Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday February 28, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487583
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Default Spring Suggestions for Tokico D-Spec's

I will start with yes, I used the search feature, and no I did not find anything conclusive on my particular question. So if there is an existing thread answering this, I apologize and please direct me to it, thank you.

I just bought a 2006 WRX TR with Tokico D-Spec's installed and I love the ride and adjustability of them but want a lower ride height. I'm mainly looking to lower the front to get rid of the horrendous factory wheel gap but still want a comfortable ride.

Is anyone currently running a D-Spec and lowering spring combo? If so, what springs and how do you like them? Pics are always appreciated as well.

TIA for all input and suggestions.
ED_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
shagfagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337836
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

lowering means you need a higher spring rate to prevent riding on the bump stops, and subarus have very little bump travel to begin with.

Higher spring rate = higher ride frequency = less comfortable, no way around it. With that said, I dont know what you consider a "comfortable ride", but it will get worse than it is now, not stay the same.
shagfagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
OAKOS Automotive
NASIOC Storefront Vendor

Member#: 18261
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX w/
V9 Spec-C EJ207

I would highly recommend you check these out:

https://www.oakos.com/RCE-GDF300.htm

I paired them with my personal D-Specs wayback when and it was an awesome combo. You will sacrifice comfort a bit, but that's going to be case with any method of lowering your car.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about them.

Nolan
OAKOS Automotive
OAKOS Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
2pot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301042

Or these?:
Eibach WA/A2

245/223lb/in
Front and rear bump stops + dust boots included (for non-inverted struts).
Minus 23mm front, stock height rear.
Use bug rear top mounts.
$375 + delivery

Last edited by 2pot; 01-10-2020 at 02:04 PM.
2pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagfagon View Post
lowering means you need a higher spring rate to prevent riding on the bump stops, and subarus have very little bump travel to begin with.

Higher spring rate = higher ride frequency = less comfortable, no way around it. With that said, I dont know what you consider a "comfortable ride", but it will get worse than it is now, not stay the same.
Right, I had Tein Street Basis Coilovers on my previous WRX and I found them extremely comfortable, whereas I had BC Racing coils on another car that rode terribly stiff, in case that happens to give a better idea on my idea of a "comfortable ride".

I suppose the better way of phrasing my question is what lowering spring would offer the CLOSEST to the current comfort level of the stock spring+Tokico D-Spec combo I'm running.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAKOS Automotive View Post

I paired them with my personal D-Specs wayback when and it was an awesome combo. You will sacrifice comfort a bit, but that's going to be case with any method of lowering your car.

Nolan
OAKOS Automotive

PMíd!
Old 01-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
Millencolin!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88219
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

You have many options. I believe the main contributors to "uncomfortable ride" are poor damping or poor spring rate pairings front vs rear. You've got the D-Specs which solves the damping problem, assuming they aren't worn out.

If this is a street car I'd suggest a modest drop of 1" or less and maybe get fresh bump stops depending on whats currently there.

I like the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my 2003 WRX, I'd recommend them. I'm still running the OEM struts at 200k miles and I only hit the bump stops on bigger high speed dips or big bumps. I'd also recommend Swift Sport springs.
Millencolin! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millencolin! View Post
You have many options. I believe the main contributors to "uncomfortable ride" are poor damping or poor spring rate pairings front vs rear. You've got the D-Specs which solves the damping problem, assuming they aren't worn out.

If this is a street car I'd suggest a modest drop of 1" or less and maybe get fresh bump stops depending on whats currently there.

I like the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my 2003 WRX, I'd recommend them. I'm still running the OEM struts at 200k miles and I only hit the bump stops on bigger high speed dips or big bumps. I'd also recommend Swift Sport springs.

Thatís a good point and great suggestion about the bump stops, I hadnít thought of that. I will take a further look at the Eibach and Swift springs, thanks!
Old 01-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
Muffin15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326958
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
San Remo Red

I second the Eibach pro springs or the blue Prodrive lowering springs (which I've heard are manufactured by Eibach so there's a good chance they're exactly the same). I've been running the Tokico's with Prodrive lowering springs on my 06 for about a year and a half now. Very reasonable amount of wheel gap but still enough ground clearance that I don't every worry about scraping my bumper except for extreme cases. I've only ever had the Tokico's set to maximum stiffness and found that large bumps make the car feel a little bouncy. Perhaps adjusting them softer would help, but I like the road feedback stiff suspension gives.

Very pleased with the combo and would recommend them to anyone over cheap/budget coilovers, especially up her in Maine/New England where coilovers can be a problem when trying to adjust if not maintained.
Muffin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAKOS Automotive View Post

Nolan
OAKOS Automotive
This right here. Call this guy. Buy these springs. This thread is done.

Oh! and do yourself a favor and get the group n top hats from them while you're at it.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:24 AM   #11
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post

Oh! and do yourself a favor and get the group n top hats from them while you're at it.

All I hear is great things about BOTH of you guys, so sounds like a done deal to me. Thank you all for the feedback and info!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
2pot
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts View Post

What bump stops would you suggest he uses?
As the front stops, that come with the springs, are the old Prodrive, soft-nose, 50mm, for inverted struts.
Why use group n top hats on the rear?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
2pot
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin15 View Post
I second the Eibach pro springs or the blue Prodrive lowering springs (which I've heard are manufactured by Eibach so there's a good chance they're exactly the same). I've been running the Tokico's with Prodrive lowering springs on my 06 for about a year and a half now. Very reasonable amount of wheel gap but still enough ground clearance that I don't every worry about scraping my bumper except for extreme cases. I've only ever had the Tokico's set to maximum stiffness and found that large bumps make the car feel a little bouncy. Perhaps adjusting them softer would help, but I like the road feedback stiff suspension gives.

Very pleased with the combo and would recommend them to anyone over cheap/budget coilovers, especially up her in Maine/New England where coilovers can be a problem when trying to adjust if not maintained.
Eibach pro and Prodrive blue are different.
You are massively over-damped if using the Tokico's at max setting.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #14
2pot
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED_WRX View Post
I will start with yes, I used the search feature, and no I did not find anything conclusive on my particular question. So if there is an existing thread answering this, I apologize and please direct me to it, thank you.

I just bought a 2006 WRX TR with Tokico D-Spec's installed and I love the ride and adjustability of them but want a lower ride height. I'm mainly looking to lower the front to get rid of the horrendous factory wheel gap but still want a comfortable ride.

Is anyone currently running a D-Spec and lowering spring combo? If so, what springs and how do you like them? Pics are always appreciated as well.

TIA for all input and suggestions.
The front arch is cut higher than the rear, so you don't hit the tyre on the arch when turning, at full suspension compression.
The chassis is still positive rake, even though it looks negative.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pot View Post
The front arch is cut higher than the rear, so you don't hit the tyre on the arch when turning, at full suspension compression.

The chassis is still positive rake, even though it looks negative.

Interesting, I vaguely remember reading that awhile ago now that you mention it. But Iíll take any improvement I can get, especially if I can achieve better handling in the process lol.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #16
2pot
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagfagon View Post

^ This
You can use shorter, stiffer, stops - too gain back some clearance at static ride height..
Although the front, rock-hard, 60mm stops in the inverted Impreza struts were a form of pitch control = too much understeer on undulating/uneven roads and poor weather.
You can play with the damping, to mask the issues of springs that are of too high a rate, for the required purpose. But, why not select springs of the correct rate.

Last edited by 2pot; 01-11-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
2pot
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED_WRX View Post
Interesting, I vaguely remember reading that awhile ago now that you mention it. But I’ll take any improvement I can get, especially if I can achieve better handling in the process lol.
Lowering the front, to increase positive chassis rake, can help an understeering road car.

A, relatively, higher rear ride height moves the roll centre rearward, increasing rear roll resistance.
That, in turn, makes the front end roll more - helping turn-in response and reducing understeer, without the use of stiffer bars.
You want the smallest bars possible, on a road car, to avoid 'roll-rock'.
Roll-rock:
If the spring rate is relatively low and the bar is too stiff, a suspension movement, initially, occurring on only one side of the vehicle, will be transmitted to the other side, inducing an unsettling 'roll-rock' motion and destablizing both tyre contact patches on both sides.

Bump stop selection also helps mitigate against understeer (softer front, stiffer rear). Stops don't transmit one-wheel bumps, unlike a bigger bar.
On undulating/uneven roads, you may find the use of bigger bars unhelpful.

On undulating/uneven/poor roads I wouldn't use a front spring greater than 200lb/in.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #18
ED_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pot View Post
Lowering the front, to increase positive chassis rake, can help an understeering road car.

A, relatively, higher rear ride height moves the roll centre rearward, increasing rear roll resistance.
That, in turn, makes the front end roll more - helping turn-in response and reducing understeer, without the use of stiffer bars.
You want the smallest bars possible, on a road car, to avoid 'roll-rock'.
Roll-rock:
If the spring rate is relatively low and the bar is too stiff, a suspension movement, initially, occurring on only one side of the vehicle, will be transmitted to the other side, inducing an unsettling 'roll-rock' motion and destablizing both tyre contact patches on both sides.

Bump stop selection also helps mitigate against understeer (softer front, stiffer rear). Stops don't transmit one-wheel bumps, unlike a bigger bar.
On undulating/uneven roads, you may find the use of bigger bars unhelpful.

On undulating/uneven/poor roads I wouldn't use a front spring greater than 200lb/in.

This is super informative and helpful, thank you so much. I will definitely be referring to this as I pull together my suspension shopping list.