Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday January 21, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
X49
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 386600
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default Oversized oil filter on FA20DIT

Anybody use an oversized oil filter on this engine? The oil filter from the Outback 3.6L engine (Subaru 15208AA031) is the only larger filter I've found with a bypass pressure rating of around 23psi. It has 44% more filter area than the recommended filter (Subaru 15208AA170).

The benefit of the extra filter area is that the filter will last longer, and will bypass less oil when the oil is cold, providing more flow to the engine. I'm planning on using it and only changing it out every 12,000km (7,500 miles). A potential disadvantage is that the filter will potentially take longer to fill up on engine start.

Anybody have experience with oversized filters on these engines?
X49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
g-heap
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403883

"A potential disadvantage is that the filter will potentially take longer to fill up on engine start. "

Don't they have anti-drain valves?
g-heap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
X49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-heap View Post
"A potential disadvantage is that the filter will potentially take longer to fill up on engine start. "

Don't they have anti-drain valves?
They do, but I've read that some oil still drains from the filter. I guess it's probably not a big deal unless you go much larger than stock.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
viper_crazy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298403
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Could also try sourcing a filter relocation kit that potentially flips the filter upside down to prevent any drain altogether. Not sure if they make em for your model or not but it's worth a look.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
X49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_crazy View Post
Could also try sourcing a filter relocation kit that potentially flips the filter upside down to prevent any drain altogether. Not sure if they make em for your model or not but it's worth a look.
I mostly want an oversized filter for reduce maintenance and cost, since I'd only be replacing it every second oil change. Relocating the filter, especially to an inconvenient location, would be counterproductive.

I have found some other filters that will work for this engine. Baldwin makes some larger filters with M20x1.5 threads and 20psi bypass valves:
From smallest to largest: Baldwin B7407, B227, B7487, B7167, and B161-S. Baldwin apparently makes quality filters, so I might try one of these out. I expect that if there are any oiling issues immediately after a start, I'll get some valve noise at startup.

Last edited by X49; 01-13-2018 at 07:57 PM.