Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday June 23, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
BadgeFTW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486209
Default Going to buy a WRX soon, just have questions

So i am planning on buying a WRX in a couple months, i just have some questions for the Subaru experts. Im particular on a 2008+ Hatch. This would be my daily driver for a long time in the SE region of the US(South Carolina).
-How is the reliability on the ej25? I know this question is asked a lot but i cant get a straight answer
-How are the speakers, a friend of mine has a 2015 WRX and the sound system is trash, are all Subarus like that?
-Can i get an exhaust system and an accessport without blowing it up? I love the sound of a boxer so much and the tuneability of them is something i really love but is it something i can do without reliability issues?
-Is insurance really that expensive?
-What packages were good on the hatch that i should look out for?
-What parts should i look for that the PO replaced?
-Would it make more sense to just buy a brand new 2018 WRX instead of a 5 year old hatch? I really love the hatch but maybe it just won't be the best option
-If i were to decide 100% on a hatch should i look for an STI or just base model WRX?
Thank you for taking your time to read this, i would appreciate any help i can get. I am coming from 2 VW's and a Miata so im very new to the Subaru scene but i want to be apart of it. Have a wonderful day
BadgeFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeFTW View Post
So i am planning on buying a WRX in a couple months, i just have some questions for the Subaru experts. Im particular on a 2008+ Hatch. This would be my daily driver for a long time in the SE region of the US(South Carolina).
-How is the reliability on the ej25? I know this question is asked a lot but i cant get a straight answer
What specific questions do you have? Head gaskets are mostly an N/A problem. The power steering problem exists until the 2015 model year. What else are you worried about. The timing belt MUST have been done or it is overdue by time (even if the car has 12 miles on it).

Quote:
-How are the speakers, a friend of mine has a 2015 WRX and the sound system is trash, are all Subarus like that?
Um, yes.

Quote:
-Can i get an exhaust system and an accessport without blowing it up? I love the sound of a boxer so much and the tuneability of them is something i really love but is it something i can do without reliability issues?
An axle back requires no tuning. Changing the downpipe to catless or high flow cat requires a tune. If you make changes and think an AP will cover everything off the shelf, you could have problems. If the AP tune calls for a Cobb high flow catted downpipe and you say "aaaah, a catless is the same", then just plan for blowing up your car. If you get EXACTLY what the tune notes allow, you'll be fine.

Quote:
Your insurance agent said what?

Quote:
That depends on what you would have liked when the car was new. Should you pick a blonde, red head or brunette girl friend? See....

Quote:
Well for an 08, timing belt and associated stuff. Everything is pretty normal. Look at the CV boots carefully (get it on a lift). They tend to go by time, but you're in a hotter place than me so I don't know if that makes it worse or better. Our 04 boots both just crapped out.

Quote:
-Would it make more sense to just buy a brand new 2018 WRX instead of a 5 year old hatch? I really love the hatch but maybe it just won't be the best option
You'll get differing opinions. To me, that's an obvious yes. My son's friend just bought an 07 STi for the price of a new WRX. Decide what you want.

Quote:
-If i were to decide 100% on a hatch should i look for an STI or just base model WRX?
Uh, you have to decide this for yourself. If someone gave you $50k for a car and you had to give back whatever you didn't spend, that would be easy. Is someone giving you $50k?

Quote:
Thank you for taking your time to read this, i would appreciate any help i can get. I am coming from 2 VW's and a Miata so im very new to the Subaru scene but i want to be apart of it. Have a wonderful day
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
swowlinc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 303682
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza wrx
silver

Quote:
Im no expert but IMO any Subaru will be reliable if they are taken care of. Even used high mileage ones are. Just make sure to keep the basic important maintenance up and check the condition of everything as time goes on.
Which year and model type is totally up to you. Buy the one that makes your heart beat faster when you see it. I am partial to wagons over trunks because I like to load big stuff in sometimes that wont fit if I have a trunk...also because I like big boomy subs in the back. Wife and I went to Home Depot and bought a new lawn mower and we were both surprised the box fit with room to spare.
An accessport and exhaust will not blow up the engine at all, it will however make you LOVE driving the car! SPIRITEDLY!
Insurance is more expensive but not THAT expensive but it does depend on your age, your neighborhood, and your accident history.
As far as 2018 WRX or 5 y.o. hatch... save yourself a lot of money and get the 5 y.o. instead. Unless you get an incredible deal(IMO).
S.T.I. or WRX? If it were me and I could afford the sti and still have some play money after the bills get paid every month, I'd totally do it. But, that being said, its easy to make sti power in a wrx with a few upgrades.
Good luck Fam!
swowlinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
BadgeFTW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486209

Thank you for the help guys, i'm going to keep looking for the perfect hatch. Another question i have is, i have heard that Subarus aren't the most fun of cars to drive, is it true or just a myth? Thank you guys again
Also what kind of period maintenance should be done besides oil changes if there are any?
BadgeFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
bennb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483463
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Rally Blue
2009 Forester Black

Quote:
I've had my 08 WRX Hatch a few months. IMO... I love the car. My insurance is not expensive (20's male). Sound system is fairly lame. Gets the job done. It's not amazing, it's not bad, but that's not why you buy a WRX. General rule, if you leave the cat alone, you won't need a tune. I did just a muffler delete on mine and it sounds great. I love the car, but I debate if I should have waited til I could afford a newer one (10 yo car makes me nervous about things breaking, these aren't cheap to fix). As far as WRX/STI that's completely on what you want. If you are going to build it, I'd say STI because you are going to have to just sink more money into a WRX to get what you would have out the gate with an STI. My WRX is fast as **** stock and I have a blast in it. AND every cop will stare you down as you pass them.
bennb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Red_Five
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479548
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Pure Red

Quote:
i have heard that Subarus aren't the most fun of cars to drive, is it true or just a myth?
myth, fake news, etc.
Red_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
PCWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485035
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
2005 RS Wagon

Quote:
-How is the reliability on the ej25? I know this question is asked a lot but i cant get a straight answer.
lol no one knows thats why you cant get a straight answer. Too many different variables in play.
Quote:
Yup, but you like the sound of a boxer motor dont ya?! Who cares about the sound system . After market it is if you want something more.
Quote:
Yes, all possible but get a protune....always!
Quote:
Idk, you single? Have a good credit score? Have a certain career? You know the pointless things that determine your insurance.
Quote:
I'm simple I like base model things
Quote:
The basics. Timely fluid changes, timing belt, water pump, axles. But make sure PO put mud flaps on. If not, run!
Quote:
Buy the new car...warranty (watch the mods), you know it hasnt been abused, etc.
Quote:
I have a base WRX so I am biased.
Quote:
DO NOT stance this car.
PCWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Thank you for the help guys, i'm going to keep looking for the perfect hatch. Another question i have is, i have heard that Subarus aren't the most fun of cars to drive, is it true or just a myth? Thank you guys again
Also what kind of period maintenance should be done besides oil changes if there are any?
This is a "compared to what?" question. I've owned a modified WRX and will 100% say that it was not as fun to drive as my 07 Lotus Elise. By comparison, the WRX drove like a truck, nobody looked at it, I couldn't go home and see myself in a youtube video just taken by someone and most people thought it was some kind of Hyundai.

Compared to my old 2000 Yukon XL, the WRX was like driving a Ferrari.

Download an owners manual and look at the maintenance schedule. Ain't rocket science and really isn't different from other cars.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote