Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 12, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #151
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Today I received a package that I had know idea what it was. Turns out it was the hard to get Group N STi rear swaybar endlink bushings I ordered a long time ago.



Pressing the old bushing out





Pressing the new bushing in



These bushings are SOLID and have no give to them. Probably easier to just get aftermarket, but thats not my style lol

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #152
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Just going through this thread for the first time and I have to say that I give you major props for keeping everything OEM. I always cringe a bit when I see people modifying limited production cars but this is the right way to do it as opposed to sticking aftermarket stuff on it. Might as well call it a Type RA-S or RA209 now
YungBoba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #153
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
Just going through this thread for the first time and I have to say that I give you major props for keeping everything OEM. I always cringe a bit when I see people modifying limited production cars but this is the right way to do it as opposed to sticking aftermarket stuff on it. Might as well call it a Type RA-S or RA209 now
Thanks for the kind words! For me its using parts that people never buy because the aftermarket is cheaper. Group N parts for example exist so Subaru could homologate road cars to go Rally racing. To me having a Group N shifter is half performance and half knowing Subaru designed this for their WRC dogbox transmissions and had to sell them to the public to be legal. That stuff dosen't happen often anymore. Driving something at this price point that is unique and not many people get to experience is hard, and i find using rare OEM stuff gives me that feeling lol
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #154
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Tried to place an order through a few dealers for the S209's rear cargo area foam floor support. The S209 has a unique floor support that is molded to clear the intercooler spray tank. Well, every dealer told me that STi of Japan is not approving any orders for S209 parts unless it is warranty work. Guess the window to buy certain S209 parts has closed. Bummer.

Well, I needed to do something so I could put my race tires back there. So i made some measurements and cut my RA foam floor support. I plan to get some plastic and go back and enclose those areas I cut out.







archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #155
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Starting with the S207, STi in Japan uses a unique upgraded 1 piece front sway bar bushing. This bushing has been used in the S208 and now the S209. It is A LOT stiffer than stock and feels almost identical to Group N bushing hardness.





Removed front Sway Bar




Comparison between stock and the S209 1 piece bushing.







My bushing would not just slide right onto the bar without possibly deforming the bushing and ruining its integrity. So I had to come up with something.




I put the bushings into hot water for a bit to make them more pliable.



Added some Dawn Dish soap to the bar and the bushings slid right on.




Once the bushings cooled and dried they are very tight and firm to the bar.



archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #156
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Completed the S209 Intercooler System retrofit in the RA today. Still waiting on an inline check valve to make the system 100% complete.

I sourced the GR Spec C Intercooler Spray Nozzles to finish the install as S209 parts are getting harder to order directly from STi now. I then fabbed the 2 Nozzle brackets to mount the sprayers high enough to direct the spray onto the intercooler.

Overall this was a fun project that a lot of dealers said wasn't possible. Hope it makes a difference at the next track day.














Last edited by archer1.8; 08-12-2020 at 10:04 PM.
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #157
jackasspyro2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273797
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2015 STI
silver

Default

Every page of this thread was worth the read. You're build is amazing. I can't wait to see what else you do to this gorgeous thing.
jackasspyro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #158
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackasspyro2 View Post
Every page of this thread was worth the read. You're build is amazing. I can't wait to see what else you do to this gorgeous thing.
Thanks for the kind words!
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #159
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Headed back to PA this weekend to finish up the interior on the CJ7 Project. It gets exhaust next week and hopefully my 31's will be in stock.











archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #160
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Spent Saturday at another Track Sprint/AutoX at Pocono Raceway. Another perfect day and a podium finish. Car is absolutely perfect with all the OEM+ mods. Definitely think there is room for more improvement with aftermarket swaybars and coilovers, however as it sits now its the perfect car for seat time for me to get better.













archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #161
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Nice bro, I did my first track event a couple weeks ago at Pike Peak International Raceway. My car is a blast to drive, I just need to remember to turn off the traction control next time and see if that will help with my times. With my times I was in the middle of my group AA. Only mods I have is Cobb AP, DP and sway bars.
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #162
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Nice bro, I did my first track event a couple weeks ago at Pike Peak International Raceway. My car is a blast to drive, I just need to remember to turn off the traction control next time and see if that will help with my times. With my times I was in the middle of my group AA. Only mods I have is Cobb AP, DP and sway bars.
Definitly look into coils or at minimum the Bilsteins with some springs. Makes a huge difference. On an AutoX or Track Sprint i found Not turning everything off (just one click on traction control off button) and leaving the diffs in Auto or if its a very tight technical course Auto- Only ever used manual towards the rear when it was a VERY tight AutoX course.
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #163
Chief_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369934
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Gardner, Kansas
Vehicle:
2018 STI Limited
Heritage Blue

Default

I love the retro fitting of the intercooler sprayer. Im suprised more STI's havent came with that. My 07 STI had it and it was useful at the track.
Chief_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #164
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1.8 View Post
Definitly look into coils or at minimum the Bilsteins with some springs. Makes a huge difference. On an AutoX or Track Sprint i found Not turning everything off (just one click on traction control off button) and leaving the diffs in Auto or if its a very tight technical course Auto- Only ever used manual towards the rear when it was a VERY tight AutoX course.
I have the Bilstein's with sti pink springs..just need to get around to installing them. Just don't want to pay to get an alignment until I can find a shop I can trust to do it right.
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:31 AM   #165
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_WRX View Post
I love the retro fitting of the intercooler sprayer. Im suprised more STI's havent came with that. My 07 STI had it and it was useful at the track.
It was very worthwhile mod. My last event while waiting for my run being able to cool the intercooler and prevent heat soak was definitely awesome.
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #166
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

So it always bothered me that STi for some reason does not offer an upgraded Trailing Arm Kit with the Pillow Ball bushings to match the Lateral Links and Toe Arm Kits.

I originally planned to install Group N bushings in my OEM Trailing Arms for that OEM+ goodness. Well, it turns out STi DOES offer an upgraded Trailing Arm Kit with the Pillow Ball bushings for the VA chassi. They just list it under a base model Impreza 2.0.

I was 99% sure they were the same. My daily is a 2013 Impreza 2.0i and they look identical to the ones on the RA. So i bought a set of part number ST20250MF000 from Japan Parts. Took two months and they showed up today.

Going to be installing these later next week before the next autocross. Tempted to install Group N Diff Support bushings while I am back there.





archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #167
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1.8 View Post
So it always bothered me that STi for some reason does not offer an upgraded Trailing Arm Kit with the Pillow Ball bushings to match the Lateral Links and Toe Arm Kits.

I originally planned to install Group N bushings in my OEM Trailing Arms for that OEM+ goodness. Well, it turns out STi DOES offer an upgraded Trailing Arm Kit with the Pillow Ball bushings for the VA chassi. They just list it under a base model Impreza 2.0.

I was 99% sure they were the same. My daily is a 2013 Impreza 2.0i and they look identical to the ones on the RA. So i bought a set of part number ST20250MF000 from Japan Parts. Took two months and they showed up today.

Going to be installing these later next week before the next autocross. Tempted to install Group N Diff Support bushings while I am back there.





Nice bro, I am definitely subscribed and following your thread. I had the STI pink lateral links and trailing arms on my GD WRX back in the day and that car handled so good. Interested to see if these fit.
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #168
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Today I worked on installing the JDM STi Rear Trailing Arms with the Pillow Ball Bushings. Not sure why STi does not list these as a performance option for the STI/WRX, but they bolt on perfectly. Install was a breeze.

Happy the whole rear end is upgraded with pillow ball bushings. The Upper Control Arm would get Group N in the future, as well as the differential bushings.







archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #169
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Installed a small interior upgrade today. I noticed the JDM S4 and the Levorg have Red Stitch E brake Handles. I also found out the BRZ tS has them as well as a few others. I found a used BRZ tS E brake assembly on Ebay for stupid cheap. I knews the mount was different, but I was after the handle.

Install was as simple as it looked.















archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #170
wrx_roggie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 53206
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: outside of detroit, MI
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
WRB

Default

nice!
wrx_roggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #171
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

The 16 Year CJ7 Project is quickly coming to a close. I never thought I would see the day. There is not alot left to do, but a bunch of little things to get it ready for PA inspection.

Had a relative roll back the Jeep up to the exhaust shop. System came out awesome. Had a wideband bung installed so I can tune the carburetor when I want. Drove the Jeep the 8 miles home with absolutely no issues other than it runs rich now.











Also, my rare 6 lug 15x8 Laredo chrome wagon wheels came back from the polisher and I mounted them on 31x10.5 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38's



archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #172
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

First off... MAD RESPECT.... Not many people would go 'way' out of their way to have one of the "most" complete STi's on the planet..So Props. I see you are sourcing your parts from various places:
JAPANPARTS
EBAY
LOCAL DEALERS
Various other places.
Is there a place you shop at that seems to be better than the other.
I have had experience with Japanparts. .but it wasn't the greatest.

Anyways...Nice build .. Good to see using Factory Parts.. Love it.
I Recently 'Re-aquired' my 05 STi. and am currently in the process of re-furbishing/Re-Storing it... its in Great Shape.. with absolutely NO Rust as it was in Fla for most of its 16 years.
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #173
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
First off... MAD RESPECT.... Not many people would go 'way' out of their way to have one of the "most" complete STi's on the planet..So Props. I see you are sourcing your parts from various places:
JAPANPARTS
EBAY
LOCAL DEALERS
Various other places.
Is there a place you shop at that seems to be better than the other.
I have had experience with Japanparts. .but it wasn't the greatest.

Anyways...Nice build .. Good to see using Factory Parts.. Love it.
I Recently 'Re-aquired' my 05 STi. and am currently in the process of re-furbishing/Re-Storing it... its in Great Shape.. with absolutely NO Rust as it was in Fla for most of its 16 years.
Bad service with JapanParts wow!?!? Nothing but awesome service from them. Fast shipping with awesome responses when shipping is going to be slow. They even sourced parts for me not on their lists.

Plans for your GD??
archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #174
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1.8 View Post
Bad service with JapanParts wow!?!? Nothing but awesome service from them. Fast shipping with awesome responses when shipping is going to be slow. They even sourced parts for me not on their lists.

Plans for your GD??
you have to realize Its literally been years since I used them...as for plans for my GD ..see my thread..
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #175
archer1.8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148335
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Vehicle:
2018 STi Type RA#454
WRB

Default

Yesterday I acquired something I have been drooling over ever since I saw the S209 press pictures. I tried very hard to order it from a few different dealers when you could order S209 parts before they tightened up the ordering process. Never the less....I got my intake!

I have basically now have forced myself to focus on a build plan for power mods. Keeping it OEM+ is going to be fun. Twin Scroll? S209 Turbo? Send the VF48 to IHI for their factory HI Flow upgrade? For now I think a simple stage 1 Tune will be fine before I start planning long term.









Love how smooth the transitions are for the inlet piping.



Also I picked up a few other JDM bits this past week.

JDM STi Forester Alternator Cover




JDM STi Lug Nuts

archer1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.