Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #3476
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwrx86 View Post
At $27k, it's hard to find an AWD manual sedan with decent power.
You Golf R starts at $40k so idk what other "better cars" you are referring to.
The WRX is hard to match at this price point. Check out C&D VIR articles. This car punches above its weight.

Back on topic, I am about to send M1 ESP sample and will report results as soon as I get them.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Straight6; 05-13-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Straight6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #3477
Buffman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189212
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MI
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Black

Default

No Idea if Castrol 5w30 Syntec is good for the FA 2.0 DIT, but I'm trying to use up what oil I have stored from the last car. Oil temps this time around routinely hit over the 200F mark since it's finally getting warm out here. General consensus on going 4500-5000 miles between OCI?

oilrereport619 by Buffman RANGE, on Flickr
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #3478
jasonwrx86
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 472037
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
No Idea if Castrol 5w30 Syntec is good for the FA 2.0 DIT, but I'm trying to use up what oil I have stored from the last car. Oil temps this time around routinely hit over the 200F mark since it's finally getting warm out here. General consensus on going 4500-5000 miles between OCI?
Kinda weird that they said 0W20 was used previous when it's clearly Subaru 5W30 with that much moly.
My question is with that much moly in the Subaru oil, wouldn't the thinning of the oil less of a problem as moly is like a better buffer than oil itself?
So basically my question is a 20W with moly vs a 30W without moly, which one will be better in terms of protection?
I think the reason why Subaru uses this much moly is because in a high heat application like a turbo engine, moly will be less affected by temperature vs just pure oil.
Maybe in a high heat application, thinner oil with more anti wear addictives is better than thicker oil with less addictives?

Last edited by jasonwrx86; 07-02-2019 at 01:17 PM.
jasonwrx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #3479
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwrx86 View Post
Kinda weird that they said 0W20 was used previous when it's clearly Subaru 5W30 with that much moly.
My question is with that much moly in the Subaru oil, wouldn't the thinning of the oil less of a problem as moly is like a better buffer than oil itself?
So basically my question is a 20W with moly vs a 30W without moly, which one will be better in terms of protection?
I think the reason why Subaru uses this much moly is because in a high heat application like a turbo engine, moly will be less affected by temperature vs just pure oil.
Maybe in a high heat application, thinner oil with more anti wear addictives is better than thicker oil with less addictives?

Some of the moly is from the assembly lube and pistons, and there is likely some in the factory fill to help with fuel economy. Moly may help with wear as well but its not going to have an affect on viscosity. BSs 0W-20 comment is just based on the viscosity of the factory fill.

From what I understand, an oil can be formulated to immediately shear to a mid to low 20 grade even if the unused viscosity is a very thin 30 grade. The manufacturer can then say that they used 5W-30 for MPG tests, knowing full well that the oil will always be in the 20 grade range when the EPA puts it on the dyno. As uoas show, the factory Subaru oil is a different formula (and likely viscosity) as compared to the dealer service fill.

Last edited by bluesubie; 07-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #3480
chiapet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395427
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ
Default 60k oil analysis

Hi all, it's been awhile since my last oil analysis. life got busy and I got lazy.

It's been the same oil (although the new yellow bottle now) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. Previously at almost 5k OCI but backed off last year down to 4k OCI.

Everything looks pretty typical EXCEPT for the aluminum which is a concern. I haven't seen anything pop up for this yet.

I'm no expert so please take a look and give me your thoughts.

Thanks!


chiapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #3481
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
Hi all, it's been awhile since my last oil analysis. life got busy and I got lazy.



It's been the same oil (although the new yellow bottle now) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. Previously at almost 5k OCI but backed off last year down to 4k OCI.



Everything looks pretty typical EXCEPT for the aluminum which is a concern. I haven't seen anything pop up for this yet.



I'm no expert so please take a look and give me your thoughts.



Thanks!



Also a slight uptick in silicon. What air filter are you running and when was it last cleaned/changed?
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #3482
chiapet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395427
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Also a slight uptick in silicon. What air filter are you running and when was it last cleaned/changed?
Thanks for taking a look.

Engine air filter i think was last changed around 30-40k (i just did it again).

Any other thoughts?

I'll run another analysis at the next change to see if it was just a fluke?
chiapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #3483
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Nothing else really. Just thinking maybe there was a touch of wear from a dirty filter. Hopefully Si and Al will drop but no real concern yet. Do you have the stock air box?
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #3484
nyev
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481316
Join Date: Jan 2018
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2018 WRX 6SPD
DGM

Default

About to hit 28k km on my 2018 WRX, I have been using PUP 5W30 for 2 oil changes now.
From the reading I have done, looks like this doesn't seem to be the fan favourite. I am basically full bolt-on.

What oil do you guys recommend? My tuner recommends Motul X Clean EFE. Thoughts?
nyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #3485
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyev View Post
About to hit 28k km on my 2018 WRX, I have been using PUP 5W30 for 2 oil changes now.
From the reading I have done, looks like this doesn't seem to be the fan favourite. I am basically full bolt-on.

What oil do you guys recommend? My tuner recommends Motul X Clean EFE. Thoughts?


For what it is, PUP is a good oil. But it is a GF5 oil so its more likely to shear to a 20 grade. X-Clean EFE is a very good choice. Another good choice is Rotella T6 5W-30 Multi Vehicle.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #3486
nyev
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481316
Join Date: Jan 2018
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2018 WRX 6SPD
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
For what it is, PUP is a good oil. But it is a GF5 oil so it’s more likely to shear to a 20 grade. X-Clean EFE is a very good choice. Another good choice is Rotella T6 5W-30 Multi Vehicle.
I spiritedly daily drive the car and rarely track it, only went on the track twice. I am in Canada and getting my hands on EFE is quite hard, I am not sure why non of my vendors have it. They have FE, is this a good option?

Last edited by nyev; 07-18-2019 at 03:18 PM.
nyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #3487
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyev View Post
I spiritedly daily drive the car and rarely track it, only went on the track twice. I am in Canada and getting my hands on EFE is quite hard, I am not sure why non of my vendors have it. They have FE, is this a good option?


Ive lost track with all of the revamping that Motul has done. They dont even have FE on their site. Heres a discussion about + and EFE. I dont remember if they mention FE.

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthr...t=299906&amp=1

As long as it meets ACEA C3 theres only very slight differences between all of the X-Cleans.

Last edited by bluesubie; 07-19-2019 at 07:52 AM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #3488
nyev
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481316
Join Date: Jan 2018
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto
Vehicle:
2018 WRX 6SPD
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Ive lost track with all of the revamping that Motul has done. They dont even have FE on their site. Heres a discussion about + and EFE. I dont remember if they mention FE.

https://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthr...t=299906&amp=1

As long as it meets ACEA C3 theres only very slight differences between all of the X-Cleans.
I'll give it a shot, and send a sample to Blackstone to see how it goes.
nyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #3489
jwvess00
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468057
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Paris, KY
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

I just changed the oil in my '17 WRX. 45,000 miles. Every change so far was with PUP 5W30 at 3000 miles per change, but this time I decided to try Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. It's a DEXOS2 oil. 2914 miles on this oil change. On the chart this is change #6.

jwvess00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:10 AM   #3490
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

First ever UOA on my car. I was an idiot and didn't write how many miles this oil was run for, which explains some of the comments. Roughly 3,400 miles or so, Motul XCess 5W-40. Car has 35K miles and has been protuned since around 20K miles or so (TGV/EGR/TMIC).

My question to all you smart people is: my report seems to indicate a healthy motor, but how much can insight can a UOA provide into or "predict" engine failure? In other words, what are some examples of engine failure that can happen spontaneously despite how healthy a UOA turns out to be, assuming normal driving and not launching/redlining it every other stop light?

I am on the fence about adding more mods and re-tuning but this is also my daily (aka I'm screwed if it pops) and seeing it on the dyno once was already nerve-wracking enough for me.

YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #3491
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

A uoa is hit or miss at predicting a failure because it only picks up wear of 5 microns or less. I had good uoas that didnt show any issues but I ended up having turbo failure. Someone on bitog and an engine failure in a Buick Grand National with a long trend of good uoas. He even had a good uoa after the failure.

It might predict failure if you have gradual wear over a long period of time but its better at determining proper oil change intervals or spotting an obvious problem like coolant in the oil from a bad head gasket. But its not going to tell you if you have sufficient film strength for a particular situation.

A bit better than Oil Analyzers Inc or Blackstone is Dyson Analysis. Ive seen many examples of him troubleshooting and solving problems based on uoas. Youre getting your own personal tribologist with Dyson and its not cheap. There are a few very happy Dyson users at IWSTI.com

This is a great article about uoas by someone that retired from the lubricant industry:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

You have a good uoa and a protune is a smart move. Id recommend OAI over Blackstone though since OAI can test for fuel whereas BS is always an estimate. Note the uoa above yours. The last fuel % was an estimate because viscosity was normal, but all previous uoas were 20 grade viscosity so fuel was checked by Gas Chromatography.

Last edited by bluesubie; 08-24-2019 at 07:32 PM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #3492
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
A uoa is hit or miss at predicting a failure because it only picks up wear of 5 microns or less. I had good uoas that didnt show any issues but I ended up having turbo failure. Someone on bitog and an engine failure in a Buick Grand National with a long trend of good uoas. He even had a good uoa after the failure.

It might predict failure if you have gradual wear over a long period of time but its better at determining proper oil change intervals or spotting an obvious problem like coolant in the oil from a bad head gasket. But its not going to tell you if you have sufficient film strength for a particular situation.

A bit better than Oil Analyzers Inc or Blackstone is Dyson Analysis. Ive seen many examples of him troubleshooting and solving problems based on uoas. Youre getting your own personal tribologist with Dyson and its not cheap. There are a few very happy Dyson users at IWSTI.com

This is a great article about uoas by someone that retired from the lubricant industry:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

You have a good uoa and a protune is a smart move. Id recommend OAI over Blackstone though since OAI can test for fuel whereas BS is always an estimate. Note the uoa above yours. The last fuel % was an estimate because viscosity was normal, but all previous uoas were 20 grade viscosity so fuel was checked by Gas Chromatography.
Thanks! This is exactly that type of info I was looking for. I will give OAI A shot in the future.

Blackstone sent me an updated report once I told them how many miles I had on the oil and recommended that I increase my OCI to about 5,500 miles or so (up from 3,400).

YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #3493
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default

Well this is very timely:

Spun bearing 300 miles after worrisome UOA
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #3494
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: North Jersey
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
First ever UOA on my car. I was an idiot and didn't write how many miles this oil was run for, which explains some of the comments. Roughly 3,400 miles or so, Motul XCess 5W-40. Car has 35K miles and has been protuned since around 20K miles or so (TGV/EGR/TMIC).

My question to all you smart people is: my report seems to indicate a healthy motor, but how much can insight can a UOA provide into or "predict" engine failure? In other words, what are some examples of engine failure that can happen spontaneously despite how healthy a UOA turns out to be, assuming normal driving and not launching/redlining it every other stop light?

I am on the fence about adding more mods and re-tuning but this is also my daily (aka I'm screwed if it pops) and seeing it on the dyno once was already nerve-wracking enough for me.

Wow, that is an excellent report on a 3400 mile oil run. I am a fan of motul products too.

What made you go with the 5w40 over the 5w30 motul though?

I currently have castrol magnatec 5w30 in my car now but will change it to motul just before winter hits. And getting a UOA done on this castrol.

My lease is up in about 11 months (thank god lol) so i'm not too worried about long term, but i do want it to run as smooth as possible now, while it's still in my possession.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #3495
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP 2016 Sienna

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLXLR8 View Post
but i do want it to run as smooth as possible now, while it's still in my possession.

smooth from oil

Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #3496
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: North Jersey
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
smooth from oil


Yup, gotta keep it running smooth. As opposed to it sounding like there's nuts and bolts in the engine with the factory oil
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #3497
jasonwrx86
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 472037
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLXLR8 View Post
Yup, gotta keep it running smooth. As opposed to it sounding like there's nuts and bolts in the engine with the factory oil
If oil can make an engine sound that drastically different, you have bigger issues than oil.
jasonwrx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #3498
ITLXLR8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 394523
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: North Jersey
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwrx86 View Post
If oil can make an engine sound that drastically different, you have bigger issues than oil.
Possibly. Hence why i said i want the engine to be as smooth as possible for at least the next 10-11 months or so until i give this lease back. After that i couldn't care less if it burns to the ground

Motul oil is good though, i use that now in my C7Z. So that'll probably go into the sub before the winter.
ITLXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #3499
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLXLR8 View Post
Wow, that is an excellent report on a 3400 mile oil run. I am a fan of motul products too.

What made you go with the 5w40 over the 5w30 motul though?

I currently have castrol magnatec 5w30 in my car now but will change it to motul just before winter hits. And getting a UOA done on this castrol.

My lease is up in about 11 months (thank god lol) so i'm not too worried about long term, but i do want it to run as smooth as possible now, while it's still in my possession.
When I first got my car, I hit up 3 different well-known Subaru-focused performance shops in the SoCal area regarding oil and they all recommended the same oil to me: Motul Xcess 5W-40. This being my first Subaru and first turbocharged car, I figured that these guys know better than I do, so I went with it. I've seen other people citing shear as a reason to use a heavier weight oil, especially in a hot climate like SoCal where ambient temperatures are high all year round.

There is a thread in the FA forum regarding how supposedly Xcess isn't that great for these motors and the Xclean is better. Some have said it's great for the EJ motors but not as good for the FA. I'm not enough of an oil nerd to really get into the nitty gritty of it. My UOA looks good and I have used this oil since the very first oil change in my car at 1K miles so until I have a good reason to switch it up, I'll continue to use it moving forward.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #3500
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post

When I first got my car, I hit up 3 different well-known Subaru-focused performance shops in the SoCal area regarding oil and they all recommended the same oil to me: Motul Xcess 5W-40. This being my first Subaru and first turbocharged car, I figured that these guys know better than I do, so I went with it. I've seen other people citing shear as a reason to use a heavier weight oil, especially in a hot climate like SoCal where ambient temperatures are high all year round.

There is a thread in the FA forum regarding how supposedly Xcess isn't that great for these motors and the Xclean is better. Some have said it's great for the EJ motors but not as good for the FA. I'm not enough of an oil nerd to really get into the nitty gritty of it. My UOA looks good and I have used this oil since the very first oil change in my car at 1K miles so until I have a good reason to switch it up, I'll continue to use it moving forward.

High Sulphated Ash Phosphorus Sulphur oils like X-Cess have a higher chance of causing carbon buildup in DI engines based on a paper by the oil additive company Lubrizol (jointly owned by Shell and XOM).

More info here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum..._SAPS/low_SAPS

FWIW, Subaru Japan still allows high SAPS Euro 0W30 and 5W40 oils in DITs.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.