Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Flopka
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311293
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza wagon

Default Sudden noise and passenger side inside water leak - A/C?

I suddenly began hearing a sort of loud ruffling/flapping noise in my front passenger footwell area - thought an animal got into my car! -- and when I got home shortly after, I saw there was fluid (apparently water) dripping quickly into the passenger footwell. Not a lot, but fortunately it began to stop as soon as I shut the car off. I'm assuming this is an A/C condensation leak of some kind, as the A/C was running (not a particularly hot day).

I'm not familiar with the exposed equipment that can be seen by peering up above the passenger footwell, can someone direct me to a diagram?

Did something get sucked into something causing the flapping, or did a seal fail, or what could have happened suddenly like this? What should I tell the garage when I take it in? (I'm not really able to look at it in-depth myself)

2012 Impreza. (And no problems until today!)
Flopka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

There is a drain hose from the evaporator housing that allows the water from AC condensation to drain out and under the car. If that hose is clogged or disconnected the water will collect inside the car instead of draining outside. This is the first place the shop should look.
I don't know what your situation is regarding not being able to check it yourself, but it's not that hard to do a quick check by pulling the mat/carpet back on the passenger side. You should be able to see the hose and whether it's attached or kinked. If it's connected and looks ok then it may be clogged with crud in which case it will need to be snaked or blown clear.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Likely water backing up into your blower motor, due to a clogged evaporator drain. Get something flexible and run it up the drain tube, a bunch of water should come dumping out. Then run the AC on full hot for a while to try and dry everything out, so you don't get a bunch of mildew growing.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote