Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 16, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-26-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
fletcherSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477158
Vehicle:
2011 GR STi Hatch
SWP

Default Sony XAV-AX5000 & Backkup Camera Install 11 STi Non-Nav

Hey all,

I'm about to install a Sony AX5000 HU and a AUTOVOX backup camera(BUC, for short). I would like to preface by saying I have very limited electrical knowledge & tools but I am buying cheap things here and there on Amazon and learning as I go.

I have a harness to splice all Sony harness cables in order to match up to the factory 20-pin. What I'm currently stuck on is a reverse signal in order for my BUC to trigger when in reverse, automatically. I found here, according to SVXdc that I should be looking for the BROWN/YELLOW cable under the passenger foot well, nearest the door. My Sony reverse signal in lead is far too short to reach this area and as such I would need to extend this lead. Does anyone know what gauge this wire is? I also don't entirely understand how to splice the BROWN/YELLOW cable; do I snip it from the harness it's attached to and instead attach it to the cable from the Sony HU or do I use a T-Tap/Vampire tap into it without changing any of the existing lay out? Also the BUC includes a red and ground/black lead which need to be connected. The ground I know to connect with all the other grounds, does the red from the BUC splice into the red from the Sony HU?

I also bought a right angle 3.5mm jack as I understand it can be spliced into the existing steering wheel controls (SWC). According to this guide, I would match the 3.5mm jack wires to the harness but my harness doesn't seem to have the necessary leads, can someone confirm? This is the one I was provided and this is one I found on amazon.com that might be what I need?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR

- Not super savvy on electrical wiring currently, also not stupid and will do things with caution.
- Don't have a multimeter on hand but can get access to one if need be.
- What gauge wire do I need to extend the Sony HU Reverse In lead (about 40")
- How do I splice this Reverse In wire to the factory BROWN/YELLOW reverse signal under passenger foot well?
- Can I use a t-tap or do I snip from the harness and connect to the Sony HU lead?
- Is my 20-pin missing a few leads and should I get a different one?
fletcherSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
K2marer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495564

I heard sony integrated there object recognition software.
As for me, this is great for security systems. It captures the face parameters and makes clear photos.

Last edited by K2marer; 01-14-2019 at 09:57 AM.
K2marer is offline   Reply With Quote