Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-01-2003, 03:44 AM   #1
meZoom!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33915
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza 2.5RS
silver

Default another Tein S-Tech vs. H-Tech vs. others thread

I'm currently in the market for springs (no coilover $$).
OK, i did do a search on this and from 20 pages of thread search results, i get conflicting opinions, so i want to clear this up.

Tein S-Tech springs seem to produce some bounciness in the back at highway speeds for some. What about the H-Techs??

I do a lot of high speed freeway driving as well as bumpy street driving. I do not mind a "sportier" ride as long as the car actually handles better as a trade off (i don't want a setup that yields a harsher ride but no improvement in handling). A stock-like ride, i don't mind either (i understand eibachs pretty much fulfill this?).

I'm considering Tein H-Techs now. I'd like to know what their problems would be, if any. Specifically, is there any rear end instability/hopping over bumps on the freeway?

thanks.
meZoom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 AM   #2
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

H techs are supposed to be significantly more compliant than the S techs, but from what I understand, discontinued.

Look into Prodrive as well, these are also well balanced and have better ride quality than most other aftermarket springs.

After riding in the Prodrive demo car I can say that as far as ride quality was concerned, it didn't really feel like they were aftermarket springs. Definitely better ride quality than other springs I've experienced (but I have not experienced H techs.) When he started doing things that were pushing the suspension you could definitely tell they weren't stock springs.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
makofoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25243
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy Outback
Blue

Not that I have anything to compare with ... but after checking out other spring rates ... bought the Tein S.Techs ... and I'm happy with them ... only slightly stiffer then stock ... don't notice anything unusual or negative on the fwy. Great for the price between 155 and 185 depending on wgn or sedan ... shipped .... from GruppeS

makofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
kenchan
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15106

thats a nice ride height on that pict above. check out that new
tint too.

you might also want to consider getting some eibach prokits too.
im using them on my protege5 right now on stock struts and
dang, it matches the stock shocks better than the factory linear springs! thumbs waaay up for eibach (although, i am a tein kinda guy with 2 HA's and 1 NA on my cars).
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
meZoom!
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza 2.5RS
silver

thanks guys.
i'm also a tein kinda person also...dunno specifically why, but i have a thing for trying to put as many quality japanese products onto a japanese car as possible. but i am concerned about the rear bouncing around w/ the s-techs.
any sedan owners w/ them??
Old 05-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
kenchan
Scooby Guru

mezoom- although im using HA's on my wrx i know for a fact (from other posts ive read - including other cars) that the s-techs lower the car more than the eibach prokits, but will be a harsher bumpier ride.

if you plan on changing struts soon i would wait until u get the
struts and do the s-techs together...otherwise, i would only recommend the eibach.. although im japanese and a tein kinda guy and would prefer japanese parts on my native car parts, some car parts are better made in other countries than japan...and drop springs when compared to eibach prokits are one of them.

even my email is teined...but when it comes to drop springs,
im eibached.. hahaha.

edit: forgot to put in my key reason...primary reason why
the s-techs are harsher is because they were originally intended for the Japan market where roads are smoother and cars come with stiffer shocks. in the US, roads are bumpier and eibachs match the shocks of USDM vehicles. tein came to the us only like 5-6 years ago by enthusiats like me who ordered them specially directly from tein Japan.... but eibachs been here forever. guess how knows the american soil better?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:06 PM   #7
meZoom!
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza 2.5RS
silver

kenchan- true that about eibachs and tein company.
even when driving around japan, i thought tein suspension was rather harsh (drove my cousin's honda w/ i believe HA's).
so....what's the lowest price anyone's gotten on eibachs for the sedan?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
gtrvspec01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31708

I do agree that sometime, some other country (well, usually GERMANY) makes better spring, however, I don't think Eibach is a better choice on a sedan cuz the way it lowered the car. Plus Eibach weights more than Tein due to material. And I dont think Eibach spring sold in US is made in Germany. (I might be wrong) If we talk strictly on performance spring (not coilover) I will say H&R will be best choice. (and They are 100% made in GERMAN)
gtrvspec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:16 PM   #9
meZoom!
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza 2.5RS
silver

ok...i'm starting to understand how this all is now. everyone's opinion is completely different and there's no way i can get one single answer on "which springs are best" but that's understandable. for example, i also heard H&R's totally suck, but gtrvspec just complimented them.

this might be a long trial and error for me.....i am trying to focus in on teins (either s or h-tech if i can find em) and eibachs....
Old 05-01-2003, 03:50 PM   #10
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

I mentioned Prodrives because you said you were conerned with feel, note that gtrvspec01 recommended H&Rs based on what he thinks would be best based on perfromance

The H&Rs drop you so much that the struts are way out of the range in which they feel resembling a stock ride.

After having ridden in cars with Eibachs and Prodrives, I can say that to me the Prodrives felt better in ALL respects. I wasn't driving, but to me the Prodrives both felt more comfortable and were better handling.

As I said, I have no experience with the H techs, but comments here have been very positive with respect to ride quality.

What you need to do is find a meet you can go to in the SCIC forum and find some people willing to give you rides. I'd be willing to bet you can find people with Prodrives, S techs and Eibachs willing to give you a ride.

People's opinions on what makes a spring good vary widely. Some people just want drop, others want only performance, yet others want their ideal balance of drop, performance, and ride quality which is, of course going to be different from the next persons idea of the same. The ONLY way to know what you're getting is to go out and try it.

Lastly note that Eibach is also used as a manufacturer for other retailer's springs. Ground control springs are Eibach. Prodrives are Eibach. The new SPT springs are Eibach too. When most people say Eibach they are referring to the springs that Eibach sells retail, but just be aware that there are other Eibach springs available.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:09 PM   #11
kenchan
Scooby Guru

i think worldoneperformance.com was selling the prokits at $219....which is very cheap imo.

yah, my experience with H&R sport springs were terrible..so
i can't recommend those unless you get aftermarket struts for them.

from my learning...reading different forums and different
vehicle applications:

1. s-techs typically drop the car more than eibach prokits, but harsher ride and stock struts seem a tad bit under damped. s-tech owners typically starts asking about aftermarket struts a few weeks/months after they are installed.

2. eibachs drop the car suddly around 1.3 inchs but softer
ride compliments the factory shocks very well. prokit owners are happy with the damp rate of the stock shocks and do not talk about aftermarket shocks so soon.

3. i bet the h-techs are very similar to the eibachs, but eibachs
probably still has more progressive rate, meaning a bit more
comfy before you start leaning into a turn. tein seemed to discontinue the h-techs because its not much margin for them in the first place and drop is not enough for most people.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
Jay784
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17567
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Aspen White

dropped with h.tech sprins on stock struts.

got them installed july of 02 with about 7k on the car. during that time the ride was smooth. no bouncyness at all, actually felt smoother riding on these compared to the stock springs and handling was improved. about a month ago (~23k) i noticed that it's not as smooth as it was when I first had them installed. car has a lil bounce to it at freeway speeds IF the level of the hwy/fwy quickly changes. on city streets it still rides the same.
Jay784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:18 AM   #13
makofoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25243
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy Outback
Blue

Got my alignment today from West End ... didn't think getting an alignment could be cool ... but with Darrin ... it is ... but that's another story.

Darrin pointed out that I was rubbing my rear tires with the Tein S.Techs ... on my wagon and 50 mm offset SSR's with S-03's and their thick rim protectors ...

I did think the S.Tech lowered my wagon a bit too much ...

So now I'm going to have to get something else ... ?

makofoto is offline   Reply With Quote