Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 3, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
Edgars
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 502233
Default what mods for more power out of an EJ222

hi,
I have a EJ22-2 phase 2 engine.
it runs really great but since I'm racing it I want more power!
I am thinking of putting some bigger cams on the SOHC head and putting that flatter like (idk much about it) intake manifold on it.
they are single port heads and I've heard as much good as I've heard bad about them, I quite like the sound but I'm not sure they are that good
I have some exaust that some guy before DIY'd probably, but it's like the loudest exaust I've ever heard when I bypass the back muffler by smacking a pipe in it
so it's gotta be flowing good

anyway I can't afford like full forged bottom end in it yet so recommend me some cheapo alternatives if any.

I am thinking about also porting and polishing those heads, I've never done that and maybe I'll try on a lada head I have just laying around just the get the hang of it

also one more thing, I want to keep it NA for now since turbo's add quite a bit of complexity I don't want to deal with really. BUT, I think getting decent power out of an NA engine without getting really involved is harder. what are your thoughts?

also I am thinking about tricking the ECU to do some awesome stuff would be fun but I'm not familiar with how it works so I'll need to study it for that.
and ^ that is cause if I modify the stock ECU to suit my needs I "wont" need to buy a race ecu hence more money for engine stuff.

anyway, I'll be happy to get any answer even if it is something like "swap an sti engine in it"

of one thing I forgot, I am really interested in the idea of a stroker. but I haven't seen much of any NA EJ222 strokers out there except this:
(which sounds like a monster engine)
since AFAIK, strokers improve throttle response, torque but can't hold as much RPM.
maybe destroking it for higher revs?
I thought of using parts from a EJ20 phase one NA engine since it's uselessly laying around for me right now. to destroke it but then it will probably get read complex in all the dimmensions of parts and stuff. idk I'm pretty new to all this but want to claim that I have like a Ej222 destroked with EJ20 parts or something

Last edited by Edgars; 03-06-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Edgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

If you're competing with the car, the most important thing to start with is the rule book. What are you allowed to do and stay in class.

N/A engines are difficult to get much out of. They're actually pretty good stock with high compression. Cams are one of the best mods for an N/A car. I've seen only a few cars well done N/A because cams are expensive and if you're paying someone to install them, you're at the cost of at least a used WRX engine complete. Tuning will be up to you as the aftermarket world sticks with turbo cars.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Edgars
Scooby Newbie

so I want to destroke my EJ22-2 98 phase 2 engine with parts from my 00' phase 2 EJ16 engine (gc4)
is the rod longer or the rod pin lower in the piston for the EJ16?
does the crank from the EJ16 fit in the EH22?
is the rod pin diameter the same on both engines?
do the EJ16 heads fit on the EJ22? (since EJ22-2 has single port heads and the EH16 - dual port ones)

so after I destroke it I'll gain back power with some turbo I'll adapt from some diffrent car, I'll figure it out, but I don't want to take appart my engine yet if I am not sure this will work. so I'm asking for that.

oh and the rules only say that in the class I am in right now my engine has to be below 2800cc's, it's gotta be NA, and it's gotta have inspection, but I'll just swap engines to get it inspected and then swap back to race xD
and yeah the rules are pretty crap, but it only helps me in this case, kinda.

oh and I know I said I wanted to keep it NA, but I think I'm too much on a shoestring budget to get more power NA, so I'll turbo it. and yes it will make me have to move up to a turbo class but that doesn't bother me, I'll just have more fun racing those sti drivers
Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

If you turbo, you need to first lower compression. I would do this with lower compression pistons. But with more power, you're looking at internal part upgrades, which gets into money. You talked about cams. That's the best way I know of to gain power in a N/A Subaru. Since the car is for race, you simply run a race cam, which will do old school added lift and duration. You don't need all this variable valve timing in a full blown racecar. Good luck.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
lefty o
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512654
Vehicle:
2019 wrx
red

the big blue bottle will get you more power quickly. just dont be greedy with it.
lefty o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #6
Edgars
Scooby Newbie

so I said I want to destroke it, so this (if it fits) will decrease the compresion.
then I want to swap the heads for dual port ones, also I'll P&P them, install heavier valve springs, and maybe research stock cam specs, maybe I can find a stock cam for cheap that has more lift/duration
I don't want to put nos on the engine because of a lot of reasons.

also, do I really need the oil squirters for the pistons if I'm going for like 200-300hp no more than that.
also, stock cast bottom end should hold like 200-300hp afaik.