Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #551
wingman358
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146760
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDriver123 View Post
I saw the IACV wire connector plug wasn't plugged in so i thought i should plug it in. however it randomly started idling at 2500. i tried disconnecting battery,checked the throttle cable and it is slack. No Cruise control cable on my forester. Any ideas? It was idling normally before i plugged in the connector. Vehicle is a 2000 Forester GT with 2006 EJ257 sti engine.
I bet your IACV is stuck fully open
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wingman358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #552
LarryRS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 219682
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2005 9-2X

Default

This fixed my issue. I got a CEL for P0507 and P0519. My symptoms were not apparent at first but became an engine idle starting around 1500rpms and often opening up to 2000 rpms in park in 50-60degreeF temps. While driving with the issue existing for a day, I noticed a shudder in the <2500 rpm range while accelerating and some slight rpm shudders on decel between gears.

I got the replacement gasket and did the IACV cleaning. Only I pulled off the IACV a second time when I realized I didn't actuate the valve and verify it was opening without resistance. IACV had plenty of black dirt but no solids to speak of. Got it real clean.
Testing afterwards, the idle seemed to still be high, but after a test drive the high idle and shudder during accel went away.

Thanks OP!
LarryRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #553
White-o
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 363497
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Black

Default

Seems like there are a range of different symptoms leading up to this. I have an 03 wrx with a jdm 205 and it started blipping the throttle from 2-3k rpms on my way home the other day. The rpms mostly stayed in that range, but sometimes would rev up to 4. I got it home and parked it. My mechanic thought it could be a vacuum leak, so I went out with a bottle of brake cleaner and started it up. But this time the rpms didn't blip, they just held steady at 3 until they started climbing higher and the engine was cold so I just shut it off. The next time I started it the rpms stayed at 2k but the engine was running terribly and sounded like it was misfiring, and the ecu threw a P1507 (Idle Air Control Valve Misfunction)

I'm going to order a gasket and clean my valve, but the way the car was running on the last start up has me worried.

Also, I loosened the two soft screws and coolant immediately started leaking out, which I didn't see mentioned in this write up. My mechanic told me it will spill out and you need to bleed the system after replacing the valve.

I'm just concerned that other people seem to just have a consistent high or low idle, whereas my car seems to do something worse every time I start it.
White-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #554
wingman358
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146760
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White-o View Post
Seems like there are a range of different symptoms leading up to this. I have an 03 wrx with a jdm 205 and it started blipping the throttle from 2-3k rpms on my way home the other day. The rpms mostly stayed in that range, but sometimes would rev up to 4. I got it home and parked it. My mechanic thought it could be a vacuum leak, so I went out with a bottle of brake cleaner and started it up. But this time the rpms didn't blip, they just held steady at 3 until they started climbing higher and the engine was cold so I just shut it off. The next time I started it the rpms stayed at 2k but the engine was running terribly and sounded like it was misfiring, and the ecu threw a P1507 (Idle Air Control Valve Misfunction)

I'm going to order a gasket and clean my valve, but the way the car was running on the last start up has me worried.

Also, I loosened the two soft screws and coolant immediately started leaking out, which I didn't see mentioned in this write up. My mechanic told me it will spill out and you need to bleed the system after replacing the valve.

I'm just concerned that other people seem to just have a consistent high or low idle, whereas my car seems to do something worse every time I start it.
Mine did that. Sometimes it gets stuck wide open which is the cause for the climbing idle. When you pull the IACV off I bet you the valve is stuck open with some crunchy gunk up in there. Blast it with solvent and work it loose. Mines been good for ~15k miles since I cleaned it last, no issues. Let us know how it goes.
wingman358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #555
White-o
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 363497
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman358 View Post
Mine did that. Sometimes it gets stuck wide open which is the cause for the climbing idle. When you pull the IACV off I bet you the valve is stuck open with some crunchy gunk up in there. Blast it with solvent and work it loose. Mines been good for ~15k miles since I cleaned it last, no issues. Let us know how it goes.
Thats good to hear lol. I'm about to open the valve up now so we'll see what I find
White-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #556
White-o
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 363497
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Vehicle:
2003 Wrx
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman358 View Post
Mine did that. Sometimes it gets stuck wide open which is the cause for the climbing idle. When you pull the IACV off I bet you the valve is stuck open with some crunchy gunk up in there. Blast it with solvent and work it loose. Mines been good for ~15k miles since I cleaned it last, no issues. Let us know how it goes.
I'm not 100% sure how this valve even works so I can't tell if its stuck open or not. Theres two rectangle openings and within them, in between them, theres a cylinder extending all the way across. I assume thats the piece that opens and closes. But I'm not sure if this is it in its open or closed position lol
If the valve is stuck open, should I be expecting it to snap shut once I clean it enough?

Last edited by White-o; 08-17-2018 at 03:38 PM.
White-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #557
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White-o View Post
I'm not 100% sure how this valve even works so I can't tell if its stuck open or not. Theres two rectangle openings and within them, in between them, theres a cylinder extending all the way across. I assume thats the piece that opens and closes. But I'm not sure if this is it in its open or closed position lol
If the valve is stuck open, should I be expecting it to snap shut once I clean it enough?
No, a small electric motor moves it. You can carefully move it back and forth, bit don't force it.
While a new gasket is great, a thin smear of wheel bearing grease does OK on the mating surfaces.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #558
ElementGFX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494856
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

I picked up my 02 WRX about 4 months ago and its always idled consistentally at 400 since I got it, never any problems like stalling out etc but it does seem pretty low, im gonna try this and see if it brings my idle back up to a more healthy number.
ElementGFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #559
ElementGFX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494856
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

I picked up my 02 WRX about 4 months ago and its always idled consistentally at 400 since I got it, never any problems like stalling out etc but it does seem pretty low, im gonna try this and see if it brings my idle back up to a more healthy number.
ElementGFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #560
flyjp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468908
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default Low idle with newly installed iacv

I have a 2005 92x aero and had the fast idle when hot problem, tried cleaning the IACV and still had the same problem so I replaced the iacv. Now it runs fine for the few minutes then dies. Try to restart it just dies again. The idle hunts at like 100-300 and dies. When I put the old iacv back on it run perfectly until I get in stop n go traffic in 75 - 80 temps and then it creeps back up to 2000-2500 rpm at idle. Any thoughts? Do I have to re flash he Ecu, I’m running Cobb stage 2. I tried an idle reset also but it didn't help. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by flyjp; 07-22-2019 at 06:05 PM.
flyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #561
Taylorsi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 440280
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjp View Post
I have a 2005 92x aero and had the fast idle when hot problem, tried cleaning the IACV and still had the same problem so I replaced the iacv. Now it runs fine for the few minutes then dies. Try to restart it just dies again. The idle hunts at like 100-300 and dies. When I put the old iacv back on it run perfectly until I get in stop n go traffic in 75 - 80 temps and then it creeps back up to 2000-2500 rpm at idle. Any thoughts? Do I have to re flash he Ecu, Iím running Cobb stage 2. I tried an idle reset also but it didn't help. Thanks for any help.
It is you cruise control cable, very common on GD, or GG, chassis cars in high ambient temp stop-and-go traffic. Loosen the cable at the throttle end until the issue goes away. Also, get a turbo heat shield if you don't already have one. Cruise control module is right behind the down pipe and turbo.
Taylorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #562
wingman358
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146760
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorsi View Post
It is you cruise control cable, very common on GD, or GG, chassis cars in high ambient temp stop-and-go traffic. Loosen the cable at the throttle end until the issue goes away. Also, get a turbo heat shield if you don't already have one. Cruise control module is right behind the down pipe and turbo.
Has this diagnosis and "repair" ever been proven to work? I had the problem and tried that fix because everybody says that works. Didn't work. I even *completely removed* the cruise control cable and module and still had the issue. So pretty clearly not the cause, at least in my case. But this is the wrong thread for that.
wingman358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) JasonF Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 1 07-29-2009 01:40 PM
WTB IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) Tical Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 2 05-22-2009 02:31 PM
wtb- IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) BrettS Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 2 05-03-2006 10:57 AM
IACV Idle Air Control Valve jvcastillo21 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 6 02-10-2006 10:02 PM
How To Replace The IACV Gasket (Idle Air Control Valve) scooterforever Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 10 04-21-2005 05:52 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.