Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424843
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default Mobile One 5w30 ESP Formula Change

Mobile One 5w30 ESP has been one of the better and preferred 5w30 oils for us FA20DIT guys. It has always been a bit of a pain to find, but it has been what I have been using for the last 25k+ miles.

I was just about to buy another case of the stuff, and noticed the packaging has changed. It now comes in Quart bottles, and has been "Americanized" which means the quality of the formula has gone down. I did a little digging, and confirmed the old "European Formula" that came in liter bottles, has been disconnected, and replaced with the new formula in Quart bottles. Here is what has changed from what I gathered:

Quote:
Drop in HTHS from 3.58 to 3.5. Ash going from 0.6 to 0.8, and flash point going from 254c to average 230c.
Also, I believe it has lost its BMW LL04 certification. Sadly, it has lost what has made it special compared to the other 5w30 options we had.

Here is what the old bottle looked like:

And here is the new:
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2019, 01:20 AM   #2
Daica
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504530

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
Mobile One 5w30 ESP has been one of the better and preferred 5w30 oils for us FA20DIT guys.
My friend told me to stay away from Mobil One 5w30. Even the mechanic at the oil shop told me the same thing. Is Mobil One 5W really okay for the FA20DIT engines?
Daica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default Mobile One 5w30 ESP Formula Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daica View Post
My friend told me to stay away from Mobil One 5w30. Even the mechanic at the oil shop told me the same thing. Is Mobil One 5W really okay for the FA20DIT engines?

Brand doesnít matter. Most likely they were referring to the Resource Conserving GF5 5W-30 version which shears the same as all GF5 oils. Read the Oil Selection Guide Sticky.

As to the reformulated ESP, itís too early to tell if the changes are for the worse. Even if anti wear additives have been reduced that doesnít tell the whole picture. Also, the HTHS will not drop below 3.5 since that is the minimum for the ACEA C3 spec.

Hereís a discussion about LL04:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...ng#Post5164868

That said, Shell Rotella RT6 5W30 MV is a great alternative if you want another good high HTHS/reduced SAPS oil:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...-km-4500-miles

Last edited by bluesubie; 07-23-2019 at 06:29 PM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote