Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
aloferradas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 398157
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
JBP

Default 04 WRX- Changing timing belt tomorrow

Hey what's up Subaru fam.

Going to be replacing my timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, thermostat, and water pump tomorrow on my 2004 WRX mt. Been planning this work for a while now and finally have the parts and time to do it.

I've researched a ton and gone through many of the guides available on how to perform this job.

I have the company 23 cam lock tool since lining everything back up and making sure the timing is good with my new system is the part I'm most paranoid of.

If anyone with experience has any last min tips/tricks to help my job it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
aloferradas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2019, 12:48 AM   #2
Lian
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505158
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
Silver Metallic

Default Some Questions For You

So i have a 2.5RS NA. Just got it a few weeks ago. I think i may need to replace the belts aswell but not sure. What sounds would you be hearing from a worn belt?
Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
aloferradas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lian View Post
So i have a 2.5RS NA. Just got it a few weeks ago. I think i may need to replace the belts aswell but not sure. What sounds would you be hearing from a worn belt?
Check you accessory belts. They may be the culprits. My AC idler pulley went bad and was making noise a year ago. Replaced it and it was as good as new. The timing belt should be replaced at 100K so if that hasnt been done you should start thinking of doing that.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
BlueRibbonRyan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503883
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Along with 100k miles I also say never let a timing belt go more than 10 years old, had a Mitsubishi that only had 50k miles in my shop once that the belt completely shredded from age. As for tips and tricks, my best friend when doing any DOHC timing belt is patience!! If things aren't lining up and you get frustrated, step away instead of acting on the frustration. Also, do not over torque anything, have seen people snap bolts to tensioner and idlers. Other than that just triple check all timing marks before allowing tension and I assume it will have the guide above the crank pulley that needs proper gap since its manual transmission. Always turn motor a few rotations and double check all marks line back up before reassembly.
BlueRibbonRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
aloferradas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbonRyan View Post
Along with 100k miles I also say never let a timing belt go more than 10 years old, had a Mitsubishi that only had 50k miles in my shop once that the belt completely shredded from age. As for tips and tricks, my best friend when doing any DOHC timing belt is patience!! If things aren't lining up and you get frustrated, step away instead of acting on the frustration. Also, do not over torque anything, have seen people snap bolts to tensioner and idlers. Other than that just triple check all timing marks before allowing tension and I assume it will have the guide above the crank pulley that needs proper gap since its manual transmission. Always turn motor a few rotations and double check all marks line back up before reassembly.
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up doing the timing belt this past Friday. Wish I would've seen your warning on not over torquing things sooner... I got my torque specs mixed up and stripped the threads in 2 locations out of the block while installing the new water pump. It was a headache and a half. On the bright side: I now know how to use a helicoil kit haha. After using the helicol kit to install new M6 x 1 threads for the water pump bolts everything went smoothly.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Phillyg9600
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500445
Default How

How long did it take you ? My 04 wrx is due for it and a few other things I've been putting off
Phillyg9600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
aloferradas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyg9600 View Post
How long did it take you ? My 04 wrx is due for it and a few other things I've been putting off
Taking my time and doing it by myself it took me about 6 hours. This is not including the time it took me to diagnose and resolve the stripped bolt hole issue in my block (took me about 3.5 hours total for that).