Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
colby1321
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 267408
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
08 WRX Sedan
VF 52'd Satin White Pearl

Default 03 Wrx ecuflash and test mode help

Iíve seen a bunch of similar posts but none with exact problem or a solution for me so I figured Iíd post and see what happens.

Iíve got an 03 Wrx wagon I got with no engine
Purchased an jdm ej20 out of an sg5 forester xt
Motor compression tested fine, went in fine, used the jdm engine harness and purchased the iaperformance Avcs wiring kit to run the avcs of the motor. I also got a jdm ecu with the engine that I researched some and found it to be a jdm fxt ecu.

So I got everything in, avcs wiring all hooked up, jdm ecu all plugged in and hooked up. I also have a jdm v7 prodrive cluster in the car as well.

So Iíve had open source for a long time. I have an 08 that Iíve flashed and read and logged and all that and never had an issue, car would do everything it was supposed to. This is my first experience tuning an 03 and I forgot that you needed to plug in the green connectors to get the car into test mode. So I was trying to connect to ecuflash to read the current rom on the ecu and get a tune started and I couldnít connect no matter what I tried. Realized I needed the green connectors plugged in so I plugged together the ones under the steering wheel and I checked the ones on the passenger side under the kick panel. Both connected. Also installed the white flash connector as well to see if that would help. Still getting nothing. I plug in the openport and it comes up in the bottom of ecuflash that itís connected but the buttons up top do not show up to read and write and test write and such. Canít select a vehicle either at all, nothing comes up. Iíve uninstalled and reinstalled ecuflash and rom raider. Iíve been told that the pasting of definitions into certain folders and stuff isnít necessary anymore from Matt miner so I just uninstalled everything and tried reinstalling new versions and am still having the same issue.

The car wonít even go into test mode at all. I turn the key to on after plugging in the green and white connectors and I get no fans cycling or cel popping up. The cel doesnít even illuminate with or without the test connectors hooked up, not sure if itís just the v7 cluster I got or what but Iíve never noticed it come on when turning the key on. Iím not sure if thatís showing some problem and why the car isnít entering test mode. Maybe this ecu is junk?

My next step is to try the us ecu and the cluster and see what it does. But Iím not sure if the cel never lighting up or the car not going into test mode with the connectors are connected and showing a bad ecu or something. Iíve seen people with similar problems of the car not entering test mode but Iím trying to figure if itís got something to do with the jdm cluster or ecu.

I have the openport 2.0
Windows 10
Newest ecuflash off their site
Newest romraider off their site
All the defs that come in the new versions
All drivers are installed and the computer recognizes the openport.

It keeps saying j2534 error timeout.
When I plug the openport into the obd it lights up red for a second and then cycles the colors, not sure if that matters. The car wonít enter test mode for whatever reason with everything connected and the white flash block connected. Help

Last edited by colby1321; 01-29-2018 at 06:53 AM.
colby1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
CarmelValleyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453872
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon
48w

if the CEL is not coming on ECU might not be working for some reason.
CarmelValleyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
colby1321
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 WRX Sedan

Does anyone know if the 2.0 fxt and Wrx ecu have the same pins? Iíve found the pin out for the chassis and how they relate the the ecu but as for a jdm fxt ecu I cant find any trumps of diagram. I can find some for the 2.5 fxt but nothing for like an sg5 2.0 fxt. I saw somewhere that one person had posted that the fxt ecu would have a couple different pins in the harness but Iíve had the tuner and Iíve seen a few other places that the fxt ecu will work with the jdm swap, 16 but ecu. All the connectors plugged in fine on the jdm ecu. I wouldnít be surprised if the one I got was junk that I got since it was one they had ďlaying aroundĒ and they threw it in with the engine I bought.

I know that with the usdm ecu in the car, before I even had the engine in the car, I turned the key on with the battery hooked up and the fuel pump primed and all that. Had to put one of the windows up in the car.

Iím 99% on all the grounds. I checked ones I could see with the engine out and when I put the new motor in I checked all the engine grounds on the harness and made sure they were right and clean.

Later if the snow holds out Iíll do some checking of the power going to the ecu and main fuses etc and see what I find
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
CarmelValleyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453872
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon
48w

im pretty sure the jdm forester with ej205 is DBW so ecu probably wont work on a wrx.
CarmelValleyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
colby1321
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 WRX Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelValleyWRX View Post
im pretty sure the jdm forester with ej205 is DBW so ecu probably wont work on a wrx.

Iíve seen a few post on different forums and stuff that the 02-03 jdm forester had the cable throttle body but Iím still searching to see how true that is
Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
colby1321
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 WRX Sedan

Got my new jdm ecu and the cel comes on now and the car enters test mode, fans cycle on and off. Only thing Iím noticing now as compared to the usdm ecu is that when the car is in test mode now with the jdm ecu, the cel doesnít flash it just stays on solid. With the usdm ecu the cel flashes like itís supposed to. My computer is all messed up or something since I still canít get ecuflash to hook up. Iím restoring my computer back to the factory and then going to reinstall everything and go from there and see if it has better luck connecting. If not Iíll just have to get in contact with tactrix and see what they say. Maybe my cable is junk? I guess weíll see