Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday June 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #451
gary p
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17664
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Spt MT
Crystal White

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
T

I have the CVT, so I was really wanting a review on the 5MT. Thanks for that. You think it would've benefited from having an extra gear?
1st and 2nd gears on the 5 speed are short enough for sprightly acceleration in town, and 5th seems tall enough to get good highway mpg (I've seen high 30's/low 40's on the instant meter) without being so tall it can't hold cruise control up a moderate incline or into a strong headwind. Given that, it doesn't really matter to me whether there are 2 or 3 gears between 2nd and the top gear. And, presuming a 6 speed would have added to the cost and the curb weight, I think I'm happy they spec'ed the 5-speed.

Quote:
You do know you could put 87 octane in the WRX, right? It just loses power.
I'm sorry, there's no way I'm relying on the ECU to run the car up to, but not over, the ragged edge of knock to save a little money on gas.
gary p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #452
gary p
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Spt MT
Crystal White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObewanKenobi View Post
Hey gary great job man thanks.

Should be next week when I was planning on trading in a 2016 Outback (wifes) and my 2013 Legacy for a 2017 Impreza Sport 5 door. BUT man, all of the talk here about the problems with the electronics is making me second guess my decision.

gary, have you had any electrical issues?

Just a couple minor audio system glitches. The radio presets disappeared once, and screen froze on CarPlay a couple times, fixed by unplugging the iphone and re-plugging it. Sounds bad, but that's far less than the radio/display issues I had with my last two WRX's (2015 & 2016).
Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #453
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 428583
Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary p View Post
Just a couple minor audio system glitches. The radio presets disappeared once, and screen froze on CarPlay a couple times, fixed by unplugging the iphone and re-plugging it. Sounds bad, but that's far less than the radio/display issues I had with my last two WRX's (2015 & 2016).
Interesting

Thanks
ObewanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #454
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159474
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Quote:

I'm sorry, there's no way I'm relying on the ECU to run the car up to, but not over, the ragged edge of knock to save a little money on gas.
Lol Fair enough. I'm the same. Just wanted your feedback.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #455
TK40
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469541

Didn't see a thread about it so figured I'd ask here. What kind of deals are people getting on '17 sports? Anyone get a lot under msrp?
TK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #456
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK40 View Post
Didn't see a thread about it so figured I'd ask here. What kind of deals are people getting on '17 sports? Anyone get a lot under msrp?
Mine was a little over $28k MSRP, but I got it for just under $25k, fully loaded 5-door with extras

KC paid less, but I don't know what his came with.

Last edited by chanomatik; 06-20-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #457
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
5 door?

My local dealer has a five door with CVT and basically no accessories for $23,800.

With eyesight and moonroof (so, loaded) they are selling for $24,700 (edit. sorry that is for a Premium)

Loaded 5 door with a manual is going for $25,870.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #458
gary p
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Spt MT
Crystal White

Quote:

I have the CVT, so I was really wanting a review on the 5MT. Thanks for that. You think it would've benefited from having an extra gear?
Quote:
1st and 2nd gears on the 5 speed are short enough for sprightly acceleration in town, and 5th seems tall enough to get good highway mpg (I've seen high 30's/low 40's on the instant meter) without being so tall it can't hold cruise control up a moderate incline or into a strong headwind. Given that, it doesn't really matter to me whether there are 2 or 3 gears between 2nd and the top gear. And, presuming a 6 speed would have added to the cost and the curb weight, I think I'm happy they spec'ed the 5-speed.
Couple more thoughts on the 5 speed, specifically. I think the shift feel is actually better than the 6 speed WRX (both with STI short shift kit). 5th gear is a little notchy, but I suspect it will loosen up with use.

On the negative side, pedal placement sucks for heel-and-toe shifting. There's a lot of air between the brake and gas pedals. With my size 9 feet, there's no braking with the ball of my right foot and blipping the throttle by tilting my foot outward like I've done on almost every manual transmission car I've owned before, because my shoe can fit between the two pedals. I have to twist my foot and actually "heel" one pedal and "toe" the other. I'm far from proficient at that, yet.

Last edited by gary p; 06-20-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #459
TK40
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Mine was a little over $28k MSRP, but I got it for just under $25k, fully loaded 5-door with extras

KC paid less, but I don't know what his came with.
Which dealer did you go to Chanomatik? I live in NYC and can drive to NJ if it means $3k off msrp.

Quote:
5 door?

My local dealer has a five door with CVT and basically no accessories for $23,800.

With eyesight and moonroof (so, loaded) they are selling for $24,700 (edit. sorry that is for a Premium)

Loaded 5 door with a manual is going for $25,870.
Local dealer quoted me the same exact price today on a 5 door sport with cvt and no other options. $23,800. It looked to be about $800 below msrp according to the sheet he showed me.

Looks like better deals are out there. Guess I'll keep shopping.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #460
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
Local dealer quoted me the same exact price today on a 5 door sport with cvt and no other options. $23,800. It looked to be about $800 below msrp according to the sheet he showed me.

Looks like better deals are out there. Guess I'll keep shopping.
There are a couple of incentives right now for Imprezas. I think the new ones come out in September so look for a crap ton of deals on 2017s.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #461
TK40
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
There are a couple of incentives right now for Imprezas. I think the new ones come out in September so look for a crap ton of deals on 2017s.
I checked the subaru website but don't see any special offers listed on Imprezas for my local dealerships.

Do you know where I can get specific information on them?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #462
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
I checked the subaru website but don't see any special offers listed on Imprezas for my local dealerships.

Do you know where I can get specific information on them?
My local dealer is doing a "Smart Choice" savings of $650. Another dealer is doing a "Love Promise Event" of the same amount.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #463
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

I bought mine in Kirkland, WA, as I was doing a road trip from NY to Alaska. However, use the TrueCar app and you'll see what prices are being offered in your area.

My roommate's mom got a CVT Sport hatch with leather seats for about $24k from Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru in Orangeburg, NY. I like that dealer the most out of the immediate five or so in the area. Always took my BRZ to get serviced there.

I don't know if they do Internet pricing, but TrueCar will let you know. Definitely take a few minutes to try the app. It's free.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #464
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
My roommate's mom got a CVT Sport hatch with leather seats
Don't think that is possible dude.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #465
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459160
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Don't think that is possible dude.

Possible as dealer added. I got leather seats added by the dealer. Roughly same pricing. Overall I spent more though cause I got the extended warranty - 8 years unlimited mileage.
angglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #466
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angglev View Post
Possible as dealer added. I got leather seats added by the dealer. Roughly same pricing. Overall I spent more though cause I got the extended warranty - 8 years unlimited mileage.
But, the SOA website doesn't show it as a possible option in the Sport model at all.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #467
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Quote:
But, the SOA website doesn't show it as a possible option in the Sport model at all.
Meant to add it was a dealer add-on.

A lot of this stuff we've discussed previously, so I forget when I've mentioned stuff already. My apologies.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #468
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:

You can't get it through SOA from the website. I had it included in my quote from the dealer via their "authorized" vendor.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #469
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Legacy
Mica Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angglev View Post
You can't get it through SOA from the website. I had it included in my quote from the dealer via their "authorized" vendor.
No kidding? Very cool. How much extra did they charge you for the leather?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #470
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
No kidding? Very cool. How much extra did they charge you for the leather?

The cost was supposed to be $995 for front and rear seats and all four door panels. However, my total cost with the blind spot detection, moonroof, and HK speakers was $24.6 without tax and license.