Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Road Toad
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49777
Vehicle:
04 Turbo Blk/Blk
01 BMW M Coupe Blk/Blk

Default Snuglid locks tailgate! & Install Tips

Just finished my install this weekend.

1. One unexpected benefit of the Snuglid. Because it fits OVER the plastic bed rails, even across the top of the tailgate; it effectively LOCKS THE TAILGATE! Cool!

2. Had no problem with the six 40mm #6 bolts Snuglid provided to bolt the two frames to the bed side walls.

3. Had a tough time getting the front lid to fit down between the rear edge of the cab roof and the sport bars. You need two people; one to hold one end of the lid up and the other to futz with the end you're trying to fit. Basically you fit one side and then the other; you can't do both at once because of the outward slant of the rear edge of the cab roof. It's hard to visualize what the final fit will look like until you get one side fitted. It fits much lower than you originally think. I needed the second person to almost sit on the end I'd almost fitted to force it down into the space where it will end up. Once you see how one end fits, the other is easy!

4. My Snuglid came with the front L bracket already attached to each rail with one bolt. So I just added the other bolt and started off trying to get the front lid down close enough to the L bracket to start the screw into the captive nut in the lid. Initially, it seemed impossible! After futzing around some more I finally loosened up ALL the bolts in ALL the various pieces. THIS IS THE ANSWER! I think each install will be slightly different and thus the key is to ALLOW ALL CONNECTIONS TO FLEX WHILE FITTING! This provides a surprising amount of movement to allow you to start bolt and screws in their respective nuts.

5. Finally, I'd add even MORE tape to the back lower corner of the front lid, as well as the taping Snuglid recommends, to prevent scratching the paint on either the lid or the bedside.

John
Road Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52587
Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

Default Where did you get your lid from?

I am in the market and I am trying to decide between snug and the glasstite product. Any thoughts? I don't want to give up the flexibility of an open bed. How hard is it to remove the top?

Thanks!
dtesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Road Toad
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Turbo Blk/Blk
01 BMW M Coupe Blk/Blk

Default Snuglid Distributor in St. Louis

It was $949 plus $150 shipping. Takes 2 guys an hour to install. I'm not familiar with the Glasstiite product. The Snuglid is easy to remove the rear 3/4 lid (from the sport bars back). One guy could probably remove it, but it'd be easier with two. Total removal time for the rear 3/4 lid is 30 seconds: unscrew a knob on each side and lift off the Snuglid. It takes two people to put it back on because you have to guide the hinges into pockets on each side rail. To remove the front 1/4 lid, it would take one guy 1/2 hour but then I'm guessing it would take 2 guys 1/2 hour to put it back on.

John
Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

I was able to install it by myself and it took me over an hour (mostly because I stoped every few minutes to take pictures for this forum.) As Road Toad said, It's easy to take the back lid off. Just two bolts and lift up. The back lid is mounted on a bracket that has everything connected to it.

I figure once you know how the front lid goes on it'll take half the time to put it on again. There is just ~7 bolts/screws to remove the front lid and suport bar. You might get by with not installing all the bolts but it would not have as good of a water tight seal against the back cab.
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52587
Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

Sound like the way to go. Can anyone give me a number and contact point? thanks!
dtesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
Pow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54811
Vehicle:
2006 Baja
Atlantic Blue Pearl

To both Road Toad and braveit1, thanks for all the Snuglid info you guys have provided. Hopefully I will order one through my local Subaru dealer before the end of summer. (Hmm... maybe I should get that subie credit card and start earning points for parts...) Right now all my spare cash is going into my upcoming wedding. My fiancée and I are pretty well stocked with stuff for around the home and therefore haven't done much in the way of a registry, hopefully we'll get mucho deniro for gifts and I'll be able to send some of it toward a Snuglid purchase. So long as the accountant approves... (or doesn't notice)

-Pow
Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

dtesta, I got mine from 'Q' at Ideal Automotive. They are an offical Snuglid dealer. The Tampa location can be reached at 1-888-711-6655 or their web page www.idealauto.com
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
Road Toad
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Turbo Blk/Blk
01 BMW M Coupe Blk/Blk

Default Snug Top Miwest Distributor

Mid-America Truck Tops, Eureka, Missouri,
Toll Free 1 (866) SnugLid