Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
benji25
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 96258
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x
Black

Question car making a wobbling/oscillating sound ..need help..

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light onto what this noise is...
I have a 2005 92x aero w/ 10k miles
A couple weeks ago i installed my 17' bbs rk wrapped with falken ziex 512(215/45/17) along with prodrive springs on stock dampers.
At the time, I also had a bosal shorty downpipe and Sti uppipe installed but i doubt these have little to do with the noise.
I noticed the noise immediately after the install of the springs so i figured that i just needed an alignment. So i waited about a week to let the springs settle and got the alignment to my specs (camber front-1.2 L&R, rear -1.1 L&R, 0 toe all around). But unfortunately the wobbling noise was still there, probably loudest around 30 but audible at lower speeds as well. Not as audible at 60 plus but still there. The weird thing is that I can hear it but cannot feel it in the steering wheel?
So, I went to take my car in to the Saab dealer for an oil change and i told them about the noise and asked them to take a look at it. They told me that my front wheels were off balance by .1 gram each so they rebalanced them under warranty which is nice because they are not stock rims nor tires. But, the noise is still there. It sounds like the noise is coming from the front but i cannot be sure. So here I am and I still have the noise, does anyone know what this could be?
-the cheap tires?
-alignment?
-suspension?
-bearing?
-something rubbing?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by benji25; 04-21-2006 at 07:19 PM.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
WrexT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80169
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 PSM WRX
Cobb Stage 2 biotch!

Easiest thing to do to eliminate the tires is to swap the tires front and rear and see if that makes a difference!

Or it could be an exhaust leak in one of the pipes you just installed....
WrexT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
benji25
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x
Black

i'll give that a try, i have the stock 16s w/re92s
Old 04-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
WrexT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80169
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 PSM WRX
Cobb Stage 2 biotch!

Oh, ok. Yeah, just put those on to see if they eliminate the noise!
WrexT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
benji25
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x
Black

well, it's been a while but i have ruled out the tires making the noise. it has to be a suspension component in the front passenger side. It makes a creaking / crunching noise whenever i go over bumps or when the suspension is compressed / decompressed. i can also hear it making a racket when im cruising at almost any speed now. any ideas. i would like to take it to the shop where i had them installed but its about 2 hours away.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
benji25
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x
Black

anyone? please...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
2.5 Rookie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 113421
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5 RS
Java Black

Ok, try this.

Where you can get the car consistently at 30 mph and there are some constant curves, try listening to see if it is louder or quieter turning left or right.

I had the same problem, but on a 2000 VW Golf. You may not like the solution, which is a new hub bearing (wheel bearing), which is also abnormal since you car is an '05. But give the above a shot and see, it may just be what's causing the noise.
2.5 Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Scooby921
Merci Buckets

Member#: 88606
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 Grand Cherokee
Velvet Red Pearl

Or...make sure the strut tops are sitting properly on the top of the springs. They need to be installed in a certain orientation for the top of the spring to seat properly. If you have them rotated...or even backward, you may get some funny noises out of your suspension.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
benji25
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby921
Or...make sure the strut tops are sitting properly on the top of the springs. They need to be installed in a certain orientation for the top of the spring to seat properly. If you have them rotated...or even backward, you may get some funny noises out of your suspension.
how would i be able to tell if they were done improperly, does anyone have a pic of what they should look like?