Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
frodooftheshire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506419
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default Considering 2020 STI or 2019 Civic Type R upgrade over 2019 Series Gray WRX

Hi guys,

Fist, I posted this on the CTR forums, but wanted to get your input as well. Second, sorry for such a long post and appreciate if you read all the way through. Also, I should stipulate this is for a daily driver, not a weekend car.

So I currently have a down payment on a Civic Type R thatís located in another state. Took at least a solid week or two to nail it down. The paperwork from the dealership arrived today and I was able to secure it for $37K minus the costs of registering in my state, so Iím quite happy with the price and it really isnít a factor in this decision.

The problem is that before I pulled the trigger on the down payment I mostly used YouTube comparisons/magazine articles as my main source for making my decision and now after reading some of this forum Iím wondering if itís the right choice.

I currently have a 2019 WRX series gray. Itís been an okay car, but in comparison to my previous car, a 2017 Mazda MX5 (6 speed), I would say that Iíve been less than impressed with its inconsistent engine tuning and lack luster gear box. About 20 % of the time I go WOT I will get a nice, smooth pull to 6K RPM. The rest of the time itís a giant question mark. Sometimes it will pull pretty hard, cut power at 4K RPM, and then rip again to 5,500 RPM. Itís all over the board.

The handling has been overall pretty nice and Iíve felt the torque vectoring system help rotate me around turns. Having said that, overall, it doesnít nearly as much bring a smile to my face like my Mazda, even though the WRX is still faster. It really goes to show you that power isnít everything when it comes to what makes a car ďfun.Ē If I didnít need something more practical I probably would still have my MX5.

Overall the WRX just doesnít produce the ďloveĒ feeling I had towards my Mazda. The other major issue Iíve had with my WRX is road noise and rattles - seriously my car only as 8,400 miles on it and I have rattles coming from the trunk, the speaker grills, the dash, the glove box. Itís nuts. The road noise might be helped by better tires (Michelin P4S), but rattling seems to be something most WRX owners accept is part of ownership. At the same time Iíve seen some STI owners report no issues with rattles. Anyways, all the issues above has lead me to consider something different as I have zero interest in modifying my car (risking my warranty) or taking it apart to insulate rattles.

The main two cars I was looking at is the Civic Type R and the WRX STi. Here are the reasons I was considering the STI to replace my WRX:

More power
Much more consistent engine tune, even if it means more turbo lag down low
Much better transmission
Better sound - the WRX can make some noises, but the STI is obviously better
Maybe itís put together better (less rattles)
AWD can be nice because Oregon does get quite a bit of rain and some snow - no spinning the wheels off the line
Good resale value like WRX/Type R (very popular in the pacific NW)
Excellent visibility
Maybe slightly better styling vs the Type R

Here are the negatives as I see them compared to Type R/WRX:

Ancient engine means horrible gas mileage compared to the Type R or even my current WRX
Rattles could very well still be an issue with the STI
Doesnít have any suspension modes - always running pretty stuff
Stereo not nearly as nice as Type Rs and no navigation (without spending a lot more money on limited version)
From what Iíve read it isnít as much *fun* as the Type R (Type R is lighterÖwhich I found with the MX5 is a good thing)
The engine doesnít feel quick until the upper Revs, while the Type R will have power almost anywhere in the rev range
Seating position is a little high - not low like Type R

Now here are all the reasons I was considering the Type R:

Like the STI, much better engine tuning
More overall engine power and flexibility across the entire rev range
Sharper, more nimble chassis
From what Iíve read the interior is quieter than the STI with less overall rattles
Head unit includes GPS and has much better sound system
Different chassis modes means more options for cruising around town/road trips
Transmission is excellent - reminds me of my MX5 (shifting it in the dealership lol)
More comfortable seats/seating position compared to WRX or STI
Holds its value ridiculously well

Negatives that Iíve recently read about the Type R on here/general concerns:
The paint chipping off - one of the more scarier for me - I will be doing PPF to the front with a ceramic coating, but the idea of buying a new car where the paint just peels off is quite concerning
Overheating - some have said on hotter days the car feels lethargic after one pull
The gear grinds - slightly coercing that three years into making this car Honda hasnít done anything to revise the transmission
Not as good of visibility as WRX/STI
Tires are a huge pain in the ass - it sounds like Iíll need to spend money on two new sets of wheels/tires out of the gate (one for summer & one for winter)
Interior might still have some rattling issues
FWD with lots of Oregon rain - will I be missing the AWD
No seat heaters (wife loves them) and Seats show wear prematurely
Headlights not projectors - not nearly as good as steering sensitive HIDs on STI

The problem with these cars is itís very hard to compare them. Nobody will let you drive a Type R, and while I was able to drive a 2019 STI I didnít take it above 4k (where all the power is) due to engine break in. At least I know the transmission is better. So because of this limitation Iím left reading online forums, magazine reviews, and YouTube videos which all say the Type R is the one to buy. My only problem is that a lot of them are based on track driving, which Iíll never do - just spirited driving around town and on back roads.

So what Iím really interested in is hearing from those that maybe owned an STI (2018 or 2019 model) that now drive the Type R or vise versa and what they might say to some of the concerns. Do you miss the AWD? How is the interior rattles/noise compared? Are you happier overall? I know if Iím not happy with the Type R I could probably flip it easily, and for a great price, but itís a lot of hassle. If you were in my position, and lived in Oregon where we see quite a bit of rain would you still go for the Type R or say the STI is a better fit?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
frodooftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

I really enjoyed Savageese's review of the '18 STI Type RA (very similar to the '19 STI). He mentions a lot of what sold me on the STI in terms of the driving experience despite it being slower than the CTR. He also compares it to the WRX, Civic Type R & Focus RS.

The intro to this video is priceless.. well worth the watch just for that.


He also has reviews of the CTR and '18 WRX for comparison:



I upgraded from a '16 WRX to a '19 STI so I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have between the two. I've always been a loyal Honda fan (much more than Subaru), but the CTR just wasn't for me. I miss the days of the K20a and F20c.

You honestly can't go wrong with either car. They do differently things very well.

Last edited by WRXnick16; 09-16-2019 at 11:23 PM.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Another thing to keep in mind about Savageese's reviews is that he previously owned a FRS and now has a S2000.

FWIW, I've owned many Hondas including a S2000 and I chose the STI. I'd own a ND2 Miata if I didn't need a more practical car

But it all comes down to personal preference. You really need to drive the CTR.

Last edited by WRXnick16; 09-16-2019 at 11:24 PM.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
frodooftheshire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506419
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I really enjoyed Savageese's review of the '18 STI Type RA (very similar to the '19 STI). He mentions a lot of what sold me on the STI in terms of the driving experience despite it being slower than the CTR. He also compares it to the WRX, Civic Type R & Focus RS.

The intro to this video is priceless.. well worth the watch just for that.

Review | 2018 Subaru WRX STI RA | The Last Stand - YouTube

He also has reviews of the CTR and '18 WRX for comparison:

https://youtu.be/eAWxB9x3SrE

Review | 2018 Subaru WRX | Same Old Story - YouTube

I upgraded from a '16 WRX to a '19 STI so I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have between the two. I've always been a loyal Honda fan (much more than Subaru), but the CTR just wasn't for me. I miss the days of the K20a and F20c.

You honestly can't go wrong with either car. They do differently things very well.
So funny you brought those up. I've watched each of this reviews probably 10 times (before I bought my WRX and now) In fact, I messaged him on instagram today asking him which one he thought would he would pick for a daily driver. He's hands down the best car reviewer on YouTube.

I'm really hung up on the feel of things - the short time I drove the STI the shifter was great ( so connected) and I loved the steering and the sound of the engine.

Again, the AWD will be great in the rain in Oregon and I know it will hold its value. I'm just worried that I'll get plagued with rattles and that it might be even more noisy than my current car. Maybe some Michelin Pilot Sport P4S would help? Then there's the gas mileage....while I'm not super concerned about the $, having to fill up quite often might slow me down in a work day ( I use my car to travel onsite from customer to customer).

Also I'm a huge K20 fan - used to have an Integra GSR back in the day and was pretty active on clubrsx forum.

Last edited by frodooftheshire; 09-16-2019 at 11:42 PM.
frodooftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
frodooftheshire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506419
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind about Savageese's reviews is that he previously owned a FRS and now has a S2000.

FWIW, I've owned many Hondas including a S2000 and I chose the STI. I'd own a ND2 Miata if I didn't need a more practical car

But it all comes down to personal preference. You really need to drive the CTR.
I completely agree...I didn't sign the paperwork yet because part of me feels I really need to drive it first. I just don't know how I can do that. If I lived in California I know I could probably go to Carvana/Carmax and find a ton, but here in Oregon they're all low mileage/new units and no Dealer will let you drive them, and I couldn't fathom asking a private party seller for a drive knowing I wouldn't be buying his car.
frodooftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodooftheshire View Post
So funny you brought those up. I've watched each of this reviews probably 10 times (before I bought my WRX and now) In fact, I messaged him on instagram today asking him which one he thought would he would pick for a daily driver. He's hands down the best car reviewer on YouTube.

I'm really hung up on the feel of things - the short time I drove the STI the shifter was great ( so connected) and I loved the steering and the sound of the engine.

Again, the AWD will be great in the rain in Oregon and I know it will hold its value. I'm just worried that I'll get plagued with rattles and that it might be even more noisy than my current car. Maybe some Michelin Pilot Sport P4S would help?

Also I'm a huge K20 fan - used to have an Integra GSR back in the day and was pretty active on clubrsx forum.
To be honest, I'd expect the WRX and STI to have similar rattles and road noise. I think better tires will help with the noise but won't eliminate it.

After owning a S2000 and Civic w/ K20a swap that both revved to near 9k rpm.. the new CTR just isn't what I loved about Honda. But it's still a great car nonetheless.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Any available on Turo near you? A coworker rented a Golf R for a day and took it on a fun drive into the mountains to make sure he was happy with it before pulling the trigger.
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 AM   #8
frodooftheshire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506419
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxguy View Post
Any available on Turo near you? A coworker rented a Golf R for a day and took it on a fun drive into the mountains to make sure he was happy with it before pulling the trigger.
This is a great idea, but I already tried...not one Type R or STI anywhere close to me. I've thought about reaching out to see if anybody will let me do a ride along for $20-50 bucks lol.
frodooftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

I can't imagine the financial bath are you going to take turning in a 2019 while still in 2019. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Live with your decision for a few years until you know absolutely what you want or this is going to happen again in 6 months when a new model you like comes out.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 AM   #10
frodooftheshire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506419
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
I can't imagine the financial bath are you going to take turning in a 2019 while still in 2019. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Live with your decision for a few years until you know absolutely what you want or this is going to happen again in 6 months when a new model you like comes out.
No financial bath. WRXs here REALLY hold their value. When I went into the the same dealership that sold me my car to look at STIs - they told me to list it for what I paid for it. It's in mint condition practically with PPF on the front/ceramic coated...never modded, raced, or even launched once, and of course the fact that it's a limited vehicle (only 750 in US) makes a big deal as well.

Last edited by frodooftheshire; 09-17-2019 at 01:11 AM.
frodooftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #11
Smurftastic
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 243697
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
17.4 PSI ECUtuned 02
BLOD Cofounder|TopScoob31

Default

I'll play devil's advocate.

Why get a different car instead of tune the one you have? 2018/19 WRXs are notorious for rev hang. Just tune it out and be happy.
Smurftastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
frodooftheshire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 506419
Join Date: Sep 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurftastic View Post
I'll play devil's advocate.

Why get a different car instead of tune the one you have? 2018/19 WRXs are notorious for rev hang. Just tune it out and be happy.
For the most part this is my primary transportation for my business and if I was going to do it I would probably do EGR/TGV deletes and get an e-tune from Mike Botti - so I would be easily spending 2K and in the end I still have the rattles, not great transmission, and then in a warranty situation things are then questionable. I just want a really good stock car - I'm disappointing I didn't push the WRX in my test drive.
frodooftheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodooftheshire View Post
For the most part this is my primary transportation for my business and if I was going to do it I would probably do EGR/TGV deletes and get an e-tune from Mike Botti - so I would be easily spending 2K and in the end I still have the rattles, not great transmission, and then in a warranty situation things are then questionable. I just want a really good stock car - I'm disappointing I didn't push the WRX in my test drive.
FWIW, I had a modified '16 WRX with flex fuel pushing ~330 whp. While it was a fast car, I didn't find the driving experience as satisfying as my stock STI. However, the WRX certainly got better fuel economy for my long commute

They tuned the WRX's throttle mapping well to trick drivers into believing that it's faster than it is. It's very deceptive since most people don't push a brand new car at WOT through several gears on a test drive. Then you're really disappointed after the break-in period and realize that the power really falls off up top on the stock tune.

I think the STI will give you more of the driving feels that you're searching for compared to the Miata and Integra. It gives you that mechanical, old school experience. The Civic Type R will be faster, handle better, and get better fuel economy. Both will have rattles and cheap paint. I think you'll be happy with the performance of both on the street unless you plan to track the car competitively in stock form.

On the other hand, a Golf R offers a more refined driving experience, but won't provide the sporty driving feel that you're searching for. Basically, you can't have both

I'd look at it as a spectrum going from the most engaging and least comfortable to the least engaging but most refined..
STI
Civic Type R
Golf R

I'd probably wait to see what Subaru does with the STI for 2021 if I was in your shoes. Hopefully they keep the existing drivetrain and pair it to a better tuned FA engine.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
SprinterWRX2018
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477013
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2019 STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Get the STI,
I went from a 2018 wrx premium to a 2019 STI limited and couldn't be happier. No rattles and much more comfortable ride which i was amazed by. The Wrx had a punishing ride! My back felt every bump. Also very limited turbo lag in the Sti with the new tuning subaru did.

I recently drove from boston to north conway approximately 320 miles round trip and got 24.5 miles per gallon on costco 93 octane fuel in sport mode . To me that was pretty good for what the car is capable of. In the city though i get anywhere from 19-21 miles per gallon.

At the end of the day the smiles per miles factor is all i care about. the last thing which is very attractive is how well the car performs in the winter with a set of snow tires. my only regret was not getting World Rally blue color .I settled for a silver one which was on the lot .every time I see a blue WRX /STI I kick myself in the ass .Good luck with your decision

Last edited by SprinterWRX2018; 09-17-2019 at 11:38 AM.
SprinterWRX2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477489
Join Date: Nov 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

Will the dealer let you test drive if you put in a refundable deposit? When I was shopping for my WRX, some dealers around my area were hesitant to allow test drives without some sort of a commitment. I can see their point of view - they want to avoid joy riders especially since actual buyers donít want to see a lot of miles on the car they buy.

A couple of dealers offered to let me test drive if I put in a refundable $500 deposit towards purchase. Perhaps check if that is an option.
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #16
SDblitz858
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498585
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodooftheshire View Post
Hi guys,

Fist, I posted this on the CTR forums, but wanted to get your input as well. Second, sorry for such a long post and appreciate if you read all the way through. Also, I should stipulate this is for a daily driver, not a weekend car.

So I currently have a down payment on a Civic Type R thatís located in another state. Took at least a solid week or two to nail it down. The paperwork from the dealership arrived today and I was able to secure it for $37K minus the costs of registering in my state, so Iím quite happy with the price and it really isnít a factor in this decision.

The problem is that before I pulled the trigger on the down payment I mostly used YouTube comparisons/magazine articles as my main source for making my decision and now after reading some of this forum Iím wondering if itís the right choice.

I currently have a 2019 WRX series gray. Itís been an okay car, but in comparison to my previous car, a 2017 Mazda MX5 (6 speed), I would say that Iíve been less than impressed with its inconsistent engine tuning and lack luster gear box. About 20 % of the time I go WOT I will get a nice, smooth pull to 6K RPM. The rest of the time itís a giant question mark. Sometimes it will pull pretty hard, cut power at 4K RPM, and then rip again to 5,500 RPM. Itís all over the board.

The handling has been overall pretty nice and Iíve felt the torque vectoring system help rotate me around turns. Having said that, overall, it doesnít nearly as much bring a smile to my face like my Mazda, even though the WRX is still faster. It really goes to show you that power isnít everything when it comes to what makes a car ďfun.Ē If I didnít need something more practical I probably would still have my MX5.

Overall the WRX just doesnít produce the ďloveĒ feeling I had towards my Mazda. The other major issue Iíve had with my WRX is road noise and rattles - seriously my car only as 8,400 miles on it and I have rattles coming from the trunk, the speaker grills, the dash, the glove box. Itís nuts. The road noise might be helped by better tires (Michelin P4S), but rattling seems to be something most WRX owners accept is part of ownership. At the same time Iíve seen some STI owners report no issues with rattles. Anyways, all the issues above has lead me to consider something different as I have zero interest in modifying my car (risking my warranty) or taking it apart to insulate rattles.

The main two cars I was looking at is the Civic Type R and the WRX STi. Here are the reasons I was considering the STI to replace my WRX:

More power
Much more consistent engine tune, even if it means more turbo lag down low
Much better transmission
Better sound - the WRX can make some noises, but the STI is obviously better
Maybe itís put together better (less rattles)
AWD can be nice because Oregon does get quite a bit of rain and some snow - no spinning the wheels off the line
Good resale value like WRX/Type R (very popular in the pacific NW)
Excellent visibility
Maybe slightly better styling vs the Type R

Here are the negatives as I see them compared to Type R/WRX:

Ancient engine means horrible gas mileage compared to the Type R or even my current WRX
Rattles could very well still be an issue with the STI
Doesnít have any suspension modes - always running pretty stuff
Stereo not nearly as nice as Type Rs and no navigation (without spending a lot more money on limited version)
From what Iíve read it isnít as much *fun* as the Type R (Type R is lighterÖwhich I found with the MX5 is a good thing)
The engine doesnít feel quick until the upper Revs, while the Type R will have power almost anywhere in the rev range
Seating position is a little high - not low like Type R

Now here are all the reasons I was considering the Type R:

Like the STI, much better engine tuning
More overall engine power and flexibility across the entire rev range
Sharper, more nimble chassis
From what Iíve read the interior is quieter than the STI with less overall rattles
Head unit includes GPS and has much better sound system
Different chassis modes means more options for cruising around town/road trips
Transmission is excellent - reminds me of my MX5 (shifting it in the dealership lol)
More comfortable seats/seating position compared to WRX or STI
Holds its value ridiculously well

Negatives that Iíve recently read about the Type R on here/general concerns:
The paint chipping off - one of the more scarier for me - I will be doing PPF to the front with a ceramic coating, but the idea of buying a new car where the paint just peels off is quite concerning
Overheating - some have said on hotter days the car feels lethargic after one pull
The gear grinds - slightly coercing that three years into making this car Honda hasnít done anything to revise the transmission
Not as good of visibility as WRX/STI
Tires are a huge pain in the ass - it sounds like Iíll need to spend money on two new sets of wheels/tires out of the gate (one for summer & one for winter)
Interior might still have some rattling issues
FWD with lots of Oregon rain - will I be missing the AWD
No seat heaters (wife loves them) and Seats show wear prematurely
Headlights not projectors - not nearly as good as steering sensitive HIDs on STI

The problem with these cars is itís very hard to compare them. Nobody will let you drive a Type R, and while I was able to drive a 2019 STI I didnít take it above 4k (where all the power is) due to engine break in. At least I know the transmission is better. So because of this limitation Iím left reading online forums, magazine reviews, and YouTube videos which all say the Type R is the one to buy. My only problem is that a lot of them are based on track driving, which Iíll never do - just spirited driving around town and on back roads.

So what Iím really interested in is hearing from those that maybe owned an STI (2018 or 2019 model) that now drive the Type R or vise versa and what they might say to some of the concerns. Do you miss the AWD? How is the interior rattles/noise compared? Are you happier overall? I know if Iím not happy with the Type R I could probably flip it easily, and for a great price, but itís a lot of hassle. If you were in my position, and lived in Oregon where we see quite a bit of rain would you still go for the Type R or say the STI is a better fit?
I ended up with a 2018 Sti. Ice Silver Metallic, But Before that, my first choice was A CTR nothing else.. I am a Honda fan and all I had was a Honda.. long story short, I totalled my K20/24 FG2 .. insurance bought by car, had a decent money saved up and I was ready to buy something I really wanted. I was just like you, doing the same thing youtube comparison, talking to other people, going to meets, reading magazines, reviews on different forums.. facebook groups, instagram.. U name it! finally got a seat time on CTR.. don't get me wrong, it was a blast! that transmission was smooth as hell and the auto revmatch was amazing and everything. It was the real deal. But, As a longtime Honda fan, that High revving machine that I was coming from, wasn't there.. ZERO.. just like the other guy said UP THERE. So, after I felt that, I took my time and tought about, maybe it was time for a change and also hated SUBARU all the time so I gave it a chance, since most of my friends either switch to S2000 or SUBBY.. test drove a wrx.. felt like if theres an STi . I will regret not getting an Sti.. then there you go.. test drove an Sti and it was just a different experience.. also I wanted something out of the box I didn't have to touch anything for a while. Also the wife and 3 kids did not want me to get another "CIVIC". lol. Ever since the switch, im always happy with Sti, could not wait to drive it every morning at work! puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, also I am still new to the platform and still have a lot to learn.. the only thing that pisses me off is the CLUTCH that u have to let go HALF WAY before it grabs. but offkourse, I stayed humble, I wanted to learn something different and new.. I youtubed for advised and went to suby meets down here in SAN DIEGO and they tought me how to drive it right. Every day is a blast driving it. Kids love that rumble too.. but at the end, EVERYBODY can advise you, tell you whats better or not. In the end, you are the one buying the car.. you are the one paying for it. Also, the Subaru community is a lot better than the Honda scene use to be . back on the 90's Honda was the **** and everybody was humble. I hope you make up your mind and enjoy what you decide to get!
SDblitz858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #17
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDblitz858 View Post
... my first choice was A CTR nothing else.. I am a Honda fan and all I had was a Honda.. long story short, I totalled my K20/24 FG2 .. finally got a seat time on CTR.. don't get me wrong, it was a blast! that transmission was smooth as hell and the auto revmatch was amazing and everything. It was the real deal. But, As a longtime Honda fan, that High revving machine that I was coming from, wasn't there.. ZERO.. just like the other guy said UP THERE. back on the 90's Honda was the ****
I also had a FG2 before switching to Subaru. If I had purchased a K20 FA5 or swapped a K24 then I probably wouldn't be on this forum It's too bad that we didn't get the Mugen RR.

Having had a slew of Hondas in the past ('11 Civic Si, AP2 S2000, K20a swapped '95 Civic, LS/VTEC turbo '93 civic, etc.), the CTR just wasn't the same Honda that I grew up loving. That's not to say that it isn't a good car.

I didn't seriously consider the CTR due to the appearance and dealer markups. I feel like Honda has really lost their way since the 90s & early 2000s. I'd rather Honda have made a lighter car w/ a high revving NA engine. But then people would complain that minivans are faster just like with the BRZ

Last edited by WRXnick16; 09-17-2019 at 01:08 PM.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #18
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

I'll just leave this here to derail the thread a bit.. for those old Honda fans that are bored at work.


Last edited by WRXnick16; 09-17-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typographical mistake
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
vlad11591
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295970
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

I think the CTR is a better car, and STI's FWIW suffer from overheating issues as well. In the summer WRX/STI's run like trash. Top mount intercooler heat soaks relatively quick in warmer climates.

I have a 19 STI, and I love the car, but if I was in a warmer climate, I would probably go CTR. In NJ weather, where we can get snow storms, rain, etc, STI just makes much more sense.

Yea it has that boy racer look, but so does the STI, and the CTR is just faster, has auto rev match, and some other cool features.

Things to note in an STI
You will hate the sound system. Newer STI's have apple car play/android so you don't really need the NAV anyway. Your gas mileage will suck. You will hear rattles, and it's not noticeably faster than a WRX unless you're in S#.

Again, I love my car, but the way you're explaining the pros/cons the CTR seems like something you'll enjoy more over the STI.
vlad11591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

STI vs WRX is a night and day difference.

No rattles at all in mine, but the fuel mileage sucks.

Also, there's 2 Civic Type R who park next to me in my work parkade.... not a single time have I ever wished I was on one of those. On the other hand, there's a M3 Comp. Good lawd......

Last edited by F1EA; 09-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #21
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

CTR all day, VTEC and boost is always a good time.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #22
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I'll just leave this hear to derail the thread a bit.. for those old Honda fans that are bored at work.

Honda Civic Type R & Mugen RR Review - YouTube
I'm a Honda nut, my daily (after selling my '07 STi) is a '15 Civic Si for commuting duties and it's a great car. I've had damn near half a dozen Hondas since I was 16 and love them.

They're reliable and easier to live with, STIs are like a high maintenance GF - fun to enjoy and terrible to live with.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #23
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

I like the CTR a lot more because I am a Honda guy but I couldn't daily one where I live. That tire/wheel combo wouldn't survive road conditions more than a week. There also this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-r-tire-wear/

I also really liked the 2019 STi I drove. It felt a lot more solid than the WRX. I too agree with your complaints in regards to the WRX. Too bad you are not willing to mod it. Few shifter mods and Ron's tune completely transformed it for me. Ultimately, if I was in your shoes and didn't want to mod I would get the CTR.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #24
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

By Spring 2020 I will have my STI, WRX Limited, Golf-R, and a new Civic-R in my garage. I am currently upgrading my garage.

Why.. because these are the last of the MT sport compacts, I think, and I want to keep them while I'm still alive.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #25
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
I'm a Honda nut, my daily (after selling my '07 STi) is a '15 Civic Si for commuting duties and it's a great car. I've had damn near half a dozen Hondas since I was 16 and love them.

They're reliable and easier to live with, STIs are like a high maintenance GF - fun to enjoy and terrible to live with.
I actually contemplated trading in my '11 Civic Si for the '15 Civic Si sedan, but I ultimately went with the '16 WRX... and then '19 STI.

The K24 in the '15 Civic was certainly welcome for the added torque, but the Honda fan-boy in me would have wanted to swap a K20 head with "true" vtec on both the intake & exhaust cams. And California doesn't like that kind of thing

The K20a and K24a2 were two of the best engines that Honda built IMO.. along with the F20c, B18c, and B16b. The K20C1 is a great engine too, but it just doesn't stand out for its time period like the others in terms of technology and specific output (HP/L). I expected something more from "old" Honda.. more along the lines of the 416 hp 2.0L AMG M139 engine.. but that certainly wouldn't go well with FWD

This video demonstrates just how fast the modern CTR's turbocharged K20C1 is...

WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.