Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #6926
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
Any specific reason why?

I don't think I have ever used my bank debit card. Speaking of which, I should probably find that damn thing.
Part of it is laziness. I donít want to remember to pay off the balance each month.

Part of it is my approach to financial responsibility. I had credit card debt when I was younger. Part of my strategy to get rid of it was to stop using the card entirely.

And part of it is that I despise the credit card industry. I do have a credit card, but it really is just for emergencies and business travel.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bryan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #6927
Tilapia
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42454
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZ
Default

Use something like Samsung Pay or Google/Apple version. Even Chase bank has one.

I use Samsung whenever possible.
Tilapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #6928
shikataganai
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
'19 Volvo XC40
'18 Pacifica PHEV

Default

The best way to get back at the credit card industry is to never pay interest and get more in rewards than what fees your cards may have. But if itís a personal issue based off of your history thatís meaningful to you because of that then thereís no rational argument.
shikataganai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #6929
Koua Jones
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3806
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2010 MX-5 Touring
Silver

Default

Free credit freezes for all!!!
Koua Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #6930
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
The best way to get back at the credit card industry is to never pay interest and get more in rewards than what fees your cards may have.
I see folks spending their free time managing that kind of stuff. Behind it all, the credit industry is still betting against you. Not my thing.
Bryan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #6931
shikataganai
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
'19 Volvo XC40
'18 Pacifica PHEV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
I see folks spending their free time managing that kind of stuff. Behind it all, the credit industry is still betting against you. Not my thing.
For me these days it's simple:

1) Is it a 5% quarterly category on the Freedom? This requires thought 4x per year. (Or is it my auto-pay cell phone or internet bills that go on the Ink Plus?)

2) If not meeting one of the above, then it goes on the Sapphire Reserve.

For better or worse (since that means we spend a lot) we get far more out of the Ultimate Rewards from the Sapphire than we spend in annual fees. 3% travel/restaurants redeemed at 1.5x for travel makes that pretty easy math.
shikataganai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #6932
shiplemw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203905
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Default

This reminds me I need to get a better card. My citi dividend card used to be pretty decent, I think it only gets 1% all the time, 3% on select categories quarterly.
shiplemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #6933
.brian.
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 155207
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: No one likes us, we don't care
Vehicle:
2013 MDX
2012 G37xS

Default

Chase Freedom or Discover (It?) for 5% rotating categories.

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($95 annual fee) for 6% grocery stores, 3% gas, 1% all else.
.brian. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #6934
shikataganai
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
'19 Volvo XC40
'18 Pacifica PHEV

Default



Also add in the lounge access benefit (so $56 between the two of us chopped off when we eat at DEN prior to a flight) and note that we spend far more than that on restaurants and travel and the math is easy.

Last edited by shikataganai; 09-22-2018 at 04:03 PM.
shikataganai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #6935
TheViking85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273629
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2015 Genesis 5.0
Grey

Default

I keep it simple, I don't travel much so the fee cards don't make sense to me.

I have an Amazon Prime Visa w/5% cashback Amazon/WF, 2% restaurants and gas and 1% on everything else as the primary card (meaning all household exp go on it)

Then a USAA cash back 1.5% on everything card for personal spending. Neither card has an annual fee so the cashback is pure money in my pocket no math needed.
TheViking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #6936
burtonrider3889
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163519
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond, VA
Vehicle:
2016 GT4
White

Default

So I just put a contract in on my first apartment building. It's an 8 unit. Very interested to see how it all goes, but my goal is to acquire $4,000,000 in multi families between now and the next 4-5 years.

I've got a couple flips going on right now, so I'll be super happy when they close out and I have more cash back in my pocket.
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #6937
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

I tape a sticker on each card if I can't remember what the rotating or other bonus category is. So now that we're in the 4th quarter, I'm going to have to look up Discover and Freedom and change the label. Double cash and Fidelity are my baseline 2% cards.

I also do plenty of shenanigans with tradelines and low balance forgiveness, so there's that to keep track of 10 to 15 cards with.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #6938
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
My debit card number has been stolen repeatedly in the last few months. I notice a suspicious charge or two (typically a charge that looks like Spotify, but also other online services) and alert my bank. They refund me and issue a new card. Then it happens again. And again.
And again.

My bank told me they were going to block any charges from Spotify (Iím not a customer), but another charge posted today.

Obviously, I have to stop using my card for shopping. Iím not convinced using a credit card will improve things.

Cash only?
Bryan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #6939
ptirmal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82243
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philly
Vehicle:
13' BMW X3 35i

Default

If it keeps happening it sounds like it's either the bank that has a security exploit or the device you're using.
ptirmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #6940
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever
Moderator
 
Member#: 369
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
12 CTS-V Wagon
17 GTI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptirmal View Post
If it keeps happening it sounds like it's either the bank that has a security exploit or the device you're using.
I was going to say this. I would put money on your device is compromised if it is happening that frequently.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #6941
Tim_
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 304128
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
So I just put a contract in on my first apartment building. It's an 8 unit. Very interested to see how it all goes, but my goal is to acquire $4,000,000 in multi families between now and the next 4-5 years.
Congrats on that. Will you be rehabbing the property and cashing out? You investing in Richmond?
Tim_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #6942
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
I was going to say this. I would put money on your device is compromised if it is happening that frequently.
The last three charges have been the same fraud and amount. My bank suggested that the fraudster is able to get my new card number from Visa. Frustratingly, my bank blocked charges from the fraudster in the last cycle, but they still went through.

Dumping my bank is a possibility, though it would be really annoying with all of my automatic debits/credits. Ugh.
Bryan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #6943
YungBoba
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
Chase Freedom or Discover (It?) for 5% rotating categories.

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($95 annual fee) for 6% grocery stores, 3% gas, 1% all else.
Is there a limit on that 6% for grocery? That's pretty good.

Right now I use these cards for the following:

Costco Visa: 4% on gas, 3% on dining/travel, 2% Costco purchases
BofA Cash Rewards: 2% on grocery
Target Redcard: 5% off Target

I'm debating on getting either the Amazon Prime Visa or the Discover IT for my next card. Leaning more towards the Discover; I applied for the Amazon in April and got denied due to lack of credit history (2 years at the time) so not sure if I would get in with another 6 months on the books. I think I'd get more use out of the Discover rotating categories; plus I plan to open online savings with Discover so it'll be the same portal to manage both.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #6944
vlad11591
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
Is there a limit on that 6% for grocery? That's pretty good.

Right now I use these cards for the following:

Costco Visa: 4% on gas, 3% on dining/travel, 2% Costco purchases
BofA Cash Rewards: 2% on grocery
Target Redcard: 5% off Target

I'm debating on getting either the Amazon Prime Visa or the Discover IT for my next card. Leaning more towards the Discover; I applied for the Amazon in April and got denied due to lack of credit history (2 years at the time) so not sure if I would get in with another 6 months on the books. I think I'd get more use out of the Discover rotating categories; plus I plan to open online savings with Discover so it'll be the same portal to manage both.
I would get the Amazon Visa. 5% back on amazon purchases uncapped. Since you can literally buy almost anything on amazon, you can do all your shopping there. I buy common cleaning/household items through prime pantry which gives you a bit better pricing.

Also bofa cash rewards is capped at 2500 per quarter which doesn't make sense. Wells Fargo has similar cash reward card that is uncapped.
vlad11591 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #6945
TheViking85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273629
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2015 Genesis 5.0
Grey

Default

I've been very happy with the Amazon Visa Rewards card. We definitely don't buy everything on Amazon, but we use it for a lot, but with 2% cash back on gas and restaurants to it ends up cashing in quite a bit faster than our 1.5% on everything card.
TheViking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #6946
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

I tried to deal with Spotify on this fraud issue.

ďSend us details on the transactions.Ē I sent all that I have from my bank statements. Not good enough.

ďSend us your Spotify receipts.Ē I donít have any. This isnít my account.

ďSend us the PayPal invoices.Ē I donít have a PayPal account.

ďSend us the credit card receipts.Ē I donít have these, as they werenít my transactions.

Somehow, Spotify (or someone pretending to be Spotify) is able to consistently charge my debit card for a service I never bought using a PayPal account that doesnít exist. And I apparently have no recourse to stop the payments. Unreal.

The fact that it automatically gets moved to a new debit card is insane. Iím on my fourth card at this point.
Bryan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #6947
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
Chase Freedom or Discover (It?) for 5% rotating categories.

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($95 annual fee) for 6% grocery stores, 3% gas, 1% all else.
I’ve been happy with the blue cash preferred. I think the grocery cap is $6k.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #6948
richde
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79498
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: SCIC's trashy neighbor
Vehicle:
2013 XV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
I tried to deal with Spotify on this fraud issue.

ďSend us details on the transactions.Ē I sent all that I have from my bank statements. Not good enough.

ďSend us your Spotify receipts.Ē I donít have any. This isnít my account.

ďSend us the PayPal invoices.Ē I donít have a PayPal account.

ďSend us the credit card receipts.Ē I donít have these, as they werenít my transactions.

Somehow, Spotify (or someone pretending to be Spotify) is able to consistently charge my debit card for a service I never bought using a PayPal account that doesnít exist. And I apparently have no recourse to stop the payments. Unreal.

The fact that it automatically gets moved to a new debit card is insane. Iím on my fourth card at this point.
What did your bank say?

What is the policy for fraudulent debt charges vs. fraudulent CC charges?
richde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #6949
YungBoba
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
I would get the Amazon Visa. 5% back on amazon purchases uncapped. Since you can literally buy almost anything on amazon, you can do all your shopping there. I buy common cleaning/household items through prime pantry which gives you a bit better pricing.

Also bofa cash rewards is capped at 2500 per quarter which doesn't make sense. Wells Fargo has similar cash reward card that is uncapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I've been very happy with the Amazon Visa Rewards card. We definitely don't buy everything on Amazon, but we use it for a lot, but with 2% cash back on gas and restaurants to it ends up cashing in quite a bit faster than our 1.5% on everything card.
Meh, the only thing holding me back really is that I already got denied for it once 6 months ago. I'm not sure if Chase is just really strict on that card, especially since its a Visa Signature card. I have good credit (760+) and no missed payments but they cited lack of credit history (2 years) and no Chase accounts open as the reasons. And I'm certainly not going to open a bank account with Chase just to get the card

I go to Target once a week so the REDCard is a good substitute for me for common household things, and my Costco already gives me 4% on gas and 3% on dining.

I might get the Discover IT for the reasons I already mentioned, plus they match all the cashback you earn in your first year. I can churn that while I have it and then maybe get the Amazon next year.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #6950
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2011 White Corolla
Over 400hp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
And I'm certainly not going to open a bank account with Chase just to get the card
Why not? Chase has constant bonuses into the $500 range for their bank accounts.

Chase typically limits their **** geographically so I canít get their bonuses, but Iím churning accounts this year will end up reporting around $2000 in 1099-INT.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.