Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 14, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
G1bby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496431
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default Unable to Program Key Fob 2007 STI

Recently got an 07 sti after my 06 wrx was rear ended.

Ive been trying to pair a spare fob i have from my old car (still the teardrop key) as the fob the car came with is a cheesy ebay fob that doesnt work half the time (even with a new battery.) I can't seem to be able to get the car into programming mode. Ive tried just about everything.

here's roughly the routine I have tried over and over:

1) key out of ignition, sitting in drivers seat, all doors and trunk closed

2) open and close driver door

3) put key in ignition and turn from "lock" to "on" 10 times in 15 seconds, finishing on lock and leaving the key in the ignition

4) open and close driver door (still no honk or que from the car of any kind)

5) enter the numbers inside the fob using the lock/unlock switch. Push lock the number of times that equals the value, then unlock between each digit.

6) hit unlock and re-enter the sequence

7) open and close driver door (still no audible or visual que from the car)

and the fob isnt programmed to the car. Ive tried making little tweaks like leaving the key in the "on" position but nothing.

Searching through the forums i see that a turbo timer can cause a problem with this. When i got the car, it came with a turbo timer 'somewhat' installed. The timer was mounted on the dash with the wire going underneath the dash and unplugged. it seems as though the box that the timer went into was taken. There is a ground wire bolted under the steering wheel that seems to be cut. However the black/dark green striped ignition wire is intact, which is what i heard can be the cause of the problem. I traced the wire from the keyless entry module to the ignition switch and a few other modules and it was intact, i even tested it with a multimeter between the connections and it is 100% good.

Im not sure if any other wires are cut or what the deal is. maybe im just doing something completely wrong.

I should add that the car has a custom street tune for the mods (perrin intake, inlet, outlet, catless dp, hks hi power exhaust) Maybe that could have something to do with it?

I tried a few other things to help diagnose the problem:

I am unable to enable the 'chirp' when you lock/unlock the car. the process involves taking the key out of the ignition 6 times. this leads me to believe there is some cut wire somewhere. (i know the chirp is enabled by default from the factory but it was disabled when i got the car)

Also, I AM ABLE to disable the seatbelt chime as the process doesnt involve the ignition switch, only taking the seatbelt in and out of the socket 20 times.

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The dealer wants $120 to program the fob!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: West, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 224K Mi.

Default

Negative - your fobs require dealer programming.

REGISTRATION OF KEYLESS TRANSMITTER WITH SUBARU SELECT MONITOR

NOTE:
• A maximum of four keyless transmitter can be registered for each individual vehicle.
• When replacing or adding the keyless transmitter, new registration of transmitter is necessary.

1. Connect the Subaru Select Monitor to the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
3. From the «Main menu» of the Subaru Select Monitor, select {2. Check individual system} → {Keyless unit mode} → {1. Transmitter ID registration}.
4. Input the 8-digit ID number attached to the plastic bag of the keyless transmitter or on the circuit board inside the transmitter, from left to right, then press the [Enter] key.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
G1bby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496431
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default

yes i know you can do it through the subaru select monitor, but even in the owners manual it lists the steps above. I am all but certain its possible, look it up on youtube.

I should also add that the car has an aftermarket head unit and defi guages (boost, exhaust gas temp, oil pressure).

this could also be a factor: the day after i got the car i plugged a phone charger into the 12v outlet and there was a loud pop. the fuse is fine but the outlet doesnt work anymore. I tested the connection with a multimeter and the purple positive wire is now a ground haha. havent had a chance to dig into that problem.

Last edited by G1bby; 01-13-2019 at 09:54 PM.
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis area
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1bby View Post
yes i know you can do it through the subaru select monitor, but even in the owners manual it lists the steps above. I am all but certain its possible, look it up on youtube.

I should also add that the car has an aftermarket head unit and defi guages (boost, exhaust gas temp, oil pressure).

this could also be a factor: the day after i got the car i plugged a phone charger into the 12v outlet and there was a loud pop. the fuse is fine but the outlet doesnt work anymore. I tested the connection with a multimeter and the purple positive wire is now a ground haha. havent had a chance to dig into that problem.
The owner's manual tells you about programming the key itself, not the FOB.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
G1bby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496431
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default


Last edited by G1bby; 01-14-2019 at 05:17 PM.
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
G1bby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496431
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default

Look, it obviously shows in the owners manual how to program a fob, I believe I'm doing everything the manual says, but it isn't working.
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: West, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 224K Mi.

Default

As you posted before, there are obvious electrical modifications to the vehicle.

Anything that messes with the timing of ignition key off, or the door open sense, there might even be an aftermarket keyless remote system wired in someplace.

You have 45 total seconds of time to complete the door open and close AND 10 cycles within 15 seconds itself , still constrained inside the original 45 seconds.

So there are 2 options

1. Rip the dash apart and put it all back to stock and verify there is nothing causing a delay in ignition off, or door sense.
2 Take it to the dealer and have them program it.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
G1bby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496431
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default

i know i have to do it all within 45 seconds, im almost certain im doing that part right

are there any wires i should be concerned about that would have been connected to the turbo timer? i have already taken apart the dash and examined everything i can and everything looks good.
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1bby View Post
Recently got an 07 sti after my 06 wrx was rear ended.

Ive been trying to pair a spare fob i have from my old car (still the teardrop key) as the fob the car came with is a cheesy ebay fob that doesnt work half the time (even with a new battery.) I can't seem to be able to get the car into programming mode. Ive tried just about everything.

here's roughly the routine I have tried over and over:

1) key out of ignition, sitting in drivers seat, all doors and trunk closed

2) open and close driver door

3) put key in ignition and turn from "lock" to "on" 10 times in 15 seconds, finishing on lock and leaving the key in the ignition

4) open and close driver door (still no honk or que from the car of any kind)

5) enter the numbers inside the fob using the lock/unlock switch. Push lock the number of times that equals the value, then unlock between each digit.

6) hit unlock and re-enter the sequence

7) open and close driver door (still no audible or visual que from the car)

and the fob isnt programmed to the car. Ive tried making little tweaks like leaving the key in the "on" position but nothing.

Searching through the forums i see that a turbo timer can cause a problem with this. When i got the car, it came with a turbo timer 'somewhat' installed. The timer was mounted on the dash with the wire going underneath the dash and unplugged. it seems as though the box that the timer went into was taken. There is a ground wire bolted under the steering wheel that seems to be cut. However the black/dark green striped ignition wire is intact, which is what i heard can be the cause of the problem. I traced the wire from the keyless entry module to the ignition switch and a few other modules and it was intact, i even tested it with a multimeter between the connections and it is 100% good.

Im not sure if any other wires are cut or what the deal is. maybe im just doing something completely wrong.

I should add that the car has a custom street tune for the mods (perrin intake, inlet, outlet, catless dp, hks hi power exhaust) Maybe that could have something to do with it?

I tried a few other things to help diagnose the problem:

I am unable to enable the 'chirp' when you lock/unlock the car. the process involves taking the key out of the ignition 6 times. this leads me to believe there is some cut wire somewhere. (i know the chirp is enabled by default from the factory but it was disabled when i got the car)

Also, I AM ABLE to disable the seatbelt chime as the process doesnt involve the ignition switch, only taking the seatbelt in and out of the socket 20 times.

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The dealer wants $120 to program the fob!
According to the procedure in your owners manual, you need to leave the key in the 'ON' Position to start the programming (so vehicle has power). This might be your issue.

Also, make sure the car is not in valet mode.

I just keep turning the key on and off quickly until the signal. You might be miscounting.
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
TXwrxWagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191557
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Rockwall-East DFW
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB not so minty fresh

Default

just FYi the key on/off process works for all 02-07's

BUT!!! I will say that on my '04 it took me like 5-6-7 tries and several !#&^T#)$^*!!! Rants and thrown boots across the garage before I got it. ITs been a long time since something so flipping simple on paper pissed me off like doing this did. And yet the pay off and satisfaction of getting done was huge.

Like rexrgrl said, the critical step is stopping in the on not crank positiom on exactly the 10th cycle. My 04 the chirp confirm lagged about 4-6 seconds. So I had to be extra careful going just slow enough for the chirp but fast enough to be within the 45 second window.

hints:

1. Take your iginition key off the key ring. get the fob and other crap out of your hand

2. be sure your wheel is centered and straight, no tension against the wheel locking mechanism. This one tripped me up a great deal. the key kept hanging up on the teeth of the lock mech.

3. if you are shorter or like to roll in the Gangsta lean in the driver's seat, pull the seat back up right and close, get your arm relaxed and bent so you have smooth, quick range of motion with your arm and wrist.

4. take a deep breath and count out loud the key cycles.

5. In the FAQ rexygrl does a great write up. I had to undo the battery overnight to hard reset the ECU this last time.

I've had to reprogram my remotes twice in the 10 years I've owned my Wagon and it pisses me off every damn time. I am extra super careful now with my remotes NOT to accidently turn off the chirp.

~Rob
TXwrxWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrxWagon View Post
just FYi the key on/off process works for all 02-07's

BUT!!! I will say that on my '04 it took me like 5-6-7 tries and several !#&^T#)$^*!!! Rants and thrown boots across the garage before I got it. ITs been a long time since something so flipping simple on paper pissed me off like doing this did. And yet the pay off and satisfaction of getting done was huge.

Like rexrgrl said, the critical step is stopping in the on not crank positiom on exactly the 10th cycle. My 04 the chirp confirm lagged about 4-6 seconds. So I had to be extra careful going just slow enough for the chirp but fast enough to be within the 45 second window.

hints:

1. Take your iginition key off the key ring. get the fob and other crap out of your hand

2. be sure your wheel is centered and straight, no tension against the wheel locking mechanism. This one tripped me up a great deal. the key kept hanging up on the teeth of the lock mech.

3. if you are shorter or like to roll in the Gangsta lean in the driver's seat, pull the seat back up right and close, get your arm relaxed and bent so you have smooth, quick range of motion with your arm and wrist.

4. take a deep breath and count out loud the key cycles.

5. In the FAQ rexygrl does a great write up. I had to undo the battery overnight to hard reset the ECU this last time.

I've had to reprogram my remotes twice in the 10 years I've owned my Wagon and it pisses me off every damn time. I am extra super careful now with my remotes NOT to accidently turn off the chirp.

~Rob
Thank you......
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
G1bby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496431
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default

Hello, I know its been a while but Id like to share an update. I still have not been able to get the car into programming mode after taking your advice and reading Rexygirl's post.

Also i realized that the "chirp" speaker was not working at all, I replaced it with one from a forester at the junkyard and it works just fine now, turns outs the chirp was already enabled. However, now I cant DISable it. I have done the procedure for this many times as well just for trial and error and nothing.

I am just completely stumped. Tonight I will leave my battery disconnected overnight to see if it resets the ecu or something.

Just fyi I have noticed another problem (probably unrelated), the gas gauge only goes up to 3/4 when full. Not sure exactly when this started but i noticed it last week. Apparently its a relatively common problem.
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105340
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default

I have the exact same problem as you with my 06 WRX. After I cycle the ignition 10 times; open/close the door, there is no sound, buzzer, or flashing dome lights of any kind. My chirp does not work either. My car is 100% stock except for a cobb AP tune. I thought the tune was interfering with the key fob programming, but I uninstalled the cobb AP and still could not get into programming mode for the key fob.

This has been an issue for 5 years, and have not been able to figure out why. I hope someone can help us get this fixed. my only key fob is on its last leg.
Faruchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #14
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 105340
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default

I just swapped the keyless entry module with a used one from amazon. It still cannot get the car in programming mode. It is exactly the same as with the original module. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Faruchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Gally316
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494541
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2009 wxr
wrb

Default

As someone who works for a locksmith company. Any fob that you get from ebay or amazon are known to be Chinese knockoffs. Pretty much you pay for what you get. Even if you manage to program it, they most likely lose programming.
Gally316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #16
patkelley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 403733
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Just purchased an 07 STi - it only has 1 key and 1 fob. I figured the dealer is the best option for a duplicate key (I have not had good luck with these double cut keys from other places), but I want to get a used OE fob and reprogram it. I have done this with Fords and Mitsu's in the past. Will the instructions in this thread work? Thanks!
patkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.