Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
DC_Hokie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315766
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Default Subaru Corrosion Recall - 2nd time

Recall for DC and Maryland. How come no recall in Virginia?

As quoted below:

This past summer, Subaru issued a recall for some 660,000 of its vehicles over a problem stemming from salt from the road corroding brake lines. It was the second such recall the company had issued, and now it's issuing another.

Under this latest recall, Subaru is bringing in 198,900 vehicles that were already covered under the previous recall to fix the same issue. This time around, the notice is issued for the 2008-11 Impreza, 2008-14 WRX and STI, and the 2009-13 Forester – specifically those registered (currently or formerly) in 20 states that use salt on their roads: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin, plus the District of Columbia.
DC_Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
ikimashokie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383388
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
PBP

There's a notice on pgs 3/4 that more or less says you can get it if you're not in an affected state and drive in affected states. I'm expecting you'll need to call Subaru to have it authorized first. I tried to get it done in NJ, but since the recall wasn't active for my VIN, I couldn't get it done. (I'd thought/hoped that with it first being for sale in OH, and having a temporary WV registration, that would have triggered it, but it didn't.)

I'll have to find the document I was looking at, and post a link to it.
Here it is: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...V311-5454P.PDF

Quote:
OWNERS LOCATED OUTSIDE THE AFFECTED "SALT-BELT" STATES
Notification letters will only be mailed to owners of vehicles that are currently registered or
were previously registered in at least one of the "salt-belt" states or the District of Columbia.
However, there are circumstances under which vehicles that were not previously or ever
registered in a "salt-belt" state will be covered by this recall campaign. These circumstances
may include:
IMPORTANT NOTE: If the WQG-43 brake line corrosion recall repair was already
performed, the WQK-47 recall repair must also be performed to ensure that all affected
areas of the brake lines are acceptable and treated with anti-corrosion material as a
preventative measure.Bulletin Number: WQK-47R; Revised: July 29, 2014 Page 4
Continued...
1. Vehicles not currently or previously registered in a "salt-belt" state that have relocated
into a "salt-belt" area and/or vehicles registered in a "non-salt belt" state, and driven
in a "salt-belt" area
: We request that retailers located in "salt-belt" states check all
vehicles within the affected VIN range for recall coverage. If it is determined the
owner of a vehicle within the affected VIN range relocates or uses his or her vehicle
in a "salt-belt" area, the retailer should perform the recall procedure.
2. Vehicles in "non-salt belt" states that have experienced the defect: In the unlikely
event an owner in a "non-salt belt" state experiences the defect or otherwise requests
the procedure be performed on their vehicle, the retailer should perform the recall
procedure. This applies to both "salt-belt" and "non-salt belt" state retailers.
Under such circumstances, the Subaru retailer should perform the recall procedure at
no cost to the customer. For claim submission, please contact the Warranty Helpdesk at
(1-866-SUBARU2) 1-866-782-2782 to have the VIN added to the recall.

Last edited by ikimashokie; 01-08-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Adding WQK-47R link
ikimashokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
DC_Hokie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Thanks - ikimashokie - this was helpful.

Not too concerned about brake line corrosion (knocks on wood). Just wondering why VA was excluded since we use salt on our roads. I guess they decided to just do everything north of the mason dixon line.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
PonceauRed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 404592
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Blurple

Well, at least something good comes of registering my car to PA.
PonceauRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
ikimashokie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383388
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
PBP

I was curious why VA was excluded as well. I vaguely recall during the previous recall update that someone mentioned that VA doesn't use the kind of salt that causes corrosion(?), but here on their page they say they primarily use salt.

I figure if SOA is as great as everyone seems to say, it shouldn't be too troublesome to have the recall activated.
ikimashokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
A-A-Ron
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403451
Vehicle:
'16 370 Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Hokie View Post
I guess they decided to just do everything north of the mason dixon line.
Well...technically that line is between MD/PA & MD/DE.

But I was surprised as well that VA was not included in the recall. I was up in Fairfax yesterday and the roads were covered in salty dust just from the 2 inches of snow that fell. Not happy to be covering my week-old car with salt
A-A-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
DC_Hokie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron View Post

But I was surprised as well that VA was not included in the recall. I was up in Fairfax yesterday and the roads were covered in salty dust just from the 2 inches of snow that fell. Not happy to be covering my week-old car with salt

Ha Ha. Love the username A-A-Ron
Old 01-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Abnormal
Lil Curious

Member#: 149626
Vehicle:
2005 CGM FXT
Rocket Box! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron View Post

VDOT assumes you'll end up damaging your car some way or another driving around NOVA.

Between potholes, aggressive or aloof drivers, and parking in any lots around here.
Abnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
NEU
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265995
Vehicle:
2000 Volvo v70R
2011 Forester XT Touring

My Forester is registered in VA, which I bought @ Stohlman got my recall a while ago, just haven't had the time with the holidays, now I've got no excuses...
NEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
Travistee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220101
Vehicle:
2009 outback sport

I had my '09 Impreza checked at a dealer in Vermont for the brake line corrosion recall.
They said it looked ok, so they didn't do anything.
I bought the car in Connecticut, but now I'm in California.
Was the dealer in Vermont supposed to do the recall repair anyway? Should a dealer in California do it?
Does it depend on if it "needs it" or should they do it anyway?
Travistee is offline   Reply With Quote