Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday June 24, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
palinski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Aspen White

Default Used Subaru Dealers???

Correct me if I am wrong and this post is not in the right forum..

Little backstory - I had an 04 sti for a little while I lived in PA (born and raised). I got relocated for work and thought rather than taking the car where it has more chance of getting beat up and my ins. premium/ gas prices would go up - let alone parking - I sold it for someone else to enjoy . It is now time to move back to my beloved home state and I am looking to get another wrx or sti for a daily.

Can anyone point me in the direction of reputable shops/dealers that specialize in used Subaru's? I am hoping there are places that are known for dealing with Subaru's in a sense much like Heuberger is popularly known as a new car dealer.

I know of one or two in the eastern/central PA area, but I am willing to travel for the right car. Hoping to score an '07 sti or '11-'14 hatch wrx/sti close to stock, low mileage.

Any other thoughts on '15+ compared to the aforementioned gens?

Thanks in advance!
palinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
cerbomark
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475983
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Silver

I would search Subaru dealers. They take in trades, lease ends etc and less likely to just buy at auctions like used car dealers. They should have a better idea of the cars history.
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

I'd be careful and really look into the reputation of Subaru-only dealers. We have a couple locally and I would never buy from them because they are always way, way overpriced. There is also no guaranty that they thoroughly go over them, just because they specialize in Subarus.

You have to decide for yourself on the generations. Lots of people think the previous generation hatch looks much better than the new cars. To me, I'd buy the newest car I could afford. If that means you can afford a new WRX but not a new STi, I'd get the new WRX. But on the other end, there are plenty of people who would rather get a built 10 year old STi for the same money. I know someone flying to Texas right now to buy one and drive it back to Massachusetts.....which I think is crazy.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
palinski
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerbomark View Post
I would search Subaru dealers. They take in trades, lease ends etc and less likely to just buy at auctions like used car dealers. They should have a better idea of the cars history.
cerbo - I have been checking local dealers and like you said, there are mostly 15+ models used. Not the end of the world. I am stuck in between spending the money on a modernized car with the same mechanical platform from the past 10 years. Not that there is anything wrong with the platform, but I thoroughly enjoyed my 04 with the lack of tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'd be careful and really look into the reputation of Subaru-only dealers. We have a couple locally and I would never buy from them because they are always way, way overpriced. There is also no guaranty that they thoroughly go over them, just because they specialize in Subarus.

You have to decide for yourself on the generations. Lots of people think the previous generation hatch looks much better than the new cars. To me, I'd buy the newest car I could afford. If that means you can afford a new WRX but not a new STi, I'd get the new WRX. But on the other end, there are plenty of people who would rather get a built 10 year old STi for the same money. I know someone flying to Texas right now to buy one and drive it back to Massachusetts.....which I think is crazy.
Jack - to your point of the car in texas. I found a 13 SE sti (yes the orange one) with 21k miles about a 6 hour drive from me. I would certainly pull the trigger on this car with the exception that it is about the same price as a base wrx. Its probably the only 11-14 sedan I would buy.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
cerbomark
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475983
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Silver

Well just remember "buyer beware", regardless of what you buy or where. Take your time and do your research.
I, like Jack, would buy the newest you can afford.
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
thermobox
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50156
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
16 Impreza
White

Not in PA but PAG usually has some cool Suby's for sale - https://www.performanceautogallery.com
thermobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
palinski
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermobox View Post
Not in PA but PAG usually has some cool Suby's for sale - https://www.performanceautogallery.com
Gave them a call. They have a beautiful '07 sti with less than 10k. I spoke with Alex and although the '07 was out of my price range, he took down my info and some parameters of what i am looking for and was willing keep an eye out. Good looks thermo!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
roastedmalts
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309858
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Hatch
WRB

In my experience, it's better to stay away from a used car lot. Subaru dealer that takes trade ins like another poster said or private sale. Either way, you should do all the homework to know what basic problems and what possible bigger problems the model year you are looking at may have.

07 STI isn't that far back, so should have better luck finding one. When I was searching for my bugeye, private sale proved to be where I was able to find the best condition car with the majority of it's history attached. You won't find that at a used car lot.
roastedmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
palinski
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Aspen White

So I found an '07 sti with 49k. Light mods (intake, lowered on springs, straight pipe turbo back). Owner says it is tuned for a daily. Check out the ad below!

https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/...559976863.html

I ran an autocheck and it came back with 3 POs and 1 accident report. Owner says that was a parking lot fender bender I imagine from a PO based on the year it was claimed.

[IMG]file:///Users/nicholaslapinski/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202018-05-25%20at%206.41.25%20PM.png[/IMG]

I hope the link to the screenshot works. Let me know your thoughts/concerns. I am trying to go look at it this weekend, but don't want to waste a trip if it isn't worth it.

Thanks!