Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
ImprezGC8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 119201
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 STi DarkG Metal
2004 STi JBP Sold

Default Coolant Fans

I am having a problem with my fan not coming on when the car gets how. Is is an 02 WRX. If I put the car in test mode everything cycles through. I have replaced the temp sensor, fan motor and checked al lthe fuses. I am just out of ideas on what it could be. Also the temp gauge works fine. It goes to the middle for a while and then starts to move up if I do not drive the car or turn it off. Please let me know your idea's.

Thanks,
Anthony
ImprezGC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173493
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

[quote=ImprezGC8;22304682]Also the temp gauge works fine. It goes to the middle for a while and then starts to move up if I do not drive the car or turn it off. Please let me know your idea's.

What does this means does it get into the normal temp range and starts to move towards the high temp range ? "overheating" if this happens might wanna check the tstat. when did you start to notice this? And did you wait long enough for the fan to kick in because this happens to me and I was paranoid that my rad hose was going to burst because I think coolant fans not coming on.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1516229
hangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
ImprezGC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 STi DarkG Metal
2004 STi JBP Sold

Pretty much it goes to normal running temp, but if I am not moving it will start to move up after a minute or two. I have already replaced the tstat and temp sensor and the fan motor is not bad.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Does the fan comes on when the heat or ac is on I mean if the fan kicks in with them there's just a chance that nothings wrong with it but for the temp creeping up when not moving I would flush the coolant make sure coolant conditioners are use and see what happens If no result consider it might be water pump not pumping well or the infamous HG.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

Cel ?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
ImprezGC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 STi DarkG Metal
2004 STi JBP Sold

I do get a cell. It is 1480. It says something like cooling fan relay 1 high input. It's weird becuase if I take out the number 1 relay for the main fan and turn the heat on, the fan will just stay on, but there will not be any heat actually coming out.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
duff'sauto
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 172426

I'm having the same problem with the same code. I have been battling it for 2 years now. I found the fan output wire at the ecu & it does kick the main fan on. I am pretty sure its the ecu but not 100%.

car 02 wrx sedan
prob no main fan
fans good
relays good
fuses good
new t stat
new t sensor
temp gauge good
trigger from ecu is good

I wired my remote start into the neutral safety wire at the ecu & I wounder if it caused it.
duff'sauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
ImprezGC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 STi DarkG Metal
2004 STi JBP Sold

Pretty much it is the exact same issue I am having. I don't think that the remote start has anything t odo with it as I do not ahve one and those wires for the remote start shouldn't be looped any where in the fan curcuit. I talked to Paul at ECS and Brian at Garage tuning and they both think it is the ECU. So I am just going t otry another one from a friend or by one on here from someone.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
hangman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT
Quick Silver

try change all the fan relays and disconnect - on the battery step on the brake to discharge wait 5 to 10 minutes and warm up the car to normal if this doesn't work IDK.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
The_Prodigy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116467
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

To test the fan motor - get 2 jumper wires, connect power directly from the battery to the fan motor. If the fan kicks on, the motor is good.

To test the power going to the fan motor (wire) - get a volt meter, drive the car for a bit til it gets to operating temp. shut of the engine, turn the ignition switch to "ON", unplug the connector from the fan motor and measure the voltage the terminal. If you're getting above 10v, the wires are good.
The_Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
The_Prodigy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116467
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
try change all the fan relays and disconnect - on the battery step on the brake to discharge wait 5 to 10 minutes and warm up the car to normal if this doesn't work IDK.
I'd test on which component is at fault before replacing any parts.
The_Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
ImprezGC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 STi DarkG Metal
2004 STi JBP Sold

Well I do know that the motor is good because I gave power to the wire at the ECU end and the fan turned on, but I did not test the fan motor side when the car is hot to see if that is a signal. If there is none then it is def. the ECU. I am going to try to do that tonight and see if there is a signal coming from the ECU when the car is hot.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
duff'sauto
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 172426

Anthony
I just did a reset & put my meter on the fan output wire at the ecu. It never sent a signal. It just started overheating & threw the p1480 again. I sent the ecu to ecudirect.com. I hope they fix it. Plus I may not loose my ecutek reflash. I'll let you know what happens.
duff'sauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
ImprezGC8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 STi DarkG Metal
2004 STi JBP Sold

Sweet. Let me know when you get it back or what they say.