Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 29, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #26
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 107618
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
2009 FXT

Default

tylerroberts7, how is the neutral play? In comparison to your previous setup? That slight slop as you move it laterally in the neutral gate?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
REX_WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #27
tylerroberts7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376561
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Crofton, MD
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Nardo Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_WGN View Post
tylerroberts7, how is the neutral play? In comparison to your previous setup? That slight slop as you move it laterally in the neutral gate?
I would say it is very minimal for sure. The kartboy I had is the only thing I can really compare it to. It is maybe about a quarter inch less than that. So I would think that is pretty good
tylerroberts7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #28
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerroberts7 View Post
I would say it is very minimal for sure. The kartboy I had is the only thing I can really compare it to. It is maybe about a quarter inch less than that. So I would think that is pretty good
The bushings should need time to break in. The play will increase as you wear in the new Bushings
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #29
tylerroberts7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376561
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Crofton, MD
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Nardo Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
The bushings should need time to break in. The play will increase as you wear in the new Bushings
There is no real bushings with this setup. The only thing there is, are two spacers that go in where the shift rod connects to the shifter it self. So technically, there shouldn't be anything to really break in
tylerroberts7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #30
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerroberts7 View Post
There is no real bushings with this setup. The only thing there is, are two spacers that go in where the shift rod connects to the shifter it self. So technically, there shouldn't be anything to really break in
What are they made of?
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #31
tylerroberts7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376561
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Crofton, MD
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Nardo Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
What are they made of?
That is a question for DarkmatterX, in the prototype kit they are some type of plastic, but I cannot confirm if that is what will come with the production kits
tylerroberts7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #32
darkmatterx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 526669
Join Date: Sep 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
How much longer will it be in pre-production for pre-order?
Pre-order pricing will be available until we get closer to receiving our first batch which is on schedule for end of November. We will be keeping everyone updated on these timelines through social media.

Cheers,
-Erik
darkmatterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #33
darkmatterx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 526669
Join Date: Sep 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
What are they made of?
Great question,

Pictured in this specific prototype in question, the production sleeve bearing and thrust washer are being used.


We use 3 components in this area, (1) linear sleeve bearing inside the shifter, and (2) thrust washers that go in-between the shifter and the shift arm.

The (1) linear sleeve bearing transfers loads from inside the shifter and into the shank of the 8mm bolt connecting into the shift arm.

The (2) thrust washers enable the shift arm to be securely tightened with the 8mm bolt onto the body of the shifter. Because of the relatively low friction coefficient of the thrust washers, these three materials (Shift arm, thrust washers, Shift body) can be secured together and still function with ease.

Cheers,
-Erik
darkmatterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #34
darkmatterx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 526669
Join Date: Sep 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerroberts7 View Post
There is no real bushings with this setup. The only thing there is, are two spacers that go in where the shift rod connects to the shifter it self. So technically, there shouldn't be anything to really break in
Correct, there are sleeve and thrust bearings in the DM-1 for this connection.

The OEM Subaru design uses two flange bearings with a lower shore hardness rating which may be the reason why it feels more like a bushing and tends to wear out more. The reason it can tighten is because of a metal spacer that passes through both flange bearings and maintains a set distance of 36mm on the STI's. Another place where the OEM design wears out is the 8mm bolt and the fact that the bolt and its shank make direct contact with this metal spacer creating higher friction and wear.

During the design of the DM-1, this is a problem that was identified with the OEM shifter and aftermarket packages, and now has a solution designed into the DM-1.

Cheers,
-Erik
darkmatterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #35
tylerroberts7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376561
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Crofton, MD
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Nardo Grey

Default

Hey everyone, Quick update. Took some time this past weekend to work on a finalized setup. I trimmed a bit more of the shifter plate and managed to utilize the shorter throw setting (upper hole) on the shifter. It is a very nice difference, managed to get the already short shifts even shorter and crisper.

In addition, I added a VA rubber shift boot to help keep down the noise and fill up the open hole to bottom of the car. Pretty straight forward, after removing the foam that comes on the bottom of the VA boot. Just had to trim up the opening at the top to fit the larger shifter assembly through. Then used the shifter plate to sandwich the boot to the chassis.

Finally, I decided to make a shift boot delete plate with some scrap carbon fiber I had here at the shop. I think it came out pretty cool, I really just wanted something different.


tylerroberts7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #36
MezJr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453680
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STI
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

My current setup for context:
2016 STI, TIC tallboy lever, Kartboy stay and chassis bushings, TIC linkage bushings, Raceseng Slammer Knob.

Questions:
- Gear wine; the setup above has some, how is this?
- 2-3 shift; currently if I don't get the angle right it binds, would this alter that or is that behavior inherent to the transmission.
- aftermarket accesories; Assume knobs is no big deal, but things like reverse lockout etc, how do they work here.
- fitting under the regular boot; does it work here, or does the area have to be open?
MezJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #37
tylerroberts7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376561
Join Date: Dec 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Crofton, MD
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Nardo Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezJr View Post
My current setup for context:
2016 STI, TIC tallboy lever, Kartboy stay and chassis bushings, TIC linkage bushings, Raceseng Slammer Knob.

Questions:
- Gear wine; the setup above has some, how is this?
- 2-3 shift; currently if I don't get the angle right it binds, would this alter that or is that behavior inherent to the transmission.
- aftermarket accesories; Assume knobs is no big deal, but things like reverse lockout etc, how do they work here.
- fitting under the regular boot; does it work here, or does the area have to be open?

So I can definitely help here. To start the gear whine is more inherent to the trans itself and not the shifter assembly. I had almost identical setup to you before going with this.

For the 2-3 shift, and really everywhere else for that matter, the shifts are perfectly smooth. I have had no issues with biding or hanging up anywhere. Shifts are very nice and confidence inspiring

As for accessories, the kit does include a reverse lock out ring to fit with the shifter.

And finally for the shift boot, It fits perfectly fine under a shift boot. The shifter assembly even has a shift boot retainer ring built into it just like factory. I just chose to go with the open look to show off the shifter a bit more
tylerroberts7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #38
MezJr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453680
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STI
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

For the Dark matter guys, what's the difference between the preorder and the discount listing on your site?
MezJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:41 AM   #39
MezJr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453680
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STI
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerroberts7 View Post
So I can definitely help here. To start the gear whine is more inherent to the trans itself and not the shifter assembly. I had almost identical setup to you before going with this.

For the 2-3 shift, and really everywhere else for that matter, the shifts are perfectly smooth. I have had no issues with biding or hanging up anywhere. Shifts are very nice and confidence inspiring

As for accessories, the kit does include a reverse lock out ring to fit with the shifter.

And finally for the shift boot, It fits perfectly fine under a shift boot. The shifter assembly even has a shift boot retainer ring built into it just like factory. I just chose to go with the open look to show off the shifter a bit more
The gear wine for sure increased after the Kartboy bushings. This looks like it only attaches to the chassis, so just wondering if it would be quieter than the current setup.

So this wouldn't fit with a raceseng or Cobb lockout pull?
MezJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #40
darkmatterx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 526669
Join Date: Sep 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezJr View Post
For the Dark matter guys, what's the difference between the preorder and the discount listing on your site?
The difference in the two pre-order options is that one option ($699) provides a one-time payment with a massive discount on the shifter.

The second option ($399) is a deposit for those who wish to split the payment up, such as those who utilize payment plans when purchasing items. The second payment is $540 which will still result in a $150 discount from the MSRP once the production shifter is available.

There are further details on each respective page on the website if you wish to know more!

Does that answer your question?

-Erik
darkmatterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #41
darkmatterx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 526669
Join Date: Sep 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezJr View Post
The gear wine for sure increased after the Kartboy bushings. This looks like it only attaches to the chassis, so just wondering if it would be quieter than the current setup.

So this wouldn't fit with a raceseng or Cobb lockout pull?
Correct, the DM-1 shifter will not be compatible with any other brands lockout mechanisms.

-Erik
darkmatterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #42
MezJr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453680
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, TX
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STI
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatterx View Post
The difference in the two pre-order options is that one option ($699) provides a one-time payment with a massive discount on the shifter.

The second option ($399) is a deposit for those who wish to split the payment up, such as those who utilize payment plans when purchasing items. The second payment is $540 which will still result in a $150 discount from the MSRP once the production shifter is available.

There are further details on each respective page on the website if you wish to know more!

Does that answer your question?

-Erik
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks! Look for my order.
MezJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #43
darkmatterx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 526669
Join Date: Sep 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MezJr View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks! Look for my order.
Received, and thank you!

-Erik
darkmatterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #44
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

What is the weight of a production unit compared to the OEM shifter?
car_freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:53 PM   #45
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Was able to get on the list for the pre-orders! Can't wait to get mine.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #46
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_freak85 View Post
What is the weight of a production unit compared to the OEM shifter?



Email DMX
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #47
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Email DMX
Nah, it was more out of curiosity than anything. I'm still trying to understand the benefit of a $1,000 short shifter over, well, anything else on the market.
car_freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #48
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Vehicle:
Link tuned 02 WRX
EJ205 20G-XTR JDM 6MT E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_freak85 View Post
Nah, it was more out of curiosity than anything. I'm still trying to understand the benefit of a $1,000 short shifter over, well, anything else on the market.
Yeah it's more than just a short shifter which is the whole point.

Its a chassis mounted assembly
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #49
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Yeah it's more than just a short shifter which is the whole point.

Its a chassis mounted assembly
I mean, cool, it's chassis-mounted and adjustable... And?

Who adjusts their shifter more than once after the initial installation/test drive? Do folks actually adjust it for the street, shorten it when you get to the track, then re-adjust it for the drive home...? At some point, you're adjusting in a mechanical advantage that the syncros were never spec'd for.

Hyper-adjustability aside, I've never had an issue shifting the OEM-trans-mounted stock, or OEM short shifters on 5-speeds or 6-speeds. What benefit(s) does chassis-mounting provide? Less shifter wiggle when paired with OEM engine/trans/pitch mounts?

Don't take the above as me trying to bash the product. It seems like an interesting engineering design challenge, and we need fresh blood and innovation in the GD-aftermarket space... But the cost/benefit analysis on this product just doesn't pencil out for me.
car_freak85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #50
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 525652
Join Date: Jul 2021
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_freak85 View Post
I mean, cool, it's chassis-mounted and adjustable... And?

Who adjusts their shifter more than once after the initial installation/test drive? Do folks actually adjust it for the street, shorten it when you get to the track, then re-adjust it for the drive home...? At some point, you're adjusting in a mechanical advantage that the syncros were never spec'd for.

Hyper-adjustability aside, I've never had an issue shifting the OEM-trans-mounted stock, or OEM short shifters on 5-speeds or 6-speeds. What benefit(s) does chassis-mounting provide? Less shifter wiggle when paired with OEM engine/trans/pitch mounts?

Don't take the above as me trying to bash the product. It seems like an interesting engineering design challenge, and we need fresh blood and innovation in the GD-aftermarket space... But the cost/benefit analysis on this product just doesn't pencil out for me.
Agreed. I dig the ingenuity and engineering that went into this and would love to have it for my 06. But the price tag is way prohibitive, even for most all out race cars out there. There are equally as effective and 10 times cheaper solutions for the shifter on the market already
xtremewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.