Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 24, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-30-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
geepondy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39144
Vehicle:
1998 outback sport
green

Default '98 obs starter problem

Hey guys, just found this neat forum and am going to ask two questions. I'll start with the more urgent one with this post.

I have a starter problem with my 98 OBS. When I turn the key, I just get a click noise, no motor turning over. After backing off and retrying a few times, the starter then grabs and the car starts up. Mechanic tried starter, wasn't it. Luckily was able to send it back. He then thought it was and subsequently tried the clutch switch. All seemed well until a week later when I was driving in the pouring rain and stopped at a rest area and then discovered same problem. This time it took several tries before the starter would grab. Weather has been nice since and no problems, therefore I deduce I have some sort of moisture problem. Any ideas? When it does start, it seems to run OK and I don't notice any loss of power like I was missing a cylinder or something.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. Anybody else had to replace wheel bearings....twice!
geepondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Matt
Allergic to turbos

Member#: 181
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Do you still have the original battery? Its possible that it may be time for replacement if the starter has checked out. I know that in high heat situations (like here in Florida) batteries seldom last more than 2 years.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #3
Oldskool
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20349
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza GME/6
Brilliant Red

you say it just clicks?...do any of the gauges, electronics in the cab come on when this happens?...are the battery terminals corroded?...if not, this says to me that you haev a bad ground off the battery...follow the ground from the bat down to the engine block, it may be frayed/exposed or even coming off the block...or maybe the bat is just bad...I am def not a mechanic, but that is what comes to mind with these symptoms...
Oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote