Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
bowersj6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490287
Default Back After 3 months still not fixed.

Hello everyone, I posted a while ago about a possible bad ignition switch. Well I tested everything so I knew pretty much thought I knew what the problem was and took it to a shop. Well the shop ended up trying to screw me over (plugged two green connectors together if you know) and tried charging me literally thousands in repairs. I had my car towed back home after that (this was all while in school full time at college, out of my pocket ) I have been working hard and I do not know anyone who has any knowledge on these engines. I have learned so much through reading and diagrams but I am basically doing all the work myself (my dad passed away 2 years ago). Last time I posted I did not get much of a response I believe it was because I have not been a member for a long time. I am asking now for any expertise and help with my car as this is my baby and I have already put a lot of money into it, it is my passion.

She is a 2002 wrx with the 2.3L hybrid engine, 5-speed JDM. Has a turbo timer.

Previously, my car would not start or do anything (not even turn over) after letting it sit overnight. I then bypassed the clutch switch which made it turn over but not idle. I replaced the clutch switch and Idle air control valve this week and the car will now start but the idle is really low and it eventually dies after 5-10 seconds. I swear I have read every thread on this issue for this cars years.

Common problems:
bad 02 sensor
bad maf (first cleaned then replaced, ran connected and disconnected only difference was idle surge height on start/turn over)
bad idle air control valve
bad throttle position sensor
vacuum leak (I think)
Interlock/security relays

I have a new throttle position sensor that I am putting on today. I was wondering if this could be a fuel problem also or something with the turbo solenoid. The fuel pump primes in the beginning. I thank anyone for any help or information they can provide. FYI I have checked the grounding over 5 times it is very solid.
bowersj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
MortonCharbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487057
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Without actually seeing the car it's hard to diagnose. What led to it not starting? How was it behaving before it failed to start?

After replacing sensors, reset the ECU. Just leave the battery disconnected for like half an hour.

If you suspect a fuel problem, disconnect the feed line and put it in to a bottle. Prime the fuel pump and see if it pours in to the bottle. You can replace the fuel filter while you're doing this to eliminate that. It wouldn't hurt.

Also check your spark plugs. What do they look like? Are they wet? If they are, is it oil, or gas? You can type what they look like in to Google get plenty of info. Might want to just replace those with oem as well.

Swap the coil packs around as well to see if that changes the behavior. It's sort of a longshot, but you might discover a bad coil pack.

Personally I'd do them in that order as a start. I wish I could help more but it's difficult without the car in front of me.
MortonCharbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I assume the starting issue is fixed now. The idle issue could very well be a fuel issue and if you haven't replaced the fuel and air filters, as was previously suggested, you should do that. If the plugs are in good shape it may be a good idea to check the compression of each cylinder. Also check the vacuum at idle. There may be a vacuum leak somewhere.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Dude.....to start, you basically have the same issue from last summer, thus, keep posting with all the relevant info in one place.......earlier thread.....https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2882704

No crank is one thought process.
Crank but no start is a different process.

I remember the old thread, have not read today, maybe peeps have ideas or questions for today.
I will read the old post and come back here.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote