Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 24, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #1801
Donzo
Scooby Guru

Member#: 95337
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited

I just picked up a 2018 WRX (first time being in a WRX since selling my hawkeye years ago) and while the car handles incredibly well, I am constantly hitting bumpstops at highway speeds on my commute to work. It's not really pot holes, but the highway has horrific bumps that appear to be seams where pavement meets other portions of the highway because it spans across multiple lanes. There's no way to avoid them. (About a year ago I was pulling an empty 5x8 atv trailer and it completely lifted into the air and slammed down when going over one of these "seams")

I'm hoping to pick up a set of RCE Yellows but am concerned they will magnify this annoyance. If this is the case, I believe my options are getting aftermarket struts, or waiting for them to someday repair this portion of highway.

Any input would be appreciated.
Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #1802
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 54202
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I just picked up a 2018 WRX (first time being in a WRX since selling my hawkeye years ago) and while the car handles incredibly well, I am constantly hitting bumpstops at highway speeds on my commute to work. It's not really pot holes, but the highway has horrific bumps that appear to be seams where pavement meets other portions of the highway because it spans across multiple lanes. There's no way to avoid them. (About a year ago I was pulling an empty 5x8 atv trailer and it completely lifted into the air and slammed down when going over one of these "seams")

I'm hoping to pick up a set of RCE Yellows but am concerned they will magnify this annoyance. If this is the case, I believe my options are getting aftermarket struts, or waiting for them to someday repair this portion of highway.

Any input would be appreciated.
The RCE Yellows might not be the best choice for you and your roads, but the more mild drop of our RCE Blacks would work nicely. Bad roads aren't going to magically be better, but the mild drop, replacement bumpstops, and firm but not too firm spring rates will keep things in a good place.

- Andrew
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:47 PM   #1803
Sicmrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453900
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcooprr101 View Post
Hey!
I thought I would give a first hand comparison between coil overs and springs for the 2015MY WRX. My tire setup with the suspension setups 1-3 has been 265/35/18 MPSS on 18x9.5 +38 Rays Gramlights 57CRs.

I have ran the following configs on my WRX:

1) Suspension Setup (5k miles)
Stock suspension

2) Suspension Setup (3k miles)
Stock Struts
RCE Yellows
SPC LCA

3) Suspension Setup (27k miles)
Stock Struts
RCE Yellows
SPL LCA
SPL Toe Arms

4) Suspension Setup (2k miles)
GTWORX Bilstein Trophy Cup Coilovers
SPL LCA
SPL Toe Arms
Whiteline front anti roll kit

Alignment on both the coilovers and springs is the same from West End Alignement in Socal. Only difference is the coilovers are a hair lower than the springs and it was corner balanced. I wanted to give an opinion on ride quality from somebody that drives all around Los Angeles on the worst roads (I-710) to the best canyons. I use this car as a daily and I need it to be comfortable in traffic and bad terrain.

- Ride Quality

Springs:

I would say that the springs definitely made the car more composed throughout turns, however the ride quality ended up being a little more bouncy but controlled. The front end definitely was more comfortable. My street has 3 speedbumps and I was able to go over these speed bumps quicker compared to stock and not damage my front lip (even though the car was lower than stock). On the freeways it was just as comfortable, unless you hit a freeway like the 710 where it has a lot of tiny imperfections. A small problem I would also have with the stock springs and aftermarket springs is that when I am going slowly over a bump in a parking lot the car would lurch back and forth. This has not happened with coilovers since the install, the issue has been alleviated.

Coilovers:

The coilovers were in instant improvement once I left the alignment shop and they weren’t even settled. I can’t believe how much better a well matched spring and damper is compared to the aftermarket spring and OEM strut combo I had before was. The speed bumps at my street are much better, no longer do I rub in the rear from having a bouncy rear end (fenders are trimmed in the rear btw). On the freeway it also soaks up everything much better. For instance going in the left lane on the I-110 South next to the Imperial Highway exit there is a dip that caused my rear to always rub at 50-70mph. Now at that same speed with my car even lower, it does not rub. When going over tiny bumps it also allows the suspension to return to center much more quickly; also does not have a lasting ‘bounce effect’ that the stock strut had.

- Performance

Springs:

For springs the performance increase over stock is drastic. The body roll (no swaybars), has been drastically reduced and it allows for corners to be taken much more aggressively. I personally found that the response from turn in has been much better. This is also combined with the camber adjustment pieces I installed in the rear to dial the springs in with a good alignment.

Coilovers:

The performance difference isn’t as drastic as when switching to aftermarket springs from a stock setup. I personally noticed though body roll took a reduction and is planted more than I could imagine. I personally don’t think I would ever need to install a rear sway bar after using this setup as the car feels square no matter how hard I push it through a corner. This setup is overkill for the street, and will be tested thoroughly in the fall come track time.

- Value

The value for springs cannot be underestimated, I personally think everyone should go this route and see if it enough for them. I did it first and had springs on the car for two years without issues and loved every moment of it. Nearing this May, I just wanted more performance and moved to coilovers. I do think coilovers are a great deal if you need the adjustment or the guarantee of a good combination of spring/damper setup. I’d like to thank Myles from RCE for his support with my car and making these products, and by the way this is not sponsored, I paid for everything myself.

I wanted to leave some photos of the ride height of my GTWORX Trophy Cup Coilovers

Coilovers:

do you really think it is worth going through these steps. Was going to buy coilovers, but was really unsure about buy them or springs and LCA
Sicmrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #1804
gasgaskid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455827

Installed a 14mm rear swaybar from a Forester on my 2016 wrx base model, still corners like on rails but has allowed the frame to flow over the bumps a little better, also have installed the premium model springs and struts, (old kart racing trick). Car works better as a daily driver now.
gasgaskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #1805
jcf_dori
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484219

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgaskid View Post
Installed a 14mm rear swaybar from a Forester on my 2016 wrx base model, still corners like on rails but has allowed the frame to flow over the bumps a little better, also have installed the premium model springs and struts, (old kart racing trick). Car works better as a daily driver now.
define a little better,
10%/30%/60% ?
i find the rear hits big bumps (mine is Premium model) too harsh and bounces and If i went coilovers, it would not make it any better.
i'd hate to be a rear passenger in these situations
jcf_dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #1806
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233053

Anyone running Tein Basis Coilovers on their WRX? I have used these on my Nissan and was happy with them for being under $500. I see a set for the 2015 wrx is around $450 which I think is a great value.

My concern is I actually like the stock ride quality as a daily driver but want to drop my car. The tein basis spring rates aren't crazy high so it shouldn't be that bad just haven't seen much in terms of reviews on here.
fullah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #1807
Charles33579
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469862

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceComp Engineering View Post
The RCE Yellows might not be the best choice for you and your roads, but the more mild drop of our RCE Blacks would work nicely. Bad roads aren't going to magically be better, but the mild drop, replacement bumpstops, and firm but not too firm spring rates will keep things in a good place.

- Andrew
How do the spring rates of the blacks compare to the OEM spring rates on the 18 WRX Premium ?

I autoX exclusively on a sticky concrete runway site and looking for a solution to stop the rear tires from lifting off the ground. I can't imagine this is conducive to long term rear diff health :-)

My 18 WRX Premium is currently bone stock with the exception of 255 RE71R's and maxxed out front camber(they only got me -0.7)
Charles33579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #1808
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles33579 View Post
How do the spring rates of the blacks compare to the OEM spring rates on the 18 WRX Premium ?

I autoX exclusively on a sticky concrete runway site and looking for a solution to stop the rear tires from lifting off the ground. I can't imagine this is conducive to long term rear diff health :-)

My 18 WRX Premium is currently bone stock with the exception of 255 RE71R's and maxxed out front camber(they only got me -0.7)
They're much firmer, but just below what most coilovers would give you.

The new chassis is prone to lifting wheels...the springs alone won't solve this problem. They will help a little bit. A front swaybar will help as well, but may alter the balance of the car in a way that you don't like (little bit of driver preference at play there). Big priority for you is more front camber with those tires!

- Andrew
Old 09-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #1809
Charles33579
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469862

Quote:
They're much firmer, but just below what most coilovers would give you.

The new chassis is prone to lifting wheels...the springs alone won't solve this problem. They will help a little bit. A front swaybar will help as well, but may alter the balance of the car in a way that you don't like (little bit of driver preference at play there). Big priority for you is more front camber with those tires!

- Andrew

If I understand your item description for your camber adjustable tophats correctly, they are fully compatible with the OEM strut/spring combo on my 18? Assuming I could dial in well over -2 camber with these plates even on stock springs?

I understand most people would never go through the labor without replacing springs or struts but I have a history of neck injuries and won’t tolerate a firmer ride 24/7 well.

Thanks for your time.
Charles33579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #1810
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles33579 View Post
If I understand your item description for your camber adjustable tophats correctly, they are fully compatible with the OEM strut/spring combo on my 18? Assuming I could dial in well over -2 camber with these plates even on stock springs?

I understand most people would never go through the labor without replacing springs or struts but I have a history of neck injuries and won’t tolerate a firmer ride 24/7 well.

Thanks for your time.
Correct, they work with OEM struts and you'd be able to get more than -2 degrees. All camber plates will add a little harshness over stock rubber mounts, but it's not always noticeable. Sharper type impacts are when you'll notice it mostly. A set of camber bolts are an option for you too.

- Andrew
Old 09-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #1811
spacemonkeySTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433763
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
CWP

Quote:
Correct, they work with OEM struts and you'd be able to get more than -2 degrees. All camber plates will add a little harshness over stock rubber mounts, but it's not always noticeable. Sharper type impacts are when you'll notice it mostly. A set of camber bolts are an option for you too.

- Andrew
I have the RCE camber plates mounted to my stock suspension. was able to dial in -2.5º of camber before the wheel would beging to rub against the strut. I was eying the tarmac 2 coils on RCE's site & my question why I would option for rear pillow ball mount? what benefits of this give me? My understanding was rear camber adjustability needs aftermarket rear LCA. Thank you!
spacemonkeySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #1812
jcf_dori
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484219

@RaceComp Engineering; I've come across a great deal on 2015 STI stock suspension with RCE yellows and fairly low mileage,
Would you advise this swap for my 2015 wrx?
From what I've read, as the STI fronts are improvement but I'm just worried about the spring rate being higher, will it lead to a harsher ride?
Will the drop be 20mm?
Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Edit:
I found my answer hidden a few pages back and quoting here for anyone who may be interested. i am sure the drop will be equivalent to a WRX with the matching RCE yellow spring on OEM shocks (25mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXanne View Post

I am running sti shocks and appropriate rce springs on my WRX with the white line lower control arms. They are working great. Had this setup for about 1k miles. I am running -1.4 up front as that was as much as I was able to get and the rears running -.8 in rear with the whiteline lca. If you want positive camber either the whitelines or going with a spherical barring would work best
said car and fitment from user WreXanne;

Last edited by jcf_dori; 09-09-2018 at 11:05 PM.
jcf_dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #1813
gasgaskid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455827

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf_dori View Post
define a little better,
10%/30%/60% ?
i find the rear hits big bumps (mine is Premium model) too harsh and bounces and If i went coilovers, it would not make it any better.
i'd hate to be a rear passenger in these situations
With the 14 mm bar installed it allows the cars frame to bend a little with the road. (10%) Your right about premium shocks and struts, they are not the best, but are way better than the stock base units that my car came with. Despite it's lineage, the 2016 WRX is no rally car to be run on any type of harsh roads.
gasgaskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #1814
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkeySTI View Post
I have the RCE camber plates mounted to my stock suspension. was able to dial in -2.5º of camber before the wheel would beging to rub against the strut. I was eying the tarmac 2 coils on RCE's site & my question why I would option for rear pillow ball mount? what benefits of this give me? My understanding was rear camber adjustability needs aftermarket rear LCA. Thank you!
An aftermarket rear pillowball mount for a 2015+ is usually only used for more serious track cars. It does sharpen up the rear a little bit but is not as impactful as it is on the older GD cars, where there was a little more rubber back there PLUS you could adjust camber with them. On 2008+ and later you'll be using an aftermarket LCA to adjust rear camber.

- Andrew
Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #1815
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf_dori View Post
@RaceComp Engineering; I've come across a great deal on 2015 STI stock suspension with RCE yellows and fairly low mileage,
Would you advise this swap for my 2015 wrx?
From what I've read, as the STI fronts are improvement but I'm just worried about the spring rate being higher, will it lead to a harsher ride?
Will the drop be 20mm?
Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Edit:
I found my answer hidden a few pages back and quoting here for anyone who may be interested. i am sure the drop will be equivalent to a WRX with the matching RCE yellow spring on OEM shocks (25mm)

said car and fitment from user WreXanne;
It will be a noticeable improvement in handling, and a slightly harsher ride. I would do it if it were me.

- Andrew
Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #1816
spacemonkeySTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433763
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
CWP

Quote:
An aftermarket rear pillowball mount for a 2015+ is usually only used for more serious track cars. It does sharpen up the rear a little bit but is not as impactful as it is on the older GD cars, where there was a little more rubber back there PLUS you could adjust camber with them. On 2008+ and later you'll be using an aftermarket LCA to adjust rear camber.

- Andrew
Thank you for the info! What kind of handling characteristics can be expected with upgrading the rear springs from 550lbs/in to 600lbs/in?
spacemonkeySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #1817
Trigger Tough
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491335

Over a week ago I bought a WRX STi RA edition. From the moment I drove it off of the lot it had alignment issues. It was pulling to the right. I took it to Subaru service and they re-aligned the vehicle. After the realignment the right front caster was still off, and it was still pulling to the right. Subaru of America was contacted and they said it could be a tire issue. They changed that right front tire. That didn’t fix the issue. As of now an engineer from Subaru is being dispatched to the shop to see why the alignment is so far off

Has anyone driven or purchased a RA with alignment issues like I’m having?
Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #1818
bungarra
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 441457
Vehicle:
2016 WRX PRemium
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
Hi there, I am also very interested in the Cusco Touring A struts... In Aus right now they are available for $510 USD.

My main concerns with them are that they will either be too much like OEM (unlikely) or hard as nails and designed for Japanese roads. There is next to no feedback out there for them, I think, mainly due to the fact that you guys in the USA don't tend to buy them much. Cusco claim that in *most* applications when adjusted to 12 'clock they are set to std rates and then can go up to 140% stiffer when at max setting. Also:

*40-way shock dampening adjustable

* Upright, Twin tube, OEM dimension shock strut

* OEM Dimension: Shock overall length, Rod Length, Stroke, Spring Seat
Use with Factory upper mounts, OEM (big) spring reused (Also complies to OEM dimension lowering springs)

*Newly developed CPRV (Corrective Pressure Regulating Valve) featured
Retains comfort and stability especially when dampening is set at a soft level

* Noiseless design (prevents “squishy” sounds commonly experienced with OEM)

* CUSCO Electric Damper Control Unit "e-Con2" compatible (sold separately)

* 140% stiffer than factory OEM dampening rate (when set at MAX Hard)
Springs not included. Reuse of OEM factory springs will not change vehicle height.[/size]
Just in case anyone is interested, I have had these fitted for a few days now. At medium adjustment F/R and RCE Yellows these are a big improvement over the premium struts/shocks. Bouncing gone, crashing gone, firmer steering feel/better wheel correction, tighter cornering and as long as you don't set the rebound too high there is only a noticeable comfort drop on very "jiggly" roads. A very cost-effective solution so far.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #1819
JasonS82
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452012
Default Spring rates for autocorss

Looking into a set of coilovers for my 2016 premium. Iv'e narrowed my choices to Bilstein b/16s, Fortune auto 510s, or Ohlins road and track. Im wondering about spring rates though. My main goal the ability to dial back the mid corner understeer and increase rotation. My current set up is stock with some 255 hankook rs-4s and maxed negative camber. Ive been running tire pressure around 39f and 46r rear to help but its just a bandaid.

I'm not overly concerned with a harsher ride but do want to maintain some degree of comfort. Seems like most kits come something like 10k 6k front/rear but I am thinking having a stiffer rear would help with what I want to accomplish.

Anyone out there have a good amount of experience experimenting with spring rates for an autocross setup? What has worked well for you? Does a roll center kit become mandatory once lowered on this chassis?
JasonS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #1820
uofime
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 421271
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS82 View Post
Looking into a set of coilovers for my 2016 premium. Iv'e narrowed my choices to Bilstein b/16s, Fortune auto 510s, or Ohlins road and track. Im wondering about spring rates though. My main goal the ability to dial back the mid corner understeer and increase rotation. My current set up is stock with some 255 hankook rs-4s and maxed negative camber. Ive been running tire pressure around 39f and 46r rear to help but its just a bandaid.

I'm not overly concerned with a harsher ride but do want to maintain some degree of comfort. Seems like most kits come something like 10k 6k front/rear but I am thinking having a stiffer rear would help with what I want to accomplish.

Anyone out there have a good amount of experience experimenting with spring rates for an autocross setup? What has worked well for you? Does a roll center kit become mandatory once lowered on this chassis?
Yea you’re definitely going to want a square if not rear biased rates. 8k square seems like the go to street/ track set up if you’re more track or autoX focused you could do like a 9f, 10r. I know ohlins doesn’t like letting you change rates without getting custom stuff done post purchase, don’t know about bilstein, do know fortune will happily do whatever you want and have a couple buddies who love their 510s
uofime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #1821
JasonS82
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452012

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofime View Post
Yea you’re definitely going to want a square if not rear biased rates. 8k square seems like the go to street/ track set up if you’re more track or autoX focused you could do like a 9f, 10r. I know ohlins doesn’t like letting you change rates without getting custom stuff done post purchase, don’t know about bilstein, do know fortune will happily do whatever you want and have a couple buddies who love their 510s
Cool, that is around what I was thinking (8kf/9kr). I also have a friend who runs the 510s on his very well set-up evo and loves them. Thats probably to direction I will go since they come with plates and are so flexible when it comes to rates. Plus they are cheaper than the ohlins.
JasonS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #1822
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Quote:
Thank you for the info! What kind of handling characteristics can be expected with upgrading the rear springs from 550lbs/in to 600lbs/in?
Just a little more rotation and a slightly harsher ride (not a big difference in impact but we do feel a little more ride harshness with rear biased rates).

- Andrew
Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #1823
MORGSY
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 408655
Vehicle:
18 STI
CWP

Quote:

Put on your Big boy pants and pull the trigger on T2's already, and stopping copying my build bro!
MORGSY is offline   Reply With Quote