Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 23, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default The Danoz Fix - FA20DIT clamp replacement guide

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by danoz; 02-06-2015 at 04:47 PM.
danoz is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default


Last edited by danoz; 02-06-2015 at 04:49 PM.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Still working on this gents. Pics to come. Any tips on how to easily add pictures without using urls?
danoz is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
ajh1717
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 402898
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoz View Post
Still working on this gents. Pics to come. Any tips on how to easily add pictures without using urls?
Individually I don't think there is a way around that. Only thing I can think of for a large picture 'dump' would be uploading an album to imgur, but then you would need to re-type out what picture is what and the descriptions anyway
ajh1717 is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
mechatricity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 290592
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
15 Outback,
15 WRX 6MT CWP

Default

upvotes for Danoz!

mechatricity is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Haha thanks guys, ill get that imgur acct and start linking. Love the terry crews gif.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
wrxdit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 392951
Join Date: Jun 2014
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

What do you think about using Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamp like the ones from
ATP Turbo ?
wrxdit is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Artizle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251825
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default

have any of you actually done a boost leak test to verify the leaks are present?
Artizle is offline  
Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
typicalman1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395356
Join Date: Jul 2014
Default

why 20psi means boost leak?
typicalman1 is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Diagrams added. More WRX specific info to come.

Mods can we make this thread sticky please? I think it will help a lot of people.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #11
Brownie529
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400725
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Milpitas, CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
GBP

Default

I have tried to tighten stock clamps they are not lose. Right now at 7500 miles on the car. Figure to prevent issues in future I ordered all the Breeze clamps. Received them and will replace all eight in the next few days
Brownie529 is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Scooby Jay
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 282455
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lehigh Valley Pennyslvania
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Has anybody experienced a clamp issue? Not directed to FA20DIT owners(14Forester), specifically asking 2015 WRX owners(FA20DIT)? Have you found loose clamps, connections, damaged hoses, etc.
Scooby Jay is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Ultimateone
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 48025
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: By the Ocean, MA
Vehicle:
15 F32 435
AW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Jay View Post
Has anybody experienced a clamp issue? Not directed to FA20DIT owners(14Forester), specifically asking 2015 WRX owners(FA20DIT)? Have you found loose clamps, connections, damaged hoses, etc.
Nothing was lose on mine, I think this is maybe something to do if you're bored or want some nice clamps on your car.
Ultimateone is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
SoapBox
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
My wife said she'd
buy me a Lotus, AKA REX8

Default

You're replacing the OE hose clamps with other hose clamps, and attempting to label it as "The Danoz Fix"?

That's really, really trying too hard.

Again, where are all the reports that this is a problem? A sticky? What? For replacing a couple hose clamps?
SoapBox is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
tyler37075
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 398361
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hendersonville,Tn
Vehicle:
2015 wrx
ice silver,wr blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Jay View Post
Has anybody experienced a clamp issue? Not directed to FA20DIT owners(14Forester), specifically asking 2015 WRX owners(FA20DIT)? Have you found loose clamps, connections, damaged hoses, etc.
I had 1 loose at 3k. Did not check all of them. Just the 3 on top. My clamps are on the way
tyler37075 is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
toph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78640
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
14 LTZ 6.2
04 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapBox View Post
You're replacing the OE hose clamps with other hose clamps, and attempting to label it as "The Danoz Fix"?

That's really, really trying too hard.

Again, where are all the reports that this is a problem? A sticky? What? For replacing a couple hose clamps?
It seems to be more of an issue in the FXT DIT community. They have had numerous issues with pinging/detonation which is attributed to this issue. Danoz spent a lot of time trying to figure out the issue on his FXT with little help from the dealer. I don't think he is calling it "The Danoz Fix" to receive some sort of accolade. It's similar to "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" in the 5MT.
toph is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
wrxdit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 392951
Join Date: Jun 2014
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
Nothing was lose on mine, I think this is maybe something to do if you're bored or want some nice clamps on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapBox View Post
You're replacing the OE hose clamps with other hose clamps, and attempting to label it as "The Danoz Fix"?

That's really, really trying too hard.

Again, where are all the reports that this is a problem? A sticky? What? For replacing a couple hose clamps?
Haterz be haterz !!!!!
wrxdit is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #18
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdit View Post
Haterz be haterz !!!!!
Yeh man, haters gonna hate.

It was nicknamed" the Danoz fix" before I had even done a guide and before the 2015wrx had even been released. It started in January in the Ozfoz forums, migrated to the subaruforester.org forums and then I thought it may be of some use to you guys. It was originally intended to fix the number of issues the Forester had with detonation and poor performance etc.

For the hater - The only thing Im trying hard to do, is help people. I do expect some people will not like this and think it was a very simple thing to isolate and I dont deserve any credit. I mean who would have thought every clamp on a brand new engine from a reputable car maunfacturer was working loose or breaking after 3000kms? I agree, It sounds ludicrous, totally unrealistic and even more so the fact that Subaru is either unaware (still) or unwilling to rectify it. And just so you know, this is my first Subaru, and also the first turbo engine I had ever worked on so the learning curve was steep. Also worth mentioning is that I have not made a single dollar from this and I am not trying to sell anyone anything.

There was a point in time where I was buying the clamps in 10 packs here in Australia and distributing them to people so that they didnt have to do the clamp hunt themselves and have leftovers that would have to get rid of. I did not make any money off that either unless you consider rounding the cost up to the nearest $5 to make the exchange of money easier a "profit" after personally delivering them. In the end I distributed 78 sets to complete strangers, answered countless PMs, simply to help people with car problems. I felt I needed to do this because Subaru would not fix their cars under warranty. If you take all of that into consideration, I reckon my name deserves to be up there.

Anyway, for those of you who choose to do the job, I hope you enjoy the benefits. And for the people with words of encouragement, I thank you. For those that just want to spew forth abuse and criticism... well... what can you say to people like that really? I also wish you well and hope that you have a happier day tomorrow.

Last edited by danoz; 10-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Oh and if you dont think there is a problem, head over to the forester forums and check out the thread there. Today it has over 27,000 views. Same engine, same clamps.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #20
schwag wagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185379
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default

I changed all 8 clamps today, and then logged with my access port. I've got a log that looks exactly the same, still missing target boost, still have a huge dead spot at 4k rpms. I'll retighten the clamps after it warms up again tomorrow and re log.
schwag wagon is offline  
Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #21
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwag wagon View Post
I changed all 8 clamps today, and then logged with my access port. I've got a log that looks exactly the same, still missing target boost, still have a huge dead spot at 4k rpms. I'll retighten the clamps after it warms up again tomorrow and re log.
Try an ECU reset. It will take a while to adjust but should come good. I know the dead spot you are talking about,it never completely disappears, but it does get a lot better after clamp change and reset.

When checking, BPV is always the leakiest. Just DONT overtighten. Also, when replacing the clamps between the turbo and airbox, the piping quite easily slips out of its position or "keyway" which may cause unmetered air to be introduced. Just another place to check.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
schwag wagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185379
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoz View Post
Try an ECU reset. It will take a while to adjust but should come good. I know the dead spot you are talking about,it never completely disappears, but it does get a lot better after clamp change and reset.

When checking, BPV is always the leakiest. Just DONT overtighten. Also, when replacing the clamps between the turbo and airbox, the piping quite easily slips out of its position or "keyway" which may cause unmetered air to be introduced. Just another place to check.
Good info, I'll have a look at those spots and reset the ECU. To be clear, I would have replaced these clamps regardless of any target boost issues. A few were finger tight, and surely would have loosened over time and vibration.
schwag wagon is offline  
Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
tyler37075
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 398361
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hendersonville,Tn
Vehicle:
2015 wrx
ice silver,wr blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoz View Post
Yeh man, haters gonna hate.

It was nicknamed" the Danoz fix" before I had even done a guide and before the 2015wrx had even been released. It started in January in the Ozfoz forums, migrated to the subaruforester.org forums and then I thought it may be of some use to you guys. It was originally intended to fix the number of issues the Forester had with detonation and poor performance etc.

For the hater - The only thing Im trying hard to do, is help people. I do expect some people will not like this and think it was a very simple thing to isolate and I dont deserve any credit. I mean who would have thought every clamp on a brand new engine from a reputable car maunfacturer was working loose or breaking after 3000kms? I agree, It sounds ludicrous, totally unrealistic and even more so the fact that Subaru is either unaware (still) or unwilling to rectify it. And just so you know, this is my first Subaru, and also the first turbo engine I had ever worked on so the learning curve was steep. Also worth mentioning is that I have not made a single dollar from this and I am not trying to sell anyone anything.

There was a point in time where I was buying the clamps in 10 packs here in Australia and distributing them to people so that they didnt have to do the clamp hunt themselves and have leftovers that would have to get rid of. I did not make any money off that either unless you consider rounding the cost up to the nearest $5 to make the exchange of money easier a "profit" after personally delivering them. In the end I distributed 78 sets to complete strangers, answered countless PMs, simply to help people with car problems. I felt I needed to do this because Subaru would not fix their cars under warranty. If you take all of that into consideration, I reckon my name deserves to be up there.

Anyway, for those of you who choose to do the job, I hope you enjoy the benefits. And for the people with words of encouragement, I thank you. For those that just want to spew forth abuse and criticism... well... what can you say to people like that really? I also wish you well and hope that you have a happier day tomorrow.
Danoz...Just received my clamps today. They are waaay better than the tridon clamps on our cars!!! Leaking or not, I am doing some preventative maintenance.
tyler37075 is offline  
Old 10-29-2014, 01:16 AM   #24
danoz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397935
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler37075 View Post
Danoz...Just received my clamps today. They are waaay better than the tridon clamps on our cars!!! Leaking or not, I am doing some preventative maintenance.
Nice one Tyler. If you dont notice a change you can rest easy in the future knowing that there wont be a problem in these areas. Let us know how everything goes. If you were having problems before, remember to do an ECU reset after the install.
danoz is offline  
Old 10-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #25
Boggie1688
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Base
WRB

Default

Is there anyone here running an Cobb AP tune? Because my understanding is that these tunes can hold boost numbers on point.

So if there is someone running the tune, without upgraded clamps....doesn't that mean that upgrade the clamps may not be a solution to boost creep? And instead boost creep is a product of a bad tune?

I'm not 100% sure that this is a clamp issue. Just figure I'd throw this out there.
Boggie1688 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.