandonTKaylor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 474804

I recently bought a ej20 as a replacement for a ej25. I was told all I need to do is swap everything from the ej25 to the ej20. Basically just use the ej20 for the block and heads. I'm currently looking for a turbo kit for mine. In doing so what ecu would I use to run a turbo on this?
BrandonTKaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
DrrrD
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igoiks View Post
Sell it and buy a wrx or if you want non turbo, look in to v6 awd sedans. I donít see how you possibly can make 230+ hp on NA subaru motor, swapping in wrx turbo engine will not worth it way cheaper to buy a wrx.
Yeah thought about that... I got RS for dirt cheap from my buddy, the body is in prime condition, some scratches here and there but I fixed that already, I did some mods already that are half of the cars price point so I don't really wanna sell it... plus I mostly wanna swap it for an STI EJsomething not sure which one yet... if I'm gonna swap it I'm gonna build an engine around 10K price point (this is where it gets expensive), than again an sti engine in an 2.5 RS would kinda make it a sleeper...
Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
DrrrD
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Are you doing the work or a shop?
What is your budget?

You can get in the low 200's NA on a stock ECU without a piggyback and doing bolt ons.

Read in the NA forum, several discussions.
lol I'm doing the work with a professional mechanic to guide me(my good old friend, he did couple swaps on my type of car before) I'm trying to cram it into 5K rebuild, but I'm willing to spend 10K (making my car technically a sleeper)... alright will do thanks