Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #226
Emaculant
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314294
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Black Pearl

Default

Would this info be the same for a 2012 WRX 5 door? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2624440

And will there be any other info needed or things I might need to look out for? This is my first time doing breaks and rotors. I'm using Centric rotors and stoptech pads. Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #227
KNS Brakes
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 125739
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2007 1500HD
Need Brakes? 919.420.0021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
Would this info be the same for a 2012 WRX 5 door? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2624440

And will there be any other info needed or things I might need to look out for? This is my first time doing breaks and rotors. Thanks.
Your brakes are the same as the 2010 so it should be correct.

Ken
KNS Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #228
maat922
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 456972
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

The only job I've done on this car so far that was easy was a brake job.
maat922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #229
meaganlf5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464639
Join Date: Mar 2017
Angry BRAND new 2017 forester stops abruptly on freeway

Hey Guys,

I have never posted here before and technically speaking as of right now I do not own a subaru. I'm hoping for some insight or some guidance.
I bought a BRAND NEW 2017 subaru forester from downtown subaru yesterday. I drove it exactly 34 km's before I began to have issues.
While merging off the HWY 401 east onto HWY 404 newmarket, I began to accelerate. I got the car up to ~80-90km/hr( I had already previously driven at this speed and had no issues).

The car decided to slam itself on the brakes. I lost all manual control of the car, my steering wheel had no play to it. It felt like all 4 tires locked up. I skid down the freeway for ~30 feet until the car finally came to a complete stop. I was almost rear ended due to this incident and subsequently almost cause a multiple car pileup on the highway.

Once the car stopped, I attempted to drive it over to the shoulder. The car WOULD NOT MOVE. The car would turn on and off with no issues. The car would go into "drive mode" and the engine would rev, however the car would not move. NOTHING, nothing what so ever. I attempted to turn the car off and back on, and the car still would not move. I turned off all eye sight options, hoping this would help. NOTHING


So here I am with a brand new car, stuck on a mega highway and I didn't know what to do. I finally towed the car back to the dealership and the service department took a look at it. As far as they could see, all my sensors were perfectly fine, which led them to believe it was a mechanical issue. Maybe the transmission.

The car was left outside the garage by the tow truck and even the mechanics couldn't figure out how they were going to get the car into the garage. It would not move.


Now, the dealer has offered to get me the exact same car, it's currently on the train from vancouver. My dilemma is. DO I EVEN WANT A SUBARU????? should i contact subaru canada. They preach at how " safe" the vehicle is, however, I do not have the same experience.

I'm really just looking to see what everyone thinks of their subaru's and what my possible next steps should be. Ultimately, this situation is completely unacceptable and I'm slightly traumatized form the entire event.

Thanks guys.
meaganlf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #230
blue0skye
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360255
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganlf5 View Post
Hey Guys,

I have never posted here before and technically speaking as of right now I do not own a subaru. I'm hoping for some insight or some guidance.
I bought a BRAND NEW 2017 subaru forester from downtown subaru yesterday. I drove it exactly 34 km's before I began to have issues.
While merging off the HWY 401 east onto HWY 404 newmarket, I began to accelerate. I got the car up to ~80-90km/hr( I had already previously driven at this speed and had no issues).

The car decided to slam itself on the brakes. I lost all manual control of the car, my steering wheel had no play to it. It felt like all 4 tires locked up. I skid down the freeway for ~30 feet until the car finally came to a complete stop. I was almost rear ended due to this incident and subsequently almost cause a multiple car pileup on the highway.

Once the car stopped, I attempted to drive it over to the shoulder. The car WOULD NOT MOVE. The car would turn on and off with no issues. The car would go into "drive mode" and the engine would rev, however the car would not move. NOTHING, nothing what so ever. I attempted to turn the car off and back on, and the car still would not move. I turned off all eye sight options, hoping this would help. NOTHING


So here I am with a brand new car, stuck on a mega highway and I didn't know what to do. I finally towed the car back to the dealership and the service department took a look at it. As far as they could see, all my sensors were perfectly fine, which led them to believe it was a mechanical issue. Maybe the transmission.

The car was left outside the garage by the tow truck and even the mechanics couldn't figure out how they were going to get the car into the garage. It would not move.


Now, the dealer has offered to get me the exact same car, it's currently on the train from vancouver. My dilemma is. DO I EVEN WANT A SUBARU????? should i contact subaru canada. They preach at how " safe" the vehicle is, however, I do not have the same experience.

I'm really just looking to see what everyone thinks of their subaru's and what my possible next steps should be. Ultimately, this situation is completely unacceptable and I'm slightly traumatized form the entire event.

Thanks guys.
Thats pretty messed up... suprised I didn't hear about that on the news as I travel the 404 daily with 680 playing all the time.

I think its worth a shot with another one... I know it'd be hard to get trust back but all these cars now adays are all electronic... can happen with all these brake assist and collision avoidance tech...

all these new technology is great when it works and not breaking down. Still miss my old corolla that has manual door/windows and an actual throttle cable...
blue0skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #231
Cfour
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446735
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find any info on my current situation...
I recently changed my pads and rotors in my '13 wrx, followed the step by step process used here - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2624440, and everything seems fine except that my brake pedal is a lot harder/touchier (if that's a word). It seems like the brakes are working TOO good and the pedal has very little play when pressed. I tried bleeding the lines just in case, and backing off the caliper pins just a tad and it didn't seem to soften up any. I understand the newer/thicker pads will take up more space in the caliper, but this seems like a MAJOR difference than before. I'm drawing a blank on what to do or what it could be...
Cfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #232
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299104
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

Default

you probably just got used to the old brakes. i had the brakes and rotors replaced on my 97 LGT and the first few times i hit the brakes i nearly went through the windshield
mschiavoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #233
Jakelift93
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461925
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Phoenix AZ
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
WR Blue Pearl

Default 2017 wrx brake noise

brakes have been making some noise only when applying light pressure they squeal from about 20mph to a complete stop and only when applying light brake pressure.. worried me took it to the dealer and they said they didn't find anything

Not sure what could be causing it or they were just being lazy and didn't really inspect that well seems like it's coming from the front brakes for sure
Jakelift93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #234
SubieNation13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450437
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Glendale,CA
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru WRX
Black

Default

Hello I have a 2011 legacy with stoptech pads. I recently saw that my brake light is coming on when I step on the brakes with medium to hard force. It's the red brake lights that comes on for the e-brake when it's on. Thank you
SubieNation13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #235
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg 2+ 310/370, 6sp R180

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNation13 View Post
Hello I have a 2011 legacy with stoptech pads. I recently saw that my brake light is coming on when I step on the brakes with medium to hard force. It's the red brake lights that comes on for the e-brake when it's on. Thank you


Your brake fluid is low. Add some.
gsrcrxsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #236
SubieNation13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450437
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Glendale,CA
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
Your brake fluid is low. Add some.


Ok thanks a lot.
SubieNation13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:35 AM   #237
gs300cky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296248
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Aurora, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
wrb

Default Brakes

Any recommendations on why my 09 wrx is horrible at stopping? I have almost brand new pads, I just had the rotors resurfaced and yet it feels like a damn tank when I slow down.
I get better braking from my Saturn and Altima sadly. Or do I just need to upgrade the brake system all around, I.e ss lines, calipers etc etc
gs300cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #238
ReDXE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 437326
Join Date: Jan 2016
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Lewisville TX
Vehicle:
2016 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs300cky View Post
Any recommendations on why my 09 wrx is horrible at stopping? I have almost brand new pads, I just had the rotors resurfaced and yet it feels like a damn tank when I slow down.
I get better braking from my Saturn and Altima sadly
Whats the conditions of your tires like?
ReDXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #239
gs300cky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296248
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Aurora, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
wrb

Default

Almost brand new
gs300cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #240
exist
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229903
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs300cky View Post
Any recommendations on why my 09 wrx is horrible at stopping? I have almost brand new pads, I just had the rotors resurfaced and yet it feels like a damn tank when I slow down.
I get better braking from my Saturn and Altima sadly. Or do I just need to upgrade the brake system all around, I.e ss lines, calipers etc etc
Titanium brake pad shims + aggressive compound. To take all from the new pad you have to make bedding procedure correctly . Only smooth "burnishing" layer would help you to take all from your brake pad set.
exist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #241
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs300cky View Post
Any recommendations on why my 09 wrx is horrible at stopping? I have almost brand new pads, I just had the rotors resurfaced and yet it feels like a damn tank when I slow down.
I get better braking from my Saturn and Altima sadly. Or do I just need to upgrade the brake system all around, I.e ss lines, calipers etc etc
Not sure all the brake work done.
There is a bedding process for new pads.
Maybe they opened a line (no clue why) and you have air in it.
Could be seized caliper pins or pistons, usually this make it pull to one side (the side that is working).

Quote:
Originally Posted by exist View Post
Titanium brake pad shims + aggressive compound. To take all from the new pad you have to make bedding procedure correctly . Only smooth "burnishing" layer would help you to take all from your brake pad set.
Bedding is good.
The rest is more for max braking like track days, shouldn't be needed for a DD.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #242
gs300cky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296248
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Aurora, CO
Vehicle:
2005 wrx
wrb

Default

Ya Iím looking at just going with the Cadillac Brake upgrade, Iím just looking to find everything thatís needed exactly since Iím seeing two different things for it
gs300cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW AMS Brake kit, Brake bleeder. BRAKES BRAKES AND MORE BRAKES! AMS MWSOC Vendor Classifieds 10 09-10-2007 11:43 AM
NEW AMS Brake kit, Brake bleeder. BRAKES BRAKES AND MORE BRAKES! AMS Suspension/Brakes/Handling 10 08-13-2007 02:43 PM
Brakes Brakes Brakes cool13b Legacy Forum 2 03-22-2002 06:08 PM
Brake Lines, Brake Lines, Brake Lines: Rate malaki Brakes, Steering & Suspension 0 05-03-2001 07:55 AM
brakes! brakes! brakes! greg Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 16 12-07-2000 09:36 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.