Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
illestbryan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433353
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
Silver

Default AC Noise

I was wondering if I can get a little insight on this. My AC started making this noise a day or two ago and I donít remember it being this loud. Only happens when AC along with the clutch being engaged? Right when the clutch disengages, the noise is gone. AC is still blowing cold. Can kinda feel a power serge as well. Could the pulley be going out or something or is this normal.

Car is a 2011 Wrx. I took a video and is posted below.

Thanks in advance!

http://<iframe width="560" height="3...reen></iframe>
illestbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Can't see your video.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:20 AM   #3
illestbryan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
Silver

Old 05-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #4
VinceS2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353338
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2005 EVO 8 WRX + STi
gold

Sounds like a bearing cage has collapsed. The clutch 'lets go' of it so it rattles around before coming to a stop. The belts are tracking well so not totally cactus yet. Too tight belts are the number one cause of bearing failures, how do you think the adjustment was of this one?

The a/c solenoid clutch assembly can be removed to inspect, but you need to hold the triangle plate / inner section bit, not the outer pulley bit as the little spring connector damper fingers won't like it if you try to undo the centre retaining bolt and they have to try and hold it...!

Hard to tell, but wondering when your timing bearings are due to be changed? Could be sooner than you think! Don't rely on a www diagnosis for this one but. A screwdriver on the cover might help (can be scary with the wrong screwdriver!). Or just compare with a known good one.
VinceS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Sounds like the AC clutch for sure although some rust in the clutch/pulley surface can make some noise.

It is a stretch belt.....so.....tension should be fine and no idler pulley (older models mounted the tensioner from the 2 threaded holes sorta lower left of the compressor, yours are empty) to have failing bearing.

Timing belt should always make the same noise regardless of AC on or off.

Agreed, "if" you were to pull the AC clutch, don't pull by the outer part as this will likely bend the plate as mentioned. This will negatively affect the clutch operation.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 05-29-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Fix typo.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sounds like the AC clutch for sure although some rust in the clutch/pulley surface can make some noise.
Start with this first. Easy to remedy if this is the culprit and little to no cost involved.

This is a common problem.
Rust builds up around/between the clutch/pulley areas.
All you need to do is used compressed air to blow all this out. Only takes a few minutes.

If you do this, wear a mask & glasses, or be careful, bequest what comes out is a fine powder and it can get in your eyes and in your nose/throat. Won't be pleasant.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:29 AM   #7
illestbryan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
Silver

Believe it or not that actually worked. The whole dust blower. Knock on wood lol but for now it seems good. I will update you guys if it comes back. Thank you guys very much for your help on this.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestbryan View Post
Believe it or not that actually worked. The whole dust blower. Knock on wood lol but for now it seems good. I will update you guys if it comes back. Thank you guys very much for your help on this.
We are glad to help.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
mysadsubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486650
Default Compressor Clutch

I have a similar problem where my clutch has broken. It looks like I just need to replace the springs in the clutch or put a new clutch on. I can't find anywhere that I can buy a new clutch but have found many repair kits. Does anyone know anywhere I can get one? I have a 2010 impreza.
mysadsubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
illestbryan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
Silver

Good afternoon guys,

It looks like the problem is back. Do you think it could be the AC clutch or do you think it could be the idler pulley? Iíve seen some post that say itís the idler pulley and that fixes the problem but the sound is coming from the Ac pulley area. I even double check the belt and tightened it a little more as well as cleaned around that area again but same noise...
Old 06-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

If the problem is back, I would :
1. Blow the dust out again to make sure you got it all. It took a couple of attempts to get all the rust out when I did mine.

2. Idler pulley would be my next step. Eventually I had the squeak return after quite some time. Changed the Idler Pulley and it never returned. I think the Idler pulley is ~ $30 if you buy a good brand. Pretty sure I bought a Denso replacement.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
illestbryan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Wrx
Silver

Ok perfect. I will give this a try again tomorrow and see if that works and let you know. If it does come down to idler pulley, is it pretty simple to change our? Seems inexpensive
Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #13
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

The Idler pulley is very straight forward to replace.

Yes, the pulley is fairly inexpensive:
https://www.autozone.com/external-en...subaru/impreza