Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 25, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383974
Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

Unhappy Subaru dilemma Gaskets

I have not posted in awhile and would like to start off with how much I have loved my car for the past 10 years of ownership. Everything I can do to this car is Done to this car just short of a major engine re-build and coilovers.

I own a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i base model i Bought the car used from a car fax showing of 1 owner (a Grandma so the dealer told me) @ 75k miles back in 2008. Currently now sits at 231k miles and both the headgaskets are starting to leak as well as the Valve gaskets. My baby has a 4eat I have shifted manually the entire time I have Owned it. (serious manual Envy because of my disability) Since then my perches the car has gone through a significant metamorphosis. It Currently has on it:

WRX header custom fit to a full 2.5' exhaust( love the subie rumble) even with the p40 code.
edelbrock springs
KYB struts all around
Kart boy Front and rear endlinks
Whiteline Front and rear 22mm Sway bars
KartBoy Poly bushings
KartBoy Pitchstop mount
A Willies Hybrid Intake
aluminum Crank pulley
WRX drilled and slotted Brake Rotors/ SS brake lines all around.

Things I have for it just sitting around :
8mm thermal spacer
Cusco 4 point ladder brace
full Gates Timing belt kit
full felpro gasket kit
ARP headbolts
Brian cower valve springs

I guess my main thing is i'm looking for suggestions and what others would recommend. I absolutely love the car and it handles like a Mo/fo go-kart. Ill try to post some Photos when I go pick it up from the mechanic later but I just at a loss. I know how it needs to be done and all but lack the physical ability to actually do it. I'm currently saving money to try to get it fixed but the mechanic said about $2000 dealer said $2500. I do not know if i should just try to get out of it now, Fix the Current motor, or attempt a Motor swap. I value it at $2500 at most because of the parts attached to it the Miles/gaskets Kill the resale.. I get SSI each month so I would have to save for something no matter what I do.

I know I want another Subaru If I do get another car. Cant afford premium gas so as much as id love a turbo something N/A, like a Wagon or A Forester/Outback Id love a fun trail vehicle. But as it sits the car is completely paid off as well so I am hesitant about getting a loan for another one.

If you made it past the wall of text I thank you and welcome and Opinions.
mdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

Oh and I forgot the mechanic said If I do the gaskets He thinks I could get a Year out of it, with me probably two. but it will mostly just help with selling it.

It still starts it still drives Fine. but you can definitely smell it after its done driving.

I really hope I put this in the right area my car is N/A
Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
98IOBSport
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480254

In my opinion a car is a part of the family and if there is as much love for it as you say there is then I would not sell it. Iíd get as much out of her as possible.

Itís not really any of my business as to why you canít physically perform the repair yourself, and I donít wish to know why, however if you can spare the time I would either A take my time and get the job done or B spend some time searching online and around the area for any mechanics that can get it done for cheaper. I replaced my headgaskets and I havenít seen any leaks for the last year and a half and counting. (Iíve got roughly 253k on the stock engine at the moment) I hope this helped and I hope youíre able to continue to enjoy the subie community
98IOBSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

Your fine my friend. I have cerebral palsy, hip dysplasia, and arteritis. Makes getting and keeping a job difficult. Thanks for the opinion.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

It start right up Turn key and is still (happy) to drive for me. I definitely Think you are right though Its been my best friend for the past 10 years. Lets me move more then a block with out getting tired and winded to the point of exhaustion. my body is terribly inefficient. Ive always been of the mind set of running it into the ground (so to speak) and fix it forever. I always say the commercials are half right Its the owners that makes Subaru Subaru.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
Exit 37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475618
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

A good mechanic will perform the work for $2000 but it's not something that you should skimp on. You may need to have the heads lapped and decked to mate perfectly against the case halves. It's a fair price to pay for a good job. I took my WRX to get the job done and paid $2200. The mechanic replaced all the seals and gaskets while the engine was out, including all the oil and coolant lines, spark plugs, rear main seal, crank and cam seals, and anything else that was accessable. The work was performed almost two years ago/60k miles ago with no signs of failing anytime soon even after a big turbo swap.
Exit 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

I wouldn't spend a dime at Hanson motors. Screw those guys. I mean, most of the guys in the shop are decent dudes, but management/owners can suck a big fatty.

I'm guessing you don't have anywhere to work on it?

I don't really want to do a reseal right now, but I'd be happy to take a look and let you know what I think.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

I live in a apartment complex near them. Yeah I don't want to go to them. I got in contact with Eddie at Eddie's subaru. Dude seemed to know his stuff. He worked at the dealership for 20 years and has had his own subaru shop for 10 years. When I left my car there, I was in Subaru heaven. So many subarus. Wonder if he needs a. Cripple assistant lol.

Oh and the most important part for me personally, Eddie said I could watch the assembly process. Explained to him how I have been there to bull**** the mechanic for every bit of work I have done to it. And he said he normally wouldnt but he understands where I'm coming from.

Last edited by mdorn; 04-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 37 View Post
A good mechanic will perform the work for $2000 but it's not something that you should skimp on. You may need to have the heads lapped and decked to mate perfectly against the case halves. It's a fair price to pay for a good job. I took my WRX to get the job done and paid $2200. The mechanic replaced all the seals and gaskets while the engine was out, including all the oil and coolant lines, spark plugs, rear main seal, crank and cam seals, and anything else that was accessable. The work was performed almost two years ago/60k miles ago with no signs of failing anytime soon even after a big turbo swap.
I'm hopeful for this. I take care of my car. I'm confident any length of time someone gives me like a length of how it would last, I would double it. My main fear is the auto transmission. If that goes I just cant justify dropping around 10k for a new one
Old 04-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

It's old enough that you either get a junkyard trans or fix what ails it. I don't have the patience or tools at home to do the measuring for setting up transmissions, but the 4eat is pretty solid. There were issues with early ones, but that mostly stemmed from plugging up the trans cooler I believe. My blue 93 has 248k on it and the trans seems to be doing great. I do need to replace the input shaft bearing on my 96, but I just don't want to (yet). $10k is really steep. You should be able to get a reman unit for a couple grand.

I don't know Eddie, and I haven't really heard anything about his shop good or bad.

Depending on what is leaking, you might be able to repair a leak and get another year or two out of it before having to bite the bullet and reseal the motor.

I will tell you this - when I was at Hanson, a lot of the guys did SOHC head jobs in the car, meaning you ONLY got the head gaskets and intake/exhaust/valve cover gaskets replaced. Oil pan, rear main, oil pump, oil pump pickup tube, dipstick tube, cam/crank seals, crossover pipe, oil fill tube, wrist pin access plugs, and baffle plate weren't touched. I do all of that, and replace valve guide seals, and make sure the screws aren't backing out of the oil pump, when I do side work. That's what I've done on both my 93 and 96 too.

If you're spending the money, make sure whomever is going to do it right.

Oh, and most techs don't want someone watching them work, especially if they're flat rate. It's cool that Eddie would let you.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
mdorn
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 impreza 2.5i
Blue

I thank everyone for there insight. Look forward to continuing on being a proud subaru lover.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500247
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Default Gasket Questions

Are the felpro valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets fine for the ej253 in an 06 impreza, or should I purchase genuine Subaru gaskets?
Nabox_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Default Broken Head thread for rocker cover bolt

After I installed the Fellpro gaskets, I began tightening the bolts with a small wrench. On the passenger side front, bottom bolt the head threads popped apart under minimal torque (almost none) and after looking at the broken bits, I realized it had already been partially broken by someone who overtorqeud it when they reassembled it. Head Gaskets were replaced by a previous owner). I tried securing it without the bolt and with Subaru torque patterns and values, but it leaks. First, could it be that the gaskets are too thick? (they seem thicker than the ones that were in it) and should I try to make threads on the head with JB weld or what? Thanks for the help. This sucks (hopefully I don't need a new head)
Old 04-12-2019, 03:33 AM   #15
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Drill it and helicoil it. You'll be fine.
The new gaskets are thicker because they haven't been smashed, oil soaked, and heat cycled a billion times.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
Drill it and helicoil it. You'll be fine.
The new gaskets are thicker because they haven't been smashed, oil soaked, and heat cycled a billion times.
Thanks so much. Iím going to have to pull the head, letís see how this goes.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #17
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Why pull the head? Just undo the motor mounts and pitch stop, jack it up, pull the valve cover off, and go at it.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Quote:
Why pull the head? Just undo the motor mounts and pitch stop, jack it up, pull the valve cover off, and go at it.
I can't really helicoil it because all the metal is gone. Thanks for the suggestion though. The threads I'm talking about is the exhaust side thread (bottom) near the timing cover. I went to the junkyard and got a 2007 avls head from an Outback ($68, looks great). It's all cleaned up and ready to go on. The only thing I'm waiting on is a crank pulley tool. Any other suggestions? (I'm still leaving the motor in the car)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #19
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Helicoil uses a larger hole diameter so you can cut new threads and put in an insert.....part of the whole reason for them......you have enough metal to do a helicoil.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #20
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

I understand, but I have no metal. The whole thing broke off. I just got the head off today.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #21
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

The entire threaded boss broke off?

I had an 87 GL wagon that my neighbor "helped" me with by doing that. I sold the wagon for $1 to get it out of my life.

And you don't need a crank pulley tool. A breaker bar braced against the ground or chassis (not the AC lines, the battery, etc), and a blip of the starter busts the bolt free.
Pro tip - pin the tensioner before taking the belt off.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Quote:
The entire threaded boss broke off?

I had an 87 GL wagon that my neighbor "helped" me with by doing that. I sold the wagon for $1 to get it out of my life.

And you don't need a crank pulley tool. A breaker bar braced against the ground or chassis (not the AC lines, the battery, etc), and a blip of the starter busts the bolt free.
Pro tip - pin the tensioner before taking the belt off.

I seem to be in the same dilemma, but this is my only car. (My first one as well). Thanks for all the tips (no I know knows about/likes Subarus lol). I was unable to gut the bolt off (even when I braved the bar against the chassis) with the starter. (It was that tight) I think whoever put this thing back together over torqued everything and broke a lot of stuff.

Yes the entire boss broke off. Because they were on the exhaust side, they didnít have much reinforcement. The center one had already been knocked off by someone else in the past, and this on was already partially broken. (That left only one on the exhaust side). I tried many methods, but couldnít get it to seal. About to put the new head on.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

My comment.....timing belt covers and valve covers (on Subaru EJ engines....) the shoulder bolts are looking at less than 10ftlbs torque......less than spark plugs.......
You just want to clamp the shoulder to metal so you don't over squish the seal.
This is a seal bolt, NOT structural......
Same for a drain plug......just a seal, not holding loaded things together.......sigh......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Exactly. I was torquing it to 100 inch pounds and it broke. Someone had previously already broken one completely off and partially broken this one. Thankfully I have this new head, so I can torque it correctly (almost none)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #25
Nabox_27
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza OBS
Evergreen

Default Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave suggestions. It's running and driving with the junkyard head. It has no leaks or misfires, and the live data looks good. Thanks for dealing with a novice like myself. I really appreciate it.