Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
G1bby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496431
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX STi
Black

Default Unable to Program Key Fob 2007 STI

Recently got an 07 sti after my 06 wrx was rear ended.

Ive been trying to pair a spare fob i have from my old car (still the teardrop key) as the fob the car came with is a cheesy ebay fob that doesnt work half the time (even with a new battery.) I can't seem to be able to get the car into programming mode. Ive tried just about everything.

here's roughly the routine I have tried over and over:

1) key out of ignition, sitting in drivers seat, all doors and trunk closed

2) open and close driver door

3) put key in ignition and turn from "lock" to "on" 10 times in 15 seconds, finishing on lock and leaving the key in the ignition

4) open and close driver door (still no honk or que from the car of any kind)

5) enter the numbers inside the fob using the lock/unlock switch. Push lock the number of times that equals the value, then unlock between each digit.

6) hit unlock and re-enter the sequence

7) open and close driver door (still no audible or visual que from the car)

and the fob isnt programmed to the car. Ive tried making little tweaks like leaving the key in the "on" position but nothing.

Searching through the forums i see that a turbo timer can cause a problem with this. When i got the car, it came with a turbo timer 'somewhat' installed. The timer was mounted on the dash with the wire going underneath the dash and unplugged. it seems as though the box that the timer went into was taken. There is a ground wire bolted under the steering wheel that seems to be cut. However the black/dark green striped ignition wire is intact, which is what i heard can be the cause of the problem. I traced the wire from the keyless entry module to the ignition switch and a few other modules and it was intact, i even tested it with a multimeter between the connections and it is 100% good.

Im not sure if any other wires are cut or what the deal is. maybe im just doing something completely wrong.

I should add that the car has a custom street tune for the mods (perrin intake, inlet, outlet, catless dp, hks hi power exhaust) Maybe that could have something to do with it?

I tried a few other things to help diagnose the problem:

I am unable to enable the 'chirp' when you lock/unlock the car. the process involves taking the key out of the ignition 6 times. this leads me to believe there is some cut wire somewhere. (i know the chirp is enabled by default from the factory but it was disabled when i got the car)

Also, I AM ABLE to disable the seatbelt chime as the process doesnt involve the ignition switch, only taking the seatbelt in and out of the socket 20 times.

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The dealer wants $120 to program the fob!
G1bby is offline   Reply With Quote