Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-28-2000, 12:27 AM   #1
llonman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1002
Vehicle:
97 Impreza OBS
Green

Post Removing crankshaft pulley

Anyone know an easy way to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. I have to replace the seal and the manual states to use a "chain wrench" to hold the crank in place while you loosen the bolt. A friend said that might damage the crank. I noticed in the modifications area the Unorthodox Pulley install said that you could put the car in 5th and step on the brakes. I have an AT so that wouldn’t work. Any suggestions or tips from anyone who has replaced the cam or crank seals as I am replacing both and the timing belt since I will have everything off anyway.

Thanks,

Lonnie
Old 08-28-2000, 12:34 AM   #2
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red

Arrow

Well here is what I did. If I remember right it's a 22mm bolt. I removed both fans and covered the fins of the radiator with some cardboard so as not to mess them up. I got a 1/2" drive ratchet and stuck the pipe from my floor jack (~36" long) on the end of it. I had my wife sit in the car and step on the brake to prevent the car from rolling. Then I gave a good push on the pipe. That's what did it for me. Once the bolt was loose the pulley came off easly. Don't forget "righty tighty and lefty loosey"

Peaty
Old 08-27-2000, 02:56 PM   #3
llonman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 Impreza OBS
Green

Will holding the brake work with an Automatic?
Old 08-27-2000, 02:58 PM   #4
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Vehicle:
2019 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red

Have a Nice Day?

That's a very good question. I guess it will if it's in park. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-27-2000, 03:01 PM   #5
Narso
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1442
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Smile

Lonnie,

I think simply leaving the car in Park will do the trick. Be sure to use the longest wrench and breaker bar you can get your hands on. DO NOT use a ratchet, I broke 3 (2 Craftsmans) before I learned that lesson.
Good Luck,

Dan
Old 08-27-2000, 03:02 PM   #6
8Complex

Member#: 922
Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

One warning - Be carful of hitting the pipe extension against the fender of the car. That'd be both painful and expensive.

BTW, not sure about an automatic since there is no actual gear contact (torque converter in between). You might be able to just yank it against one of the compression cycles, but I'm not sure...
Old 08-27-2000, 05:52 PM   #7
llonman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 Impreza OBS
Green

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 08-27-2000, 07:36 PM   #8
LangstonSubaru
Vendor

Member#: 2175
Lightbulb

I've seen the techs at work do this one. Take the right size socket and 1/2" breaker bar and lay the end of the bar on top of the left frame rail.Use about an 18" long breaker bar for this. After bar is on socket and up against frame rail just give the ignition key a good tap. You might want to unplug the igniter so you're sure it doesn't start. This will break the bolt loose. Only problem is how to properly tighten without the correct Subaru tool! I don't have a trick for you there. Anyone else care to comment on that one?
Old 08-28-2000, 07:14 AM   #9
llonman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97 Impreza OBS
Green

I was thinking that I could use the same procedure in reverse for tightening the crank bolt. I am starting to think that if the cam seals are what is leaking I will just leave the crank seal alone. I just thought it might be better to replace them all at one time, but it may not be worth the effort if is is not leaking.

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by llonman (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old 08-28-2000, 01:23 PM   #10
JP Money
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 909
We used the "click Engine on" trick for my U-pulley install. We unpluged the coil pack first so it wouldnt start, then put the 22mm socket w/breaker bar against the ground and i fliped the ignition once or twice really fast. This was enought to loosen it.

Forgot to mention, this was with my fan's removed. That was the only way to get the breaker bar in there.

Stepping on the brakes with the gear knob in 1st, 5th.. etc, didnt work. With a turn on the big breaker bar, it merely turned the crankshaft. It took a jolt from the engine (turning key) to loosen it.

-JP