Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-30-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
fl4t_earth
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495952
Default Headunit Swap Writeup - 2017 WRX - Sony XAV-AX3000

Hey!

Below is a brief writeup I made about my headunit swap endeavor I did on my WRX since I am sure a lot of people still have questions about doing this themselves. Prices might have changed since the date of purchase but for everything it was about $500. I actually had the Seicane unit installed before this for about a week, hated it, and thus here I am now!

Notes: 2017 WRX Premium, no nav and no Harmon Kardon.

Sony XAV-AX3000. $300
Got if from best buy on black Friday for 100 bucks off.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-...RoC1IcQAvD_BwE

iDatalink Maesteo SW. $58.99
This fantastic gadget retains the factory steering wheel controls. I can even press the voice button and google assistant comes up while using android auto. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-AVBeSk...l-Adapter.html

Scosche Dash Kit. $50
This is by far the best dash kit for a double din unit for the WRX. There are other out there for cheaper but go ahead and pay the 50 bucks for this. The fitment is worth it. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SU2...oss-Black.html

Now, about the wiring. I want to start off by saying that I did not have to solder, splice, cut or tap into ANY wires. Here's how I did it:

As per the recommendation of a redditor, I went to autoharnesshouse.com. They provide custom made harnesses for most aftermarket units and most cars, however their standard kits usually require you to solder at least a few wires. Here is where you need to go to select what you need:

https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/49021b.html

$86. Everything that pops up (28 pin harness, metra 70-1761, USB retention and AM/FM adapter) is needed for retention of everything. Before ordering, I emailed the support email to check if I had everything I needed and was very quickly replied to by a very nice dude, Brian. I told him what unit my WRX came with from the factory, which unit I purchased (AVX-AX3000) and that I purchased the Maestro SW as well. He said if I wanted to, I could send him the harness that came with the Sony unit and he could wire everything up, including the connector for the Maestro unit. Ummm yes please that would be amazing! I ordered everything, sent him the sony harness and had everything back in my possession in less than 2 weeks. Everything is direct plug and play, backup camera works great, the Maestro SW plugged right into the harness Brian made and the USB in the center console was retained! I highly recommend getting your harness through autoharnesshouse, if you dont want to have to mess with wires.

Total price ~ $496

That should be it. Let me know if you have other questions!
fl4t_earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
llegend
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370088
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Black

Thanks for this write up! I have really been thinking about going this route!
Did you add Sirius? Looked like you said you didnít, but I wanted to check anyway. What did you do able the Bluetooth mic? I want to retain steering wheel controls, Bluetooth phone connect, Sirius radio etc...
I appreciate this post to help know what I have a head of I choose this upgrade. Thanks!
llegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
fl4t_earth
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llegend View Post
Thanks for this write up! I have really been thinking about going this route!
Did you add Sirius? Looked like you said you didnít, but I wanted to check anyway. What did you do able the Bluetooth mic? I want to retain steering wheel controls, Bluetooth phone connect, Sirius radio etc...
I appreciate this post to help know what I have a head of I choose this upgrade. Thanks!
No problem! Happy I could help someone. If you decide to do it, you will not regret it.

I did not add Sirius, only because I didn't use it before the swap. However, this headunit is compatible with Sirius 100% with the adapter on autoharnesshouse here: https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-XM1.html

As far as the bluetooth mic, the Sony unit came with a mic that plug into the back of the unit and has a super long cord. You can mount it anywhere but what I did is I ran it through the steering column and mounted it on the bottom of the gauge cluster. Barely visible unless you are looking for it. I have been told that the sound quality is better as well, likely due to the placement being away from wind noise from the windshield/roof.

As far as retaining all controls and bluetooth, that Maestro unit is perfect. I have full control of all functions on both my wheel and headunit. The voice button on the wheel even activates Google Assistant when my phone is plugged in and running Android Auto!

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
jacobwf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 449967

Did you retain backup camera video as well?
jacobwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
fl4t_earth
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwf View Post
Did you retain backup camera video as well?
Yes. Its fully functional
Old 06-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
jacobwf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 449967

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4t_earth View Post
Yes. Its fully functional
nice. I glazed over that part of the post
jacobwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
tchp350
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504485
Default Impreza Head Unit

Hi:
I want to change my base 2019 Impreza head unit to Seicane Android unit, Seller said just plug and play, what I really concern is the wiring and backup camera. (12v or 6v?)
Any suggestion?
Thank you for help.
tchp350 is offline   Reply With Quote