Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Luxkeiwoker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469111
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
Black

Default Help troubleshooting P0448 (MY06 STI)

Hey guys,

I have had a CEL for the last couple of months and since I started to use the car more and more, it really started to annoy me, especially because cruise control is deactivated (blinking light).

I used my OBDLink LX to diagnose the code, and received

Code:
P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Shorted
After deletion of the error, it popped back up after a few miles. I then started digging into possible root causes. Seems like it's the vent valve for the charocal canister.

Here is what I did so far (pictures below):

- inspection of the canister - looks fine
- took of the electrical plug of the valve and cleaned it from any debris/dirt
- put the car in test mode (2 green plugs under the steering column) and measured the voltage between both cables --> it was varying between ~7 to ~12 Volts which is presumably what it should do
- also checked if there is a shortage on the plug, but the voltmeter didn't beep
- measured the resistance between both connectors on the valve --> voltmeter shows ~27 Ohms (is that correct?)
- tried to remove the valve from the canister, but it sits in there pretty tight - not sure if it is even designed to be pulled out like that
- put the plug back on the valve actuator while in test mode to hear if there is any noise coming from the valve --> it stayed silent

I'm not sure what to conclude now. Is the valve defective? If so, can I replace it with a new one, or do I have to buy a completely new charocal can?

Since I'm based in Europe, I don't really care about the EVAP system, so if there is any way to just completely disable this while also not having a CEL, I'm open to it.
Luxkeiwoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
EJ_Enthusiast
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341058

Did you check the input signal voltage at the ECM?
EJ_Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

If it's anything like our 05 (likely), the housing on our vent valve was broken allowing air past the seal. We also had a silent valve when power was applied to it.
I bought a new valve from RockAuto for about $38US. Could not get hardware apart, so broke off the mounting tab and tywrapped the new valve in.
No more code, valve was replaced about a week ago.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
EJ_Enthusiast
Scooby Newbie

If you turn the ignition switch to the ON position and measure the voltage between ECM and a chassis ground. The connector on the ECM to test would be (B134) Number 13 (I believe that's the pin) and a chassis ground.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
EJ_Enthusiast
Scooby Newbie

Hopefully it's just a valve but if not I'm here to help if you'd like to go through diagnostic steps to eliminate possible culprits for your check engine light concern.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Luxkeiwoker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_Enthusiast View Post
Hopefully it's just a valve but if not I'm here to help if you'd like to go through diagnostic steps to eliminate possible culprits for your check engine light concern.
Thanks, I will measure directly on the ECM as soon as I'm back from vacation. Do you happen to know if the measured resistance of the valve (27 Ohm) is correct?

Can I remove the valve from the charocal can, or would I need to replace the complete can? I believe there is a difference between the 04/05 model and the 06/07 one. The P/N is different for the charocal can and so is the pricing (the latter model is much more expensive)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
EJ_Enthusiast
Scooby Newbie

I'm not sure if the valve can be separated (today is my day off and I'm a Subaru tech at a dealer) but otherwise I'd try to check for you. As for the ohm reading, if I remember correctly that reading may be too high (27 ohms seems out of spec). I'll look into it again and I'll get back to you.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Luxkeiwoker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
Black

Ok so I measured the voltage at the ECM on the pin while in test mode (I confirmed it as well with the shop manual and it is indeed Pin 13). The voltage is cycling between 11,3 V (battery voltage) and 0 V. I then measured the voltage with the valve disconnected and nothing changed. Still cycling as it should. So the wirering seems to be OK.

I then hooked up the electrical connectors on the valve to my voltmeter and measured the resistance again. It showed ~ 32 Ohms.

Since I still couldn't hear or feel anything during test mode and the plug connected, I decided to hook up the valve directly to a voltage source (10V) by crocodile clips. When connecting the top pin to + and the lower pin - nothing happend. This seems to be the right polarity since the actual plug delivers the voltage to the pin on the top. I switched the power source on and off serveral times since I thought the the valve may just be stuck and could loosen up by quickly applying voltage and disconnecting it again

Oddly enough when I reversed the polarity I could hear a clicking noise which sounded and felt like a closing or opening relais but not like a mechanical valve.

I re-measured the resistance after that again and the voltmeter showed 4 Ohms and slowly rising.

So now what?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Sounds like a dead valve. It's a coil inside it, no polarity so it will work wired either way.

If you want to be sure, pull the hoses off, blow through the valve each direction. Then, apply power to the valve and blow through each way.
Should be obvious if the valve is working or not.

Ours could just replace the valve separate from the canister.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
caw94103
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468451
Default 03 Wrx P0448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxkeiwoker View Post
Ok so I measured the voltage at the ECM on the pin while in test mode (I confirmed it as well with the shop manual and it is indeed Pin 13). The voltage is cycling between 11,3 V (battery voltage) and 0 V. I then measured the voltage with the valve disconnected and nothing changed. Still cycling as it should. So the wirering seems to be OK.

I then hooked up the electrical connectors on the valve to my voltmeter and measured the resistance again. It showed ~ 32 Ohms.

Since I still couldn't hear or feel anything during test mode and the plug connected, I decided to hook up the valve directly to a voltage source (10V) by crocodile clips. When connecting the top pin to + and the lower pin - nothing happend. This seems to be the right polarity since the actual plug delivers the voltage to the pin on the top. I switched the power source on and off serveral times since I thought the the valve may just be stuck and could loosen up by quickly applying voltage and disconnecting it again

Oddly enough when I reversed the polarity I could hear a clicking noise which sounded and felt like a closing or opening relais but not like a mechanical valve.

I re-measured the resistance after that again and the voltmeter showed 4 Ohms and slowly rising.

So now what?

Im curious if you ever found a fix for this code? Ive had the P0448 for awhile now and moved states so I need to fix it in order to pass emissions and im having some difficulty

I connected the 2 test connectors under the driver side and checked the function of the vent valve but couldn't hear or feel anything from it. I then took the connector off the valve and measured at the connector. It was varying between 6.4V - 11.3V so I figured the wiring was good according to what others were saying. I took the vent valve off to test and got 26.4 ohms but when I applied power to it, the valve would still actuate which I thought was weird. I still ordered a new vent valve anyways hoping it would fix the problem.

After installing the new vent valve and double checking the wiring, I cleared the code and test drove it but the engine light returned in 5 miles with the same damn P0448 code. I plugged the test connectors together and double checked the voltage coming out to the vent valve connector and it still tested between 6v and 12v, but when I plugged it back in the new vent valve still had no function at all.

Did I somehow short the new vent valve already or possibly just get a ****ty part?

I decided to check the ECM wiring in my 03 WRX and on connector b134, pin 13 is a light green/red wire. Is this the same as the STI? I tested it with the key on it hit 9V then dropped immediately and stayed at 0.042V. With the test connectors together, it was reading 9v - 0.040v then would hit OL and continue on. Now it had me thinking something was wrong with the wiring or it may be a different pin on the WRX.

I am completely stuck and dont know what to do next! If anyone has any answers I would appreciate it!!
caw94103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
Freemotion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484738

I have the exact same issue. I've checked for leaks in the gas cap, gone over all the connections, and all is good. Apparently, a lot of shops won't even touch this, since they say it's a can of worms.
Freemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
jgal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369628
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 forester x
blu

Any updates to this issue?

I'm also working to try and clear this code and the p1440

I've rewired a corroded harness to the valve and grabbed another valve from the wreckers as mine had the pins corroded,

Thanks
jgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Luxkeiwoker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
Black

I ended up pulling the whole charocal canister out and just disabling the CELs by dumping the Firmware with a Tactrix Openport, disabling the CELs in Romraider and reflashing the modified Firmware.

Although I do still have an issue with P1400 popping up, even though I disabled the code.