Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday February 20, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #1
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498493
Default Newbie log help

Hello!

I can't post attachments but I'll put a link to my romraider thread:
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...p?f=15&t=16720

I'm just getting started tuning my 05 USDM WRX. Only mods are Snorkus delete (yes, just for the noise) and CBI. I have a catless DP and UP but wanted to get a handle on tuning first plus awaiting a proper WBO2 (it's coming).

I looked for a decent base map. Found this one by Testes1010 which had good reviews and I'm running E10 92oct so should be safe.

Looking at it I thought it was a bit too aggressive on boost so pulled that down then started logging. Had immediate FBKC and dropping IAM even out of boost. So following some threads I changed the parameters for IAM learning to above 1g/rev which seemed to be recommended to tune out false knock.
Still having issues (perhaps not the best map in hind sight) on my initial low RPM/Throttle logs. Added fuel, went back to stock timing and started pulling that back. Thoughts on what I'm working with now are appreciated (logs at bottom).

It seems like I need to add some fuel and also pull timing at ~2800rpm-1.3g/rev and blend it into what seems to be working at 3200-1.5g/rev

There isn't much to learn from learning view as yet since I haven't run a tune long enough to get much adjustment mainly because the issues have been easy to spot.

Any insight would be great. I understand the theory but this it somewhat new to me.

Logs:
https://datazap.me/u/grantmac/12220?log ... 2-3-7-9-10
https://datazap.me/u/grantmac/log-15797 ... x=14131.64
https://datazap.me/u/grantmac/12220-0?l ... 9-10-11-13

Thanks,
Grant
Grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
kopele
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Black

You are running lean. Do your mods require a MAF sensor rescale? I'm not sure what CBI is.
You could have a post-MAF vacuum leak sucking in unmetered air, that would be the easiest to check. Another possibility is a failing fuel pump, you'll need to check your fuel pressure. Or just replace the pump, if it's easier. I wouldn't push the car too hard in this condition, you could damage it.
kopele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

Stock intake minus snorkus. Not getting any low load MAF learning but I'll look around for a leak. If its pre turbo I should be able to find it with ether.
CBI=Cat back. I just accidentally swapped the E for I.

Definitely not pushing at all. Plus I scaled boost back again since this. Not getting any knock now.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

Ok so I cleaned my MAF plus tracked down a small leak between it and the turbo using ether.
Flashed in a stock tune with the exception of having it set for an intial IAM of 14 to speed learning, plus transitions to open loop much faster.
Pull:
https://datazap.me/u/grantmac/log-15...data=1-2-3-5-9

Immediately managed to get to IAM 16, then had a little fine correction knock which is surprising since I'm on 94 octane and it's a stock map. I looked and this is the region where the stock map can add a lot of advance over base. I dropped the base timing a little. Also not thrilled with the fueling since it isn't coming in smooth with boost plus a bit lean so added a touch there too.
Pull
https://datazap.me/u/grantmac/log-15...ata=1-3-6-9-11

Fueling is much improved and if it weren't for the IAM dropping to 15 I'd have been very thrilled with this one. I noticed the stock advance map is more aggressive than the Stage 1 I've got in this particular area, so I dropped that down a touch.

More logging tomorrow then going try to increase RPM and see how that goes.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

Update. Was still crap once I got into boost. AFR unable and actually got a misfire code although no det. Ripped into the PCV system and cleaned the valve (didn't really need it but there anyways). Smoke checked the hell out of it.

Finally broke down and recleaned the MAF using the end of a Q-tip fluffed out (to make it softer) soaked in cleaner. First gentle brush came out with a black line exactly where the wire is. Kept on with fresh swabs until they came out clean.

Reassembled and suddenly things make sense plus my vacuum at idle is back to a reasonable ~-8.5psi where before it was mid 7s (we are at 1000ft and a low pressure system is passing). Took it for a little pull and immediately getting higher G/rev for a give RPM and boost, like a LOT higher. Fueling now matching the map within 0.5AFR and pulls cleanly. Staying at IAM16 and just getting a little fine learning correction which I'm homing in on then I'll start raising the boost to a conservative 16psi.

This is a 2nd gear pull:
https://datazap.me/u/grantmac/log-15...0&tmax=3728.17

I've added another 0.5AFR from the start of spool and pulled timing both at the FBKC and FLKC points.

I see to be talking to myself but I figure this might help a future newbie. Especially since most MAF cleaning recommendations say explicitly to NOT use any form of contact which was clearly not productive here.

-Grant
Old 01-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
kopele
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STI
Black

Glad you have it straightened out! I've used a q-tip to clean the MAF also, but I don't remember reading about the no contact recommendation.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

The instructions always say spray only which did nothing for mine. Some even say don't spray directly.

Still not totally happy with the tune but getting good enough to add some boost once I get a proper WB next week.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
kopele
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 STI
Black

The last log is still a bit lean. You might be running out of fuel pump if you bump up the MAF sensor scaling table and you don't see an improvement. Try logging Final Fueling Base to see what AFR the car is trying to achieve.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

Currently dealing with misfire above 12psi that I'm hoping a couple of coils will fix. Fueling is now following the table much more closely within the limits of the stock WB. Innovate arrives monday which will tell the real tale.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #10
Grantmac
Scooby Newbie

Bkr6eix gapped to 0.025 has solved the misfire. Working on higher RPM fueling and adding more boost.