Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 12, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default Ad Astra (2019 Film) [Brad Pitt]

Just saw this movie last night. I highly, HIGHLY recommend you see this in a nice theater, maybe even IMAX. If you're a fan of 2001, The Martian, Interstellar, or Mars (Netflix) then I think you'll really like this movie. I might see it again tonight by myself.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
SiniC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17021
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Toronto, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 CTS-V
Raven Black

Default

All the reviews say that it’s really slow and a lot of parts are straight up boring (it’s too long and a lot of parts could have been cut). Did you find this?

When I first heard about this movie I was looking forward to it ... but the reviews have been pretty discouraging
SiniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
If you're a fan of 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiniC View Post
All the reviews say that itís really slow and a lot of parts are straight up boring (itís too long and a lot of parts could have been cut). Did you find this?

When I first heard about this movie I was looking forward to it ... but the reviews have been pretty discouraging
sounds about right.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
BGPunk2001
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46134
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Ignoranimosity
Default

How I felt about Gone Girl if I remember it correctly.

The whole time I recall it being slow, but with this eerie tension that something was ABOUT to go down...... and then it just never ****ing did.
BGPunk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Mr.Sparkle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83725
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiniC View Post
All the reviews say that itís really slow and a lot of parts are straight up boring (itís too long and a lot of parts could have been cut). Did you find this?

When I first heard about this movie I was looking forward to it ... but the reviews have been pretty discouraging
Well it's at 80% for critics but 57% for audience scores on RT if that tells you anything.

I'm going to see it in the theater. It's a little over 2 hours so not too long and I don't need constant action to keep me entertained if it's building a story that's compelling.
Mr.Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiniC View Post
All the reviews say that itís really slow and a lot of parts are straight up boring (itís too long and a lot of parts could have been cut). Did you find this?

When I first heard about this movie I was looking forward to it ... but the reviews have been pretty discouraging
It's not slow. I think the pacing is excellent. It's shorter and possibly more engaging than Blade Runner 2049, which was my favorite movie of 2017.

Again, not everyone is into 2001, including myself, but my buddy absolutely LOVES 2001 and he really, really dig this movie.

I just wanted to recommend a visually stunning movie with fantastic character development. I got one buddy who doesn't watch movies to think, they're pure escapism for him. So he's more of a Transformers guy. I think those people might find Ad Astra "slow and boring". *shrug*
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPunk2001 View Post
How I felt about Gone Girl if I remember it correctly.

The whole time I recall it being slow, but with this eerie tension that something was ABOUT to go down...... and then it just never ****ing did.
I can kinda see that. This movie definitely has eerie tension throughout. I think the payoff is there though.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
It's not slow. I think the pacing is excellent. It's shorter and possibly more engaging than Blade Runner 2049, which was my favorite movie of 2017.

Again, not everyone is into 2001, including myself, but my buddy absolutely LOVES 2001 and he really, really dig this movie.

I just wanted to recommend a visually stunning movie with fantastic character development. I got one buddy who doesn't watch movies to think, they're pure escapism for him. So he's more of a Transformers guy. I think those people might find Ad Astra "slow and boring". *shrug*
Transformers is not a movie you watch as an escape. Transformers is a movie you watch as a method of self harm.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
BGPunk2001
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46134
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Ignoranimosity
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
So he's more of a Transformers guy.
Does he drink Natty Light?
BGPunk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

I'll be seeing it this afternoon.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
banman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12408
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Lotusland
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
Transformers is not a movie you watch as an escape. Transformers is a movie you watch as a method of self harm.
Back in the old days of OT, this would have sparked a 15-page argument with cwb.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
shikataganai
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default

I've got my ticket for Sunday night, at a Dolby Cinema (swapped out my ticket for this--no such screens were showing it earlier when I booked).

Last edited by shikataganai; 09-20-2019 at 06:12 PM.
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #13
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Wow, that was some good hard scifi.

Some of the talky bits were slow of course, the narration was an odd choice. But man, the visuals were great.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

He's a quiet dude, so I appreciated the narration. Especially since they pretty much just throw you into the world right away, it's good to get commentary from someone who knows what's going on. Your other choices are introducing a character who's new to the world, or allowing the audience to just let the world wash over them.

I guess they're calling this "Apocalypse Now, In Space". Also a bit of Gravity thrown in the mix.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #15
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
Transformers is not a movie you watch as an escape. Transformers is a movie you watch as a method of self harm.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPunk2001 View Post
Does he drink Natty Light?
Had to look that up. Wouldn't surprise me if he did!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #16
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I guess they're calling this "Apocalypse Now, In Space". Also a bit of Gravity thrown in the mix.
If you go into this looking for the next "Gravity", you WILL be disappointed...

This is more 2001: Space Oddy or Blade Runner.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #17
Wagon Of Fury
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 47982
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Beautifully made movie

SPOILER: Lots of interesting sequences (crazy space apes, moon pirates) that turned out to be red herrings; could have been left out of the movie without affecting the overall arc.

A few things that weren't explained - were the power pulses intentional or accident ? He did kill his entire crew, mayyyyyybe he was a litttle craaaaazy

Roy had to metaphorically and literally let go of his father in order to move on with life. A bit on the nose I thought
Wagon Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #18
jsmaze
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 23354
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakley, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Hyundai Sonata
Silver

Default

*mumbles something about Interstellar and tidal locks*

How sci-fi are we talking? Might actually go see it if it's even a halfway decent real sci-fi.
jsmaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #19
the_unknown
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 168211
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The town that begins with Love
Vehicle:
2013 Cargobob

Default

One of the most interesting things I noticed about this movie is that as wide open as space is humans have found a way to make it small and claustrophobic. Excellent movie, even if the space pirates didn’t really fit with the narrative.
the_unknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:13 AM   #20
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmaze View Post
How sci-fi are we talking? Might actually go see it if it's even a halfway decent real sci-fi.
Its this years Interstellar/Gravity/The Martian/etc. The visuals and music are fantastic. Lots of interesting concepts and some world building.

Be prepared for long winded artsy writing and cinematography at times though.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #21
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Of Fury View Post
Beautifully made movie

SPOILER: Lots of interesting sequences (crazy space apes, moon pirates) that turned out to be red herrings; could have been left out of the movie without affecting the overall arc.

A few things that weren't explained - were the power pulses intentional or accident ? He did kill his entire crew, mayyyyyybe he was a litttle craaaaazy

Roy had to metaphorically and literally let go of his father in order to move on with life. A bit on the nose I thought
**SPOILERS** Those instances actually fit into the theme. Pirates created a scenario where he actually felt loss of father figures (the driver had a family, plus Donald Sutherland had to be protected).

The deranged animal scenario helped him to identify with his internal rage. Up until this point he's quietly been pushing his emotions down, which distanced him from his wife. He needed to acknowledge his anger.

Power pulses were an accident. The crew felt they'd explored far enough and wanted to get back to their families that they cared about. They made it to Neptune. But Roy's dad wanted to keep going, because he's disconnected from humanity and had nothing to go back to. The crew rebelled and wound up damaging the antimatter in the struggle. They never explained anything about the antimatter, but it didn't matter to the overall theme.**SPOILERS**

I hear a lot of debate on Gravity and Interstellar about their sci-fi being true or not. Quotes from scientists will praise the science, but forum members will say, "Nah, that's not how it works." I feel like this will get the same reaction. *shrug* It's supposed to be fairly accurate, yet I'm sure there are some cinematic liberties.

Last edited by chanomatik; 09-21-2019 at 09:20 AM.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #22
Wagon Of Fury
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 47982
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
**SPOILERS** Those instances actually fit into the theme. Pirates created a scenario where he actually felt loss of father figures (the driver had a family, plus Donald Sutherland had to be protected).

The deranged animal scenario helped him to identify with his internal rage. Up until this point he's quietly been pushing his emotions down, which distanced him from his wife. He needed to acknowledge his anger.

Power pulses were an accident. The crew felt they'd explored far enough and wanted to get back to their families that they cared about. They made it to Neptune. But Roy's dad wanted to keep going, because he's disconnected from humanity and had nothing to go back to. The crew rebelled and wound up damaging the antimatter in the struggle. They never explained anything about the antimatter, but it didn't matter to the overall theme.**SPOILERS**
Thank you, that helps !
Wagon Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #23
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

https://screenrant.com/ad-astra-movi...od-bad-reason/

Looks like it's not a hit with everyone. *shrug* I really liked it. And I think the scenes all make sense thematically.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #24
motorpotor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 126425
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 Archaeologist
Silver

Default

Saw it today in an Atmos equipped theater. Solid B-, visually and audibly stunning but the story was meh. Pirates on the Moon...ok. Reminded me of Dunkirk...high brow Sci-fi that didn't need to be.
motorpotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #25
jsmaze
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 23354
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakley, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Hyundai Sonata
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Its this years Interstellar/Gravity/The Martian/etc. The visuals and music are fantastic. Lots of interesting concepts and some world building.

Be prepared for long winded artsy writing and cinematography at times though.
Thank

Also, this thread already has spoilers. Shame on, well, some of...oh who cares.
jsmaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.