Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
adafoo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463575
Default 2017 WRX aftermarket fog lights won't turn off

First thing's first - I don't believe there is a magic button on the 2015+ wrx that will turn my "parking" lights off, like older models. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

I walked into my garage tonight and noticed my fog lights were on. These are the lights I installed: http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru...e#.WlLuHL1MHgA

These are aftermarket lights that add-a-fuse to the daytime runner lights. They are supposed to turn off when the key leaves the ignition. I clicked the fog light switch a bunch of times with no luck. I could not get these lights to turn off so I disconnected their wiring to the battery, and got rid of the add-a-fuse. Tried to start the car but the fog lights must have drained the battery. I tried turning the headlights on and off to see if everything else was still working. Turned on headlights and high beams once then they wouldn't come back on again - just daytime runners. Figured it was because of the dying battery. Took my keys out of the ignition and the daytimes wouldn't turn off!

My first thought is something was wrong with the relay that came with the fog light. But I can't figure out why they didn't turn off when they keys left the ignition. Jump started the car and everything worked fine. Parked it and I'm off to bed. Hopefully it starts in the morning. No lights are on. Has anyone experienced something like this before? Anyone know what's going on here?
adafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

To which OEM fuse-slot did you install the add-a-fuse?

The low-beam and high-beam headlamp circuits (fuses) under the hood will shut down when the headlamp stalk is off. The rest of the fuse slots are always active (on).
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
adafoo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
To which OEM fuse-slot did you install the add-a-fuse?

The low-beam and high-beam headlamp circuits (fuses) under the hood will shut down when the headlamp stalk is off. The rest of the fuse slots are always active (on).
You can see on the screenshot of the installation video. The manual says this fuse is for "accessory power outlet," but I've had these in for over a year and they always turned off when I removed my key. Something changed yesterday.

Key information I didn't disclose yesterday:
I did an ice rally event on a frozen lake yesterday. The track conditions were very mild but it was more bumpy than what my car normally drives on. My car also stayed on for the majority of the day to keep things warm. I got a carwash before parking it in my relatively warm (above freezing) garage. It was a few hours later that I walked into my garage and noticed my lights were on.

I do not see how my lights could turn on with the keys out of the ignition, unless the switch that knows when the keys are out failed AND the relay for the fog lights failed. Remember my fog light switch wouldn't do anything. Either that or some wires were shorted.

My car started up today. About to leave work. We'll see if it starts again.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
adafoo
Scooby Newbie

Everything is working normal since disconnecting the lights from the battery and the fuse. Maybe the relay was frozen shut.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

The picture of the relay and the harness connector do not appear that they are the weather-proof type.

I would lean toward a bad / frozen relay.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #6
Solizzang
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 481937

Did you fix the issue yet? I am having the same issue. Not sure what to do.
Solizzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
adafoo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solizzang View Post
Did you fix the issue yet? I am having the same issue. Not sure what to do.
The lights are still disconnected. I suppose I should try to reinstall and investigate.

What fog lights do you have? I'm replying to this late. Are you still having issues?