Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 29, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #26
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV
Vehicle:
2021 Ascent
2012 Accord

Default

IMHO keep it out of boost and get the readiness monitors set and you should be ok. Do you have a scanner to read those?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:13 AM   #27
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I want to believe...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBucket View Post
IMHO keep it out of boost and get the readiness monitors set and you should be ok. Do you have a scanner to read those?
Yes, have scanner at the ready. I'll probably test it this week to see how the stock ecu takes the mods. I'm probably freaking out too soon, as smog isn't till next May or so lol. But I wanna get my ducks in line before.
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #28
oreganobag
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 518019
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default

I'm looking at moving back to Los Angeles with my 05 WRX STI.

I have a grimmspeed catted DP, GS uppipe, and Tomei UEL headers ready to install, but I haven't, yet. I might just sell them because I don't see myself uninstalling things every other year, let alone trying to pass inspections with them on a CARB-compliant map. Already have an EBCS installed which sucks because there are no CARB tunes that can handle that.

If I reinstall the stock BCS, how would a CARB map (assuming COBB Stage 1) handle the GS uppipe, tomei UEL headers, and the Killer B turbo inlet as long as I can keep it out of boost? I could forgo the headers, I hear the stock uppipe doesn't have a cat in it already, so an aftermarket is probably fine without a tune, the turbo inlet is a little concerning as the increased airflow is pretty considerable and installing a stock one is a PITA.

I mean, I may just return to stock at this point. The value of the car is only going up and stock blobeyes with low miles are rare, so it's tempting to just be that guy with a stock STI.

Last edited by oreganobag; 08-08-2021 at 02:53 PM.
oreganobag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #29
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV
Vehicle:
2021 Ascent
2012 Accord

Default

The bigger problem you'll have is passing visual with those parts. It is pretty hit or miss with smog guys. The stock ecu should be fine with them. I've heard of people being failed because the downpipe bolts had wrench marks on them. Granted that is an extreme, but you never know.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #30
oreganobag
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 518019
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBucket View Post
The bigger problem you'll have is passing visual with those parts. It is pretty hit or miss with smog guys. The stock ecu should be fine with them. I've heard of people being failed because the downpipe bolts had wrench marks on them. Granted that is an extreme, but you never know.
Yeah, I won't be putting on the downpipe. Or do you think they won't pass visual on a turbo inlet, AOS and MAF hose? The headers would be covered by the skid pad under the engine so not worried about that.
oreganobag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #31
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV
Vehicle:
2021 Ascent
2012 Accord

Default

Correct, all those parts are not ok. Most guys are being picky because of the consequences of getting caught. I mean they even took a pretty close look at my totally stock Accord. Can only imagine how they would scrutinize a tuner car.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #32
subiblue2002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 225666
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I.E born and raised
Vehicle:
2002 2.18 stroker
super wagon

Default

I passed last year.
But what I had to go through was rough...
Not looking forward to 2022..
subiblue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #33
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV
Vehicle:
2021 Ascent
2012 Accord

Default

Godspeed
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:45 AM   #34
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I want to believe...
Default

Good gawd!
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:44 PM   #35
my name is joe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171412
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SQC-NY
Default

Theres a meeting in october 7th 10-1 about this stuff via microsoft teams. Here is the link
my name is joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #36
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I want to believe...
Default

My 02 is running a jdm vf37 setup. In preparation for next springs smog check, I slapped bought a used ecu off ebay and got a rear o2 sensor spacer. I'd rather validate this sooner than later, giving myse;f some time to pivot if I need to. I swapped the ecu and spacer in two days ago. I've been driving it around town gently and will try to put some miles on it on the fwy to get the ecu flags ready. But so far no cells, crosses fingers. Cannot wait to stick my ecutek tuned ecu back in once I can prove this works.
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #37
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
My 02 is running a jdm vf37 setup. In preparation for next springs smog check, I slapped bought a used ecu off ebay and got a rear o2 sensor spacer. I'd rather validate this sooner than later, giving myse;f some time to pivot if I need to. I swapped the ecu and spacer in two days ago. I've been driving it around town gently and will try to put some miles on it on the fwy to get the ecu flags ready. But so far no cells, crosses fingers. Cannot wait to stick my ecutek tuned ecu back in once I can prove this works.
the other thing you need to do is to make sure the Vin on the ecu matches your VIN as well.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #38
subiblue2002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 225666
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I.E born and raised
Vehicle:
2002 2.18 stroker
super wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
the other thing you need to do is to make sure the Vin on the ecu matches your VIN as well.
Not sure that this maters, or is even possible.
Last smog I did for my car I had another car same year and model go in for me and I was fine..
subiblue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #39
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I want to believe...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
the other thing you need to do is to make sure the Vin on the ecu matches your VIN as well.
It doesn't need to match, it does need to be oem or the hashes will not match.
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #40
my name is joe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171412
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SQC-NY
Default

i heard its mostly the cars with canbus ecu's that are going to have the most problems. Basically any impreza before 2008 will be fine. Up until 05(wrx) and 04 sti is even better because 16bit ecu dont provide enough info in the ecu. Not for sure until people start updating this forum and word gets out on what would pass.
my name is joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:50 PM   #41
goodcar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 57654
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Vehicle:
05 wrx wagon stg2
obp

Default Update on my 2005 wrx

I reset to stock ecu, removing the access port. I have not been able to pass with the STI up pipe and gutted downpipe so I am looking to buy a used intact wrx uppipe and downpipe and hope that will pass. What a bummer.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:04 PM   #42
oaklandish_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267339
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Ostinato Rigore
Vehicle:
2002 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
MBP LongRoof

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
I reset to stock ecu, removing the access port. I have not been able to pass with the STI up pipe and gutted downpipe so I am looking to buy a used intact wrx uppipe and downpipe and hope that will pass. What a bummer.
How, exactly, did you fail (visual on the DP, OBD error/tune, etc.)? I may still have my '02 OEM catted UP but the temp sensor cable is cut off at the pipe... you'd need to do the 2.2k resistor trick at the harness connector. Pay shipping and its yours. DM if interested.

Data point: Mine passed OBD check in NOV with pseudo-OEM tune (UP and maybe DP cat efficiency codes turned off via rom raider, etc.). Believe I read somewhere reliable that all pre-CANBUS cars did not even need the OEM to supply the software hash, etc. So our antiques just need sensors set and visual OK'd.
oaklandish_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #43
goodcar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 57654
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Vehicle:
05 wrx wagon stg2
obp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX View Post
How, exactly, did you fail (visual on the DP, OBD error/tune, etc.)? I may still have my '02 OEM catted UP but the temp sensor cable is cut off at the pipe... you'd need to do the 2.2k resistor trick at the harness connector. Pay shipping and its yours. DM if interested.

Data point: Mine passed OBD check in NOV with pseudo-OEM tune (UP and maybe DP cat efficiency codes turned off via rom raider, etc.). Believe I read somewhere reliable that all pre-CANBUS cars did not even need the OEM to supply the software hash, etc. So our antiques just need sensors set and visual OK'd.
I believe it was an OBD error. fyi I uninstalled the access port thinking it would fail if I had it in place. Are you thinking I should try with accessport? I am not familiar with rom raider. If I can pass without replacing up and down pipe and uppipe, I am all ears.

Last edited by goodcar; 02-07-2022 at 07:57 PM.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #44
oaklandish_WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267339
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Ostinato Rigore
Vehicle:
2002 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
MBP LongRoof

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
I believe it was an OBD error. fyi I uninstalled the access port thinking it would fail if I had it in place. Are you thinking I should try with accessport? I am not familiar with rom raider. If I can pass without replacing up and down pipe and uppipe, I am all ears.
(big) IF they got you on an OBD software check and you have an AP, you could go to the stage 1 CA map, as that (as I understand from COBB) is approved for CA and has an approval # that the SMOG shop could check. That would get rid of that...if...

But if you have a non-OEM DP, then they'll more likely get you for that. I suspect that is how you got caught the first time...visual is too obvious. SMOG shop receipt should state what the fail was. Time to beg, borrow or buy if you don't have the DP any more. UP is almost never caught at SMOG, based on tribal knowledge. Mine is catless OEM but wrapped in thermal insulation and heavy alum foil the whole length - never a peep. good luck...
oaklandish_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #45
goodcar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 57654
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Vehicle:
05 wrx wagon stg2
obp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX View Post
(big) IF they got you on an OBD software check and you have an AP, you could go to the stage 1 CA map, as that (as I understand from COBB) is approved for CA and has an approval # that the SMOG shop could check. That would get rid of that...if...



But if you have a non-OEM DP, then they'll more likely get you for that. I suspect that is how you got caught the first time...visual is too obvious. SMOG shop receipt should state what the fail was. Time to beg, borrow or buy if you don't have the DP any more. UP is almost never caught at SMOG, based on tribal knowledge. Mine is catless OEM but wrapped in thermal insulation and heavy alum foil the whole length - never a peep. good luck...

My cats are gutted oem up and down. I still have a cat in the mid pipe. Think I will pass with stage 1 if I provide the eo# ?

Last edited by goodcar; 02-11-2022 at 02:22 AM.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #46
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I want to believe...
Default

Update, my rex was due for a smog. Setup is v7/8 twinscroll with 2.5 block. It runs an ecutek/prodrive tune from so far ago, don't even remember. The car has always passed some with room to spare with the jdm exhaust, cat in downpipe, not other cats per jdm setup. Anyways to the point it passed smog w/o issue. Yay! The tuned ecu was promptly swapped back in afterwards, so glad I didn't have to do any herculean effort to pass... knock on wood.
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:35 AM   #47
dLo R6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108719
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: bay area, ca / los angeles, ca
Vehicle:
2004 VF39'd WRB WRX
2003 Honda CBR600RR

Default

i passed smog 2 months ago with a 10 year old HB Speed tune from an AP1 (boost solenoid has been changed so i can't run boosted w/ a stock tune). VF39 + bolt-ons and sti pinks.

i had no idea about this rule, but i wasn't bothered about it and i passed just fine.
dLo R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:58 PM   #48
sigma pi ver. 14.0
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164838
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: under diplomatic immunity
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
Update, my rex was due for a smog. Setup is v7/8 twinscroll with 2.5 block. It runs an ecutek/prodrive tune from so far ago, don't even remember. The car has always passed some with room to spare with the jdm exhaust, cat in downpipe, not other cats per jdm setup. Anyways to the point it passed smog w/o issue. Yay! The tuned ecu was promptly swapped back in afterwards, so glad I didn't have to do any herculean effort to pass... knock on wood.
How you been?
sigma pi ver. 14.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #49
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: I want to believe...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma pi ver. 14.0 View Post
How you been?
Hey man, I'm doing good especially since passing smog hehe. How have you been? Oh, I see the OG thread has some activity now.
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #50
T WRX rawr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215168
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Lodi, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX stage 2 OS
Aspen White

Default

Anyone in the inland empire with a tactrix cable? I'm moving out of state but leaving my car with my dad for now, and he doesn't want to deal with smog hassles. I am open source tuned stage 2 and would love to grab the pro tune and flash back to stock. I haven't fiddled with romraider in ages.
T WRX rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.