Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 5, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
Steven.smith111
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511272
Default 2004 STI Speedo troubles

Hi everyone so first and foremost ive scoured the internet for a fix here and i just cant seem to find it so if i passed over something our i didnt dig deep enough i apologize ahead of time. I have a 2004 STI that is sitting at 44,000miles and i bought it about 6,000 miles ago. recently the speedo stopped working sortof and it acting weird. originally i thought it was liquid hitting a wiring harness and i still think it but am unsure how to address it. about a month ago the speedo started jumping up and down and sometimes not working all together. but i have a cobb accessport and the accessport read the Vehicle speed just fine with no worries. it seemed like this would only happen in rainy/snowy weather or after the car was washed that day. when the car was dry i never had any troubles. well about a week ago both speedos stopped entirely nothing would tell me my speed. i replaced the Vehicle speed sensor on the transmission and im back to step one. the accessport will always read the speed with no issue what so ever and if the car is wet the main speedo will bounce around or not work. i have a front mounted intercooler so my hood scoop does leave quite alot if area open to the elements but i dont understand why the car would have so much trouble being wet. i even need to place towels in the scoup to block out water or sometimes the car will not even start due to the water on the wiring. ive looked at the wires up and down and dont see any exposed innards. is there a specific place i should look? or should i replace something in particular? any help is super appreciated!! thanks
Steven.smith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
contaminatrix
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435611
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2002 SG5-2.0-XT-JDM
45A, originally 18L

why assume it is wet when all the wiring is unexposed as you say?

have you removed the speedo cluster and checked for a loose fitting cable? have you followed that cable to where it connects? and if not the cable, maybe the actual speedo pins are loose....?

i suspect something lose because jumping up and down would infer touch-release interference. OR, at the ecu location something is loose.

i always say, if when washed something happens e.g, CEL, bucking or anything untoward, then something needs to be tightened, hidden or replaced.

OR,
contaminatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

If the accessport is reading speed, the speed sensor works.

If you have a sunroof, maybe check and see if its drain in the front is somehow wetting the wiring on the driver side, or maybe the passenger side near the engine computer. Some vehicles have four drain hoses, one on each corner.

Other than that, could it be coincidence and the speedometer motor is actually faulty?
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote