Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Ikea_Wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477215
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default Pros and Cons of going from a ej255 to a ej20x on a usdm 08+ wrx?

Been doing research on this engine swap and it seems pretty interesting and a good cost savings option for people with engine failure

From what I understand it's a direct swap into the 08+ wrx's and I believe direct swap on legacy's?

Again from what I've researched, you need to swap over pretty much everything from one longblock to another to get it to work. I.e. the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and all the sensors like camshaft and crankshaft and knock sensors

Now the caveats of this swap are that you will not be able to use the dual avcs from the ej20x unless you use a jdm ecu. I havent read about a lot of people using the jdm ecu because it sounds like there's some trouble with the imobilzer? Plus if your state has emissions you would have to swap the ecu back and forth. So because you can't use dual avcs, you leave the exhaust side unplugged and people seem to say it makes the car kind of laggy

It also comes with a twinscroll turbo which is difficult to utilize because it would require specific tuning and you would need to fabricate a downpipe for it

What are some other pros and cons of this type of setup? What kind of power can these engines make?
Ikea_Wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
rals22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511514

In the same boat man. Did you make a choice in which route you went?
rals22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:45 AM   #3
FastWRX08
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512080

I’m also in the same boat. The twill scroll vf44 turbo housing is a RHF5 housing I ordered another housing (USDM) that’s identical to the other jdm housing and bolted it to the turbo but the wastegate was wrong so I ordered a adjustable wastegate and bolted it up and it worked flawlessly. I tried using the JDM twin scroll housing but I couldn’t find a downpipe that was compatible after the 4 I bought was completely wrong. So I just decided to go USDM. But the ej20 I bought has quad avcs but I only have a dual avcs USDM wiring harness. What I swapped from the ej25 to the ej20 was the intake manifold fuel rails injectors all timing gears although they were identical and “ALL” electrical components also I switched out the JDM engine mounts to the USDM because the JDM ones didn’t fit right in the engine crossmember. Then if you switch to USDM you have to use the USDM exhaust manifold and up pipe. The JDM ones are different. It’s a tedious process but in the end it’s worth it
FastWRX08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

The twinscroll doesn't present a problem other than sourcing the downpipe or having one fabbed. The twinscroll turbos do use a slightly different tmic and adapter bit, but should be able to go straight over to a US style.

The exhaust AVCS can be driven via Arduino. There's a separate thread on here about that. NSFW had put it together and this is the github for it.
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/AvcsController/wiki
And link to the thread.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2681374

From online material, the EJ20X/Y engines supposedly have a drop forged crown. Their compression ratio is higher but some guys have made nice numbers on them. There are a few other threads related to these swaps but most are located in Built Engine section for some reasion.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote