Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 21, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2024, 12:35 PM   #12001
Russ_G93
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528403
Join Date: Jan 2022
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
22' WR-HikingShoe
23' F250, 18' Q5, 18' CRV

Default

Hes not wrong about trucks. My 2017 F250 XLT diesel that I traded in recently, had only 36,000 miles. From 17-23, 6ish years, 30k miles. It sat the majority of the time until I had to tow our toy hauler or I needed something random like bark for the yard, wood for a new fence section, etc. Without the trailer, I could maybe bunk with my mates when we go on our hunting trips, wouldn't need the truck. That and I store my trailer on my buddies property, so im really only using my truck + trailer a couple times a year for camping/hunting. In Comparison to my old 99 f250 from before, these trucks are huge. People throw on Big ass tires (Horrible for snow/mud, but whatever lol), and more often than not, you'll see people fail to park. Why? Its a large vehicle. Parking space measurements (Lines) don't seem to change, but the size of vehicles have.

If anything it just goes to show, that people will buy what they like, even if they can't use the "thing" the way other people want them to use it. Normal everyday shopping, going out to eat -Whatever, yeah you really don't need the truck. Thing is, people don't have a lot of money, they want a truck, so they go all in on a truck, because that is the only vehicle they drive. So of course they fancy it up, and perhaps drive funny sometimes. But you know who else drive funny lol.. random BMW's, Prius's, BRZ's, WRX's, Infiniti's on the freeway. Dipping and diving, going over the speed limit, wish people could drive normally haha.

Same thing with the market though, in 2017 my truck was around 75k after everything was said and done. Nowadays? The price of a downpayment on a house (100k - Ridiculous), but maybe we can focus on getting the right ppl in Govt, so we the people don't have to suffer as bad.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Russ_G93; 06-21-2024 at 12:42 PM.
Russ_G93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:14 PM   #12002
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_G93 View Post
If anything it just goes to show, that people will buy what they like, even if they can't use the "thing" the way other people want them to use it. Normal everyday shopping, going out to eat -Whatever, yeah you really don't need the truck. Thing is, people don't have a lot of money, they want a truck, so they go all in on a truck, because that is the only vehicle they drive. So of course they fancy it up, and perhaps drive funny sometimes. But you know who else drive funny lol.. random BMW's, Prius's, BRZ's, WRX's, Infiniti's on the freeway. Dipping and diving, going over the speed limit, wish people could drive normally haha.
I agree. Although I do find it funny and stupid when your typical meathead gym bro gets a big ass lifted truck and it never sees anything other than parking lots, at the end of the day, it's their money.

And if you think about it, where do we draw the line? Who is the end-all determiner of if someone is using their car "properly" or not? There are probably a decent amount of people out there in M3s or GT3s or what have you who never take their car to the track. Does that mean that they shouldn't own those cars? If you have the money to afford it responsibly (and this is key; many people do not buy things responsibly) then why not have something like that for a fun daily driver even if you are not using it to its full potential?

At the end of the day, the only "need" that most people have in a vehicle is to get from point A to point B, so by that logic you could argue that anything more than a standard econobox is a "waste". But people also have "wants" and its OK to cater to those wants.

In my made up fantasy land where I have endless money and a gigantic garage to park all my vehicles, sure, I'd have a dozen different vehicles, each one for very specific purposes. Very few people have that kind of wealth. Most regular folks have one, maybe two cars, so compromises need to be made somewhere.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:22 PM   #12003
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
I agree. Although I do find it funny and stupid when your typical meathead gym bro gets a big ass lifted truck and it never sees anything other than parking lots, at the end of the day, it's their money.

And if you think about it, where do we draw the line? Who is the end-all determiner of if someone is using their car "properly" or not? There are probably a decent amount of people out there in M3s or GT3s or what have you who never take their car to the track. Does that mean that they shouldn't own those cars? If you have the money to afford it responsibly (and this is key; many people do not buy things responsibly) then why not have something like that for a fun daily driver even if you are not using it to its full potential?

At the end of the day, the only "need" that most people have in a vehicle is to get from point A to point B, so by that logic you could argue that anything more than a standard econobox is a "waste". But people also have "wants" and its OK to cater to those wants.

In my made up fantasy land where I have endless money and a gigantic garage to park all my vehicles, sure, I'd have a dozen different vehicles, each one for very specific purposes. Very few people have that kind of wealth. Most regular folks have one, maybe two cars, so compromises need to be made somewhere.
The thing with the brozers, is they are difficult to get around, difficult to see around. And they are heavy and consume a high level of gasoline, making us more dependent on foreign oil. Heavy vehicles cause more road construction to repair roads. I donít know, charge them more for registration/inspection then? In my state they pay the same that say a Prius does. I agree though, itís stupid. You put a lift kit and 33ís on your full size truck and itíll never see off road, never tow anything, and the bed probably wonít even be used. Itís a status symbol for them, image-mobile. Itís a free country and their money, but we can call it completely stupid and call them a poser because most people will call out the Civic with neon lighting underneath with the coffee can exhaust. Thatís acceptable to call that out but not these poser truck owners? Well Iím gonna call anyone that does this fake, period, because thatís the truth.

97-99% of M2ís M3ís, GT3ís, etc, will never see a track. Theyíll never even see a set of twisties in rural farm country, canyons, mountain roads. Theyíll get used for commuting, hard parking, stuff you could get done in a Prius. Again itís a free country and their money, but itís big time posing. I donít have any issue with it because they arenít 6000 lbs, you can see around them etc. I only have an issue when the owner drives it like a complete a-hat around other motorists pushing it on a highway, city street, and you can easily tell they have no skill. That, and fronting about it, especially on the etherwebz. ďI own XĒ and then go on to front about it. GTFO. Posers.

All my vehicles, today, and always, were bought for specific duty and functionality Iím going to do with it. My truck, is compact, unibody, AWD. I donít like how BOF handle, at all. They are way too expensive for what they are, and I donít need that towing capacity as Iíll never tow anything that heavy. I wanted excellent handling, and mine is the best on the market, for pavement handling that is made today. I needed 4000-5000 towing capacity. That covers my bikes when I go to the track in an enclosed trailer. My ski on the trailer, a future boat on a trailer and since itís 5k rated (5500 actual), I could actually tow my car to the track and still have some overhead. Iím not towing a tractor, heavy farm equipment, or some got d airplane on a commercial as thatís just bs. So I bought the exact tool for the job I needed.

Same goes for the rest of my vehicles. They were bought exactly for what they were going to be used for and image/status/poser bs had nothing to do with it and never has. The majority of the buying public, however, buy vehicles for image/status reasons or for some capability the vehicle has that they will, never, ever, use. So fake, the majority of the automotive market sales here are fake. If people bought for real, there would be ten times more affordable EVís. Instead of all the fronting high end sports cars, there would be many more affordable versions. Is what it is. America is a lexicon. People watch commercials incessantly, get on social medias, and all of that is fake, so most of their life is just fake period. And our automotive choices in the marketplace reflect that.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:49 PM   #12004
dgoodhue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93320
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Framingham, MA
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy GT
2009 Outback 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
No. Do you lack critical reasoning skills? If you going to talk chit expect a proper response.

It has nothing to do with what brand of car, or whatever. It's doing highway pulls, GTFO of here with that. It's one thing to do it. It's another thing to come on here and brag about it. Highway pulls and stop light racing, on public streets? I mean your friend, out in the sticks, completely away from traffic, cool. But bragging doing highway pulls with a well modded vs. stock car? What are you, 17 years old? Use some common sense.
From my perspective, I didn't think he was talking crap, but he can answer the question better than me. I have a modified 91 GMC Syclone that over owned almost 25 years. It was quick for day, but there are lot of stock cars that are faster than it now. Every once in a while I may try my old school truck against the new guard. I just want to see how it measures up. It is not about bragging rights, well maybe against my friends

As for Roll racing. I used to street race in my early 20's, we almost always went from a dig, as I got older I usually went to the dragstrip. My truck is an automatic AWD vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick, its strength is off the line. The opportunity to race is usually on the highway, you pass more cars and often it is the chance you habve to line up against someone. I am not going to roll my window dow, yell at the other driver to stop in the middle of the highway to do a proper race from a dig. Same goes my WRX, I am not carry around cones and ask someone to stop at the next empty parking lot to setup and do an autocross.

As for modified vs stock, run what you brung. Now I do get irritated at the stupid 'Chase is a race' that Street Outlaws has started.....
dgoodhue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:34 PM   #12005
uglywrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 534505
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodhue View Post
From my perspective, I didn't think he was talking crap, but he can answer the question better than me. I have a modified 91 GMC Syclone that over owned almost 25 years. It was quick for day, but there are lot of stock cars that are faster than it now. Every once in a while I may try my old school truck against the new guard. I just want to see how it measures up. It is not about bragging rights, well maybe against my friends

As for Roll racing. I used to street race in my early 20's, we almost always went from a dig, as I got older I usually went to the dragstrip. My truck is an automatic AWD vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick, its strength is off the line. The opportunity to race is usually on the highway, you pass more cars and often it is the chance you habve to line up against someone. I am not going to roll my window dow, yell at the other driver to stop in the middle of the highway to do a proper race from a dig. Same goes my WRX, I am not carry around cones and ask someone to stop at the next empty parking lot to setup and do an autocross.

As for modified vs stock, run what you brung. Now I do get irritated at the stupid 'Chase is a race' that Street Outlaws has started.....

Wow such skill, having a fat wallet and flooring it.
uglywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:11 PM   #12006
dgoodhue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93320
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Framingham, MA
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy GT
2009 Outback 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglywrx View Post
Wow such skill, having a fat wallet and flooring it.
No real skill in racing it now from a roll, I can load it with a brake boost.

I did built the motor up from a short block, learned and tuned the engine myself. It has never seen a dyno and I dialed in the under 100mph on the highway and finished the top end tune at the track . I built up and rebuilt the transmission myself. Besides the machine work, I built that truck 100% myself. it wasn't cheap as I am perfectionist, but it was built not bought.
dgoodhue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:20 PM   #12007
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Whatcha build up the transmission with?
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:32 PM   #12008
dgoodhue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93320
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Framingham, MA
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy GT
2009 Outback 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Whatcha build up the transmission with?
It is a 4L60 (which is the stock transmission) with Cryo hardened hard parts, 4x4 output shaft, a mix of red and blue clutch plates that you can readily buy. It has all the latest updates from that series. At least from what I read what the real key is to set tolerances to all be on the tight side of production clearances which required me to assemble each section, measure it and order the correct one (GM sells them with different width). One them I had to send out to be machined because I couldn't get it with the factory parts.
dgoodhue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:04 AM   #12009
uglywrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 534505
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodhue View Post
No real skill in racing it now from a roll, I can load it with a brake boost.

I did built the motor up from a short block, learned and tuned the engine myself. It has never seen a dyno and I dialed in the under 100mph on the highway and finished the top end tune at the track . I built up and rebuilt the transmission myself. Besides the machine work, I built that truck 100% myself. it wasn't cheap as I am perfectionist, but it was built not bought.
That is super cool and I also built a car, I have a 400whp brz i built, but guess what? I don't pull up next to people and then take off thinking it is a race like an *******. Going fast in a straight line against someone that may or may not know you are trying to race them takes 0 skill. It is just facts and I'm not even trying to act like I drive fast either because I PAX at the top of the bell curve in that car.


Also I don't understand what any of this has to do with VBs
uglywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 11:43 AM   #12010
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Ban Trucks!
I support this. So many people here have trucks and they don't work in construction or tow.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 12:43 AM   #12011
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Huge eye-rolling from me.

chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2024 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission
Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.