Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Jr123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486061
Default Best engine for 2002 subaru impreza RS

Hello everyone I have a 02 impreza rs in my driveway the engine is seized I wanted to get rid of it but gf wants to fix it. It's her car. I don't know much about subarus but was reading on the ej25 and have read that the ej251 has cooling issues and I've read other places that all of them have head gasket issues and ej252 ej253. Is this true? If not can I use a different ej engine whats the best one non turbo of course and how hard would this be I've read about diffrent sensors map vs maf. Any help appreciated
Jr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Assuming stock performance and daily driver?

You can do many EJ's with NA pistons.
Use factory HG's, they have been improved over the years.
If the heads are good, just bolt them to the SB.
If the heads are bad, quite a few EJ's will take the intake manifold with its throttle body and sensors.

What makes you say the engine is seized? Did it break a timing belt and jam a valve?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Please fill out your profile so we know where you are and can provide better info.

The simplest and easiest thing to do would be to do a JDM motor swap. You get a complete motor out of Japan shipped to you on a pallet from a reputable importer.

It, more or less, becomes a simple swap and yet generally get a motor with ~ 50K miles on it.

Two good importers are JDM Racing Engines in Canada and J-Spec Auto in Virginia.

This is all presuming your motor is really seized.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Jr123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486061
Unhappy

She ran it without oil. That's what I was thinking a jdm engine I seen a few of them i just wanted to know if all ej25s non turbo would work. The car also has 220k I'm scared the tranny will go if I replace the engine
Jr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Can you do the work yourself? If so, the easiest thing by far is to find a junkyard engine from the same car. "Your gf wants to fix it" hahaha.....ok, tell her she's free to use your tools and let her do the legwork. The car has enough miles on it to be within scrap metal territory. Pull the engine all apart for aluminum scrap. Tranny case. Steel prices are not too bad right now. Wiring is so so to ok. Craigslist and regional classifieds to let people know you're parting it out.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote