Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
snake2332
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173313
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default 2006 WRX - Looking for help with washer motor/pump

Hey guys. I did a head gasket rebuild and have everything back together and working. However, my windshield washer motor isn't getting a charge/signal when pulling on the stalk. My rear washer works fine.

I took the bumper-cover off and found that both motors work fine. The plug coming from the steering wheel stalk isn't activating the motor.

Looks like both plugs for the motors join together and share a 30A fuse.

The plugs are both clean, so I don't think corrosion or bad contact is the problem. I took my multimeter out there and had my helper pull the stalk while I stuck both probes into the plug, tried it both ways and it just read 0.00v.

So does anyone know what could cause this? Seems pretty basic like it would have to be a bad wire leading to that motor/pump. Maybe I crushed or yanked the wire somehow when replacing the head gaskets and stuff. I'm tempted to just switch the hoses on the pumps so the rear washer actually shoots fluid onto the windshield, but I know that's kinda ghetto. I almost never use the rear washer so I don't mind losing it, but...
snake2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
snake2332
Scooby Newbie

Oh also, maybe coincidentally, the driver's side TGV sensor reads 0.00v too, so I disabled those CEL codes. Kind of seems like a plug or wire might be bad somewhere, like if these both shared a wire.

Only other thing I can think of mentioning is that I eliminated the secondary air pump (stuck a cork in the hole on the hose that went to it) and the electrical plug for it is just dangling there.

Oh and I did hose down the engine bay when the engine was out of it. Wondering if water could have harmed it, like rusted a contact somewhere, though it had weeks to dry off and surely was dry when I plugged those 2 really big plugs on the driver's side.

I suppose the stalk on the steering wheel could be bad. I'll have to use my multimeter (which I don't really know how to use properly, haha) and try to track down where the failure is. Time to pull up a wiring diagram I guess...UGH!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
snake2332
Scooby Newbie

Also, the button on the end of the stalk also fails to trigger the washer motor, so it's not just the "pull to mist" action that fails to send a signal.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
amightyimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494107

do you have a multi meter to test the motor?
amightyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
snake2332
Scooby Newbie

Ya, my multimeter was showing low values, like .09v. Not sure why. However, I got it working again. I plugged it back in like normal and found that a 10amp fuse for the rear had blown, so my testing was flawed. Also, I was being stupid and pulling the stalk thinking it would mist the front, when I should have been pushing the button. The 2015 WRX tricked my brain.

Basically, I was failing in my troubleshooting and I think the connection of the front motor was loose in the very beginning. Thanks and sorry for the useless thread.