Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 17, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefy View Post
my bad. guess it must just be region blocked or something. All I see is the broken image thing and when I try to open the image it tells me I'm not allowed to see it without logging in. Carry on
Good to know it's causing image issues for some folks. I've redone the image host, does this work for you?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
Zefy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 105104
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
1979 BRAT / 01 RSTI
99 2.5TS (DEAD)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
Good to know it's causing image issues for some folks. I've redone the image host, does this work for you?
All good now! Thanks!
Zefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB

Default

OK, correction - images in post 18 don't appear.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTI4Me View Post
OK, correction - images in post 18 don't appear.
OK, moved those over. Let me know if you can see them. Thanks.
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #30
J2Rad
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445970
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2017 WRX (6MT)
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Gator, apologies for not being able to meet up with you and your team. Something came up with the wife's work so I had to be on deck with our boys. I'm still up for assisting with future races so pm me later and we'll work something out. I'm hoping to do another HPDE day at ORP in a couple months, so I'll be in touch.

Man I wish I was able to be at PIR, those cars look awesome!
J2Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

Great work on the build so far!
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #32
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2Rad View Post
Gator, apologies for not being able to meet up with you and your team. Something came up with the wife's work so I had to be on deck with our boys. I'm still up for assisting with future races so pm me later and we'll work something out. I'm hoping to do another HPDE day at ORP in a couple months, so I'll be in touch.

Man I wish I was able to be at PIR, those cars look awesome!
J2Rad, The PIR races are trying something new this year, they are running HPDE slots in the middle of the races on Sunday! So come out to the next race and drive your car on the track, then hang out in the paddock and talk motor head with the racers. Your instructors will be jumping between racing their cars and instructing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk32 View Post
Great work on the build so far!
Thanks, your's is awesome too! I've been following yours and Boost Junkie's for a long while.
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #33
atm0706
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279219
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
02 WRX, 06 STi
PSM, WRB

Default

It's always so interesting when you can see the progression of one car through multiple owners and usages. I'll be following this!

I also hope to make it to a few HPDE at ORP and PIR this year, just have to buckle down and finish building my car
atm0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #34
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
96 in the garage
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
With the Perrin ELH I'm planning on not wrapping it all so it doesn't crack from retaining too much heat. Perrin's Warranty has an exclusion specifically if you wrap the headers.
There is offset heat protection where the dry sump lines go past the headers. I'll post up a pic.



I agree, about one every 40 minutes! All the heavier cars/hp ( 3,000lbs/300HP ) are in the same boat. The best car would weigh 1,800lbs/180 Hp, which means much further on 10 gals. There was an 818R there in 2016 in E0 that is about 2,000/200 which blew their turbo after a few hours, if they can keep it together in 2017 they will have a nice pit stop advantage.

I think the real chance for the STI comes with Thunderhill's sometimes awful December weather. It usually rains for at least part of the race, and has snowed during the race in the past. If we can get a good amount of rain, and especially snow, the STI will be hard to beat. Miserable racing for 25 hours, but would be worth it!
Knowing your fuel limit, that changes everything. I'd slam CR through the roof and build it more like an NA car. That's what we did on the Ford GT.

As for the manifold, I'd quick dicking about and call profab to have an inconel manifold made...or do it yourself.

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 05-09-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: probably said too much
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #35
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
Knowing your fuel limit, that changes everything. I'd slam CR through the roof and build it more like an NA car. That's what we did on the Ford GT.

As for the manifold, I'd quick dicking about and call profab to have an inconel manifold made...or do it yourself.
Volumetric efficiency was the goal with the HC Stroker build. But the new block is done deal, it will be standard stroke and compression. We're going for the known reliability and availability now. I can't afford anymore delays.

The header is paid for. I also know Jeff, he's one of the Oregon locals I like to support along with Radium. The budget has to stay in control so I can afford some seat time! If the Perrin header fails in 2017 or half way thru 2018 I'll take your advice and go inconel.

The only big ticket item I have left is the data/video system. I had the AIM Pista on the SRRT LGT Grand Am car, I really liked the engine/drivetrain data logging. Now I'm more interested in my own driver development. Peter Krause is helping choose the data/video for this build. http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...C/Welcome.html

Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming everyone!
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #36
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009
 
Member#: 68273
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: IAG Performance
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car

Default

The MoTeC dash loggers are incredible in their capabilities, and i2 is really user friendly. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Video VBOX if you want video overlay, but I don't think it's nearly as robust as the MoTeC as far as logging and diagnostics.
boost junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #37
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
96 in the garage
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
Volumetric efficiency was the goal with the HC Stroker build. But the new block is done deal, it will be standard stroke and compression. We're going for the known reliability and availability now. I can't afford anymore delays.

The header is paid for. I also know Jeff, he's one of the Oregon locals I like to support along with Radium. The budget has to stay in control so I can afford some seat time! If the Perrin header fails in 2017 or half way thru 2018 I'll take your advice and go inconel.
I hear you and I know budgets need to be realistic. You'll be better off with that 79mm stroke than a longer stroke, for the given application.

As for the headers, yeah, you do what you can. I just know that realistically, they become a consumable and the inconel pays off when it lasts several times longer than the 304 (or even 321) counter parts and come with weight savings to boot. If you want top level manifolds done, I know some guys that can knock it out.

If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask. I like working with serious Subaru builds as a hobby.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #38
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post
The MoTeC dash loggers are incredible in their capabilities, and i2 is really user friendly. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Video VBOX if you want video overlay, but I don't think it's nearly as robust as the MoTeC as far as logging and diagnostics.
Motec or AIM MXL2 will be nice someday for data logging. Video Vbox looks very good for driver development, I'm leaning towards that. Peter sells Motec, AIM, and Video VBox so I'm waiting to hear his final recommendation.

Last weekend my buddy bought a new AIM Solo which was great for studying each other's times. I am already familiar with AIM Race Studio 2 so we weren't trying to use the software blind. It really helped me see how much I was overbraking into the turn at the end of the front straight compared to his entry speed. That helped me push into my uncomfortable zone and pick up a second right there. The AIM Solo is the best budget friendly driver development system but I want to step it up a level from there.
Thanks.
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 AM   #39
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
I hear you and I know budgets need to be realistic. You'll be better off with that 79mm stroke than a longer stroke, for the given application.

As for the headers, yeah, you do what you can. I just know that realistically, they become a consumable and the inconel pays off when it lasts several times longer than the 304 (or even 321) counter parts and come with weight savings to boot. If you want top level manifolds done, I know some guys that can knock it out.

If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask. I like working with serious Subaru builds as a hobby.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to your continuing feedback!
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #40
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Peter and I are almost set on the Racelogic Video Vbox HD2. It's the simplest and most powerful driver development tool. Not as strong as a Motec or AIM on the datalogging, but I can add an AIM logger like an Evo 5 later when I have more $$ for a logger and myriad sensors I'd like to log.

Peter is checking with Racelogic about how many data channels we can log on pre-2008 (non CAN) Subarus.

Right now I think the best mod I can make is to the nut behind the wheel, and Racelogic Video Vbox excels at that.

We'll make the final decision Monday.

Here's link to download a 35MB pdf: Racelogic eBook on advanced circuit driving techniques. So far they haven't spammed me after registering for the book. It's worth reading even if you don't ever buy their system, there's lots of interesting stuff in there.
https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...e-drivers-tips

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 05-12-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #41
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default Rear Bumper Mod

I trimmed up the rear bumper last night:
....

Next Up a Contest!
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #42
Zefy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 105104
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
1979 BRAT / 01 RSTI
99 2.5TS (DEAD)

Default

Sounds like you're making a good choice with the vbox and it looks like a really cool system. These datalogging/video systems are out of my league but I've been using the racecapture pro for about a year now and I really like it. The vbox looks like it can do instant data overlay on video, which the rcp cannot, but for datalogging and reviewing data quickly, I find it super helpful. It can also send telemetry live so your pitcrew or whoever can monitor stuff remotely. Pretty nifty but it lacks the finish and simplicity that I bet the vbox has. They're still constantly developing stuff...

I'm also going to have to check out that driver's tips link
Zefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #43
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default Contest!

Let's run a Contest!
I ventilated my front fenders with a vent and and good ole step drill:

....

The Contest

The first person to post the Make, Model, and Year of the car the fender vents came from wins their choice of one Murray Constant Tension Clamp or two Murray Dual Bead Hose Clamps.

Murray Constant Tension Clamps have been used on ProDrive WRC and Vermont Sports Cars SRT cars for many years. Why are they used in Unlimited and Open Rally Cars? Because they are unsurpassed in dealing with not only boost, but the vibration of gravel roads, jumps, and extreme temperature changes. Most recently you can see them on the Subaru Isle of Man record setting car.



The ProDrive 2017 VW WRC car:


And from the past!


The winner can choose the Constant Tension or Dual Bead by reviewing the sizes in my eBay store, then PM what you want.
http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #44
uofime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 421271
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
Let's run a Contest!
I ventilated my front fenders with a vent and and good ole step drill:



The Contest

The first person to post the Make, Model, and Year of the car the fender vents came from wins their choice of one Murray Constant Tension Clamp or two Murray Dual Bead Hose Clamps.

Murray Constant Tension Clamps have been used on ProDrive WRC and Vermont Sports Cars SRT cars for many years. Why are they used in Unlimited and Open Rally Cars? Because they are unsurpassed in dealing with not only boost, but the vibration of gravel roads, jumps, and extreme temperature changes. Most recently you can see them on the Subaru Isle of Man record setting car.

[/url]
1984-1987 Buick Turbo Regal/GNX
uofime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #45
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

We have a winner!
1987 Buick GNX it is!
Although technically the vents only appeared on the 1987 GNX and none of the other Grand Nationals or Turbo Regals.
PM me with the style and size you want. And your address.
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
Junkyardgary
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464732
Join Date: Mar 2017
Default Wow, just wanted to say "WOW"

LOL, looks like a blast to drive.
Junkyardgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #47
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default Video and Data Logging Reviews

If any of ya'll are interested in doing a deep dive into comparing video and data logging systems I've found two threads on Rennlist (the Porsche Forum) that are good sources. Warning you can spend an hour or more reading these threads! :

Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...d2-review.html

and


End Users Please chime in Aim or VBox
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...m-or-vbox.html
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #48
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Before first startup of the new engine an offering was made to the spirits inhabiting the Blue Sake Bomber in the hopes of appeasing them and bringing good luck..
I thought blue sake was appropriate.



The engine started and ran great.

Now it just won't go into gear!
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #49
uofime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 421271
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none[/IMG]

The engine started and ran great.

Now it just won't go into gear!
Half way there!

does it go into gear with the engine not running? might have gotten some air in they hydraulic line with all the swapping about and the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Fingers crossed its something simple!
uofime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #50
Sgt.Gator
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 374688
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofime View Post
Half way there!

does it go into gear with the engine not running? might have gotten some air in they hydraulic line with all the swapping about and the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Fingers crossed its something simple!
Goes into gear fine when not running.
We are going to flush the clutch system entirely, service the Exedy hyper twin disk cover per the Exedy video, and re-check the new disks are in the right order.

Hyper Series Pull type cover cleaning procedure
Sgt.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.