Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday January 24, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #51
evilWagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128739

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
I had the vibration in 4th and it got really bad at 10,000kms in my 2019 wrx.
Took it to dealer and they took out my transmission and took all kinds of measurements. They put it back in and told me they would contact me when there was a fix.
6 months later I got a call that the parts were in and it got fixed.
All vibration is gone in 4th. I think they said it was a shifting fork that was out of tolerance.
Can you share anymore details or the reciept for the work etc. From my recent research this is one of the only cases that's been fully resolved.

I understand a car company might not get something perfect but it's how they come to plate with the fix that makes the difference.
evilWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #52
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Quote:
Took it to dealer and they took out my transmission and took all kinds of measurements. They put it back in and told me they would contact me when there was a fix.
All vibration is gone in 4th. I think they said it was a shifting fork that was out of tolerance.
Would love to hear more details on this. You seem to be the only one that got this issue fixed. Please share.
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #53
Buffman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 189212
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Black

I did notice when I went to the weighted grimmspeed knob, 4th gear vibration on the shifter was greatly reduced..
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #54
psychos2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 414084
Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
crystal black silica

Quote:
can you please give more info. I am having this problem and tech line says they have never seen it. thanks shawn
psychos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #55
psychos2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
crystal black silica

Quote:
What dealership did you get it fixed at ?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #56
blane101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510804

Any update on this? I've noticed that when shifting from 3 to 4, if you make some movement in neutral side to side it sometimes remedies the issue. There is certainly something not lining up correctly, I sometimes have the issue and sometimes it is completely gone and the gear is fully engaged. To add to everyone's dealership qualms, I went to a dealer and they did not acknowledge the issue, said they checked the AWD system and said everything is fine, also claimed it's due to the linkage style shifter on a WRX. Horrible Subaru dealer / "shop".
blane101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #57
mcorpsage
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510513
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Series.Gray
Cool Gray Khaki

Default Same Issue in a 2019 WRX w/ STI short shifter

I am having the same vibration in 4th gear in a 2019 WRX with the STI short shifter. There is virtually no vibration in any other gear at any RPM. In 4th gear, between 2500 and 3500 RPM when accelerating the shifter vibrates pretty bad. At times it vibrates so much i can hear it rattling. Below 2500 and above 3500 and there is virtually no vibration. I contacted Subaru and they said they have never heard of the issue in a 2019...not that they hadn't head of the issue. I have a free oil change coming up soon at the dealer so i will ask them to take a look. I have the COBB stage 1 drivetrain package installed so i am concerned they are going to blame everything on that. I believe there would be issues in more than a very specific RPM range of a single gear if the COBB parts were to blame.

Last edited by mcorpsage; 01-19-2020 at 01:38 PM.
mcorpsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #58
psychos2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
crystal black silica

Quote:
Originally Posted by blane101 View Post
Any update on this? I've noticed that when shifting from 3 to 4, if you make some movement in neutral side to side it sometimes remedies the issue. There is certainly something not lining up correctly, I sometimes have the issue and sometimes it is completely gone and the gear is fully engaged. To add to everyone's dealership qualms, I went to a dealer and they did not acknowledge the issue, said they checked the AWD system and said everything is fine, also claimed it's due to the linkage style shifter on a WRX. Horrible Subaru dealer / "shop".
I have a friend that is a tech at a subaru dealership. He is looking into it. When I find the solution I will be posting it everywhere. I have found a few forums where people got it fixed, but no one will reply when asked about it.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #59
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Found this on Reddit. Also has a link to shop work order.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WRX/comment...ear_excessive/
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #60
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6M
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Any update on this? I've noticed that when shifting from 3 to 4, if you make some movement in neutral side to side it sometimes remedies the issue. There is certainly something not lining up correctly, I sometimes have the issue and sometimes it is completely gone and the gear is fully engaged.
I have noticed the same thing, that a slight amount of lateral movement can sometimes stop the vibration. Also that slight forward movement of the lever can accomplish the same thing, but neither movement works all the time. I don't like the idea of forward movement, as that's directly in a direction to disengage 4th, but taking the two movement solutions together may shed some light on what's going on.

This vibration, which has never been visible or audible in our '19 Limited, has always been something that could be felt in 4th, and on rare occasion 3rd (typically while investigating the 4th gear issue to see if it showed up anywhere else). Both my wife and I have noticed it (I think she was the first to notice it). We did note it as something for service to check when taking the car in for a sound system issue, but didn't get any solution or satisfaction concerning this issue.

Now before the "you're not doing it right" crowd chimes in, this vibration is something that you can detect with a very light fingertip touch where you aren't holding or moving the lever at all. If you're paying enough attention while you are about to make a shift out of 4th you can feel this little buzz as you're going through the process of grabbing the gearshift knob before you're actually moving the lever at all.

I've been driving stick-shift transmission cars since 1963, and almost exclusively stick-shift since 1972. This model WRX is the only car in all that time where shifter vibration has been noticeable.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #61
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6M
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
In 4th gear, you're pushing the cable forward. If you jiggle the shifter within the boundaries of the gate, you'll find the vibration disappears when you push the shifter within that "zone" forward about 1mm.

This tells me that something along the cable line is contacting a vibrating surface when in 4th.
I'm wondering if it could be more involved than just that. Seems to me if it was that simple that a change in just that one cable that's under compression in 4th might have fixed things.

What I'm thinking is that the other cable is in a condition of little or no tension or compression because 3-4 is the gate that the shifter naturally seeks.

Has anybody noticed whether the vibration at the shift knob is mostly fore-aft in nature or mostly lateral? Knowing which might help point to where the problem lies.

Unfortunately, it appears you can't disassemble the shifter assembly. Otherwise, there might be something you could do, like an easy way of introducing a little friction at the pivot to help damp out the vibrations going up the lever. Looking for a fix here, whether Subaru-approved or not (old hotrodder attitude).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-20-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #62
blane101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510804

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychos2 View Post
I have a friend that is a tech at a subaru dealership. He is looking into it. When I find the solution I will be posting it everywhere. I have found a few forums where people got it fixed, but no one will reply when asked about it.
Please let me know how you make out. Also, where in the US?
blane101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #63
psychos2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
crystal black silica

Quote:
Please let me know how you make out. Also, where in the US?
The dealership is in Saratoga Springs NY.