Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 29, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

Default What's different with the rear inner CV joints among the STI axles??

I have the basic 07 STI trans swap in my 06 WRX wagon. I acquired an 07 STI R180 with a Cusco 1.5 LSD and just got it back after a rebuild at Rallispec.

I plan to keep my 5x100 hubs so have been considering hybrid axles with either SuperDave's way or the SpecB way. Since I acquired some oem wagon axles already, I'm leaning towards the former so looking for a cheap set of STI axles to use the inner CV joint. I figure newer STI axles would be better since they would have less mileage.

However, it seems the inner CV joints are different between the STIs and model year 2011 is the cutoff.

05-11: 28492FE040
11-20: 28492FG000

I can't imagine the difference is due to physical R180 changes as I don't think there's anything different about the R180 all these years.

I think there was some change with the STIs going wider body in 2011 (I could be wrong). So perhaps the 11+ inner CV joints are longer to account for the wider track? I'm just guessing here.

Anybody know the difference between them?

In the end, I'm trying to figure out if I can grab a set of 11+ STI axles to rebuild into hybrid axles with 07 WRX wagon axles. Of course using SuperDave's parts.
REX_WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
Dave D.
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 130990
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
06 Red Ltd.Wagon
Dom 1.5xtr JJ tuned

The Driveshaft Shop can make you axles to fit, I believe:

https://driveshaftshop.com/
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

Yeah I know if I call them up, they can make them for me but it will probably cost $1K. The donor wagon axles I have were free, I'm thinking no more than $200 for STI axles and another $200 for the races I think. Maybe another $100 in miscellaneous parts. I rather keep the $500 but who knows. Down the line I may value my time more and just say eff it and buy the DSS ones.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

bueller?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
ether947
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297799
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
EJ207 version 8

That is weird. I am also in a similar boat. I have an R180 waiting to go in and I need axles as well. I want to convert to bolt-in rear bearings.

So, the WRX changed to widebody in 2011 and got longer rear axles, but the STi more or less remained the same; sans the addition of the widebody sedan.

However, Subaru also lists the complete rear axles as fitting the +2011 WRX, STI, and Impreza.
https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...8421FG022.html

I think their site has an error.

If you are looking at used axles then basically on the diff side you want 27 splines for the R180 (R160 is 25). All rear GR axles (and probably VA too) have 27 splines on the bolt-in hub side. So, a GR WRX rear axle will be 27/25, and GR STI rear axle will be 27/27.

And FWIW, the LGT Spec B rear axles are 25/27; GD WRX are 24/25. And I think all STI axles F/R are 27/27. And just to state the obvious, hybrid rear axles be 24/27.

I am trying to document a lot of this stuff in the link below. After you pop your joints off, let me know what the shaft spline counts are and I will add them to the table.
https://b.obsdian.com/2021/01/15/res...axle-database/

I am also curious to hear how you like the 1.5 LSD. I may just repack my cLSD.
ether947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

you are more than welcome to test out the 1.5 LSD but it's got the smaller flange since I didn't want to invest in a DSS STI driveshaft; I already have the DSS 4EAT one.

You sadden me everytime you want to know how these parts feel LOL. Long story short, I had an overheating idling engine in my driveway and so I don't even want to look into it right now due to heartache and time. Short term I am focused on my SH FXT and long term planning - posts like these - for my GD wagon. If I don't start asking these questions now, there's even less chance in the future they will get answered here in the forums as they die a slow death.

Hardrace parts are still on their way; I just checked in with their USA office. If you are interested to try them out, hit me up after I post some pics of them on NASIOC.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

you are more than welcome to test out the 1.5 LSD but it's got the smaller flange since I didn't want to invest in a DSS STI driveshaft; I already have the DSS 4EAT one.

You sadden me everytime you want to know how these parts feel LOL. Long story short, I had an overheating idling engine in my driveway and so I don't even want to look into it right now due to heartache and time. Short term I am focused on my SH FXT and long term planning - posts like these - for my GD wagon. If I don't start asking these questions now, there's even less chance in the future they will get answered here in the forums as they die a slow death.

Hardrace parts are still on their way; I just checked in with their USA office. If you are interested to try them out, hit me up after I post some pics of them on NASIOC.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #8
ether947
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297799
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
EJ207 version 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_WGN View Post

lol. Well, our mod paths seem to be very similar. At least for now. Hopefully, the overheating issue is an easy fix. I try to think about mods well in advance as well.

If you were local I would consider taking you up on the 1.5 LSD offer (that sounds weird). I do miss my 5MT DSS CF driveshaft. The clunking/lunging is annoying after not having to deal with it for several years. Eventually, I will get another one for the 6MT. The prices are just crazy high right now.

I'm definitely interested in the Hardrace parts. Didn't you order those a year ago?
ether947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

Yes, I also had a 5MT carbon fiber DS until 3rd gear broke and I did the swap. Had the shop throw in a 4EAT oem DS since I wanted the car back on the road. After one drive, I immediately ordered the DSS one lol.

Hardrace order was placed end of September.