Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday February 24, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-22-2021, 11:37 PM   #1
Gohawks688
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521322
Default 04 wrx sheared input shaft. Options?

Howdy guys. New on here looking for help/advice on a repair for my wife's 04 wrx. It lost the use of 3/4/5 gears a while back and was parked. After pulling the trans and splitting the case the input shaft is sheared. I am looking for advice on options moving forward.
Here's what I think my options are....
1. Get a jdm trans and swap. Pretty simple much to that. Not sure on who reputable importers are and don't really want to drop 1200 on a car that's worth 5k.
2. Find a used local 5mt and swap in. I've found the cross reference charts and I know about push vs pull clutch and final drive differences.
3. Buy a local push clutch trans (forester and legacy trans seem to be much cheaper) and split the case and put those gears into my pull case. Is the difference in push vs pull trans all in the case/bell housing and clutch fork? My assumption is that the internals are the same and can be swapped? Now the million dollar question can a handy diy guy swap shafts from case to case? I know I can physically do it but will not measuring gear lash / proper shimming end up biting me? Anyone successfully done this?

Thanks in advance guys! If I can figure out a way to post pics I will show you my sheared shaft!
Gohawks688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2021, 01:27 AM   #2
GeoNV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518830
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
dark grey metallic

If the 04 is like the 2011 trans I took apart Id hazard a guess that you could swap the input shaft and gears without changing the shims and all that. The pinion shaft would be a different story. Youd have to make sure it was the same gear ratios and also that the speedometer sensor type was the same. Obviously measure the various components and then make sure everything meshed properly.

I dont know if the parts would interchange or not, just looking at the photos of mine when it was apart Id wager a guess youd be ok.
GeoNV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:34 AM   #3
Gohawks688
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNV View Post
If the 04 is like the 2011 trans I took apart Id hazard a guess that you could swap the input shaft and gears without changing the shims and all that. The pinion shaft would be a different story. Youd have to make sure it was the same gear ratios and also that the speedometer sensor type was the same. Obviously measure the various components and then make sure everything meshed properly.

I dont know if the parts would interchange or not, just looking at the photos of mine when it was apart Id wager a guess youd be ok.
I've considered two options on the gear swap front. Get a push type trans and take all the internals (input&output shafts whole, diff ect) and put in the wrx case.
Or
Source a new input shaft and move all my current gears over to that new shaft. I've seen input shaft for about 150 new online. Do the gears just side off once the nut is taken off or are they pressed? If I keep the exact same shims and use an the same gears I'm thinking it would be ok. Seems like a risk worthy of 150$ and some tinker time.
But my fear is the same as yours. That without proper shimming and measurement things will go bad.

Last edited by Gohawks688; 01-23-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

You are hung up on the push/pull concept when you should really be looking at the axle differences as the push/pull differences didn't start until 06 I think. Your current trans will either have stub or stubless axles depending on your build date as it changed mid year.

If you have to ask if the average man can do a swap, the answer is no. If you are an OG or skilled with transmissions, yes. You'd have the ~$100 SOA alignment tool and/or be an OG and do it with gear paint and read the lash with your eyes.

Where do you live? I know every Subaru transmission shop worth a damn in America and I can point you to the closest. Otherwise, get the gears and see if AAMCO or local trans shop can do it for you. Use 04 or 05 WRX gears, new or used. Might as well swap out all the synchros too.

04 guts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SUBARU...S/293752672653

Last edited by Unabomber; 01-23-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
Gohawks688
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
You are hung up on the push/pull concept when you should really be looking at the axle differences as the push/pull differences didn't start until 06 I think. Your current trans will either have stub or stubless axles depending on your build date as it changed mid year.

If you have to ask if the average man can do a swap, the answer is no. If you are an OG or skilled with transmissions, yes. You'd have the ~$100 SOA alignment tool and/or be an OG and do it with gear paint and read the lash with your eyes.

Where do you live? I know every Subaru transmission shop worth a damn in America and I can point you to the closest. Otherwise, get the gears and see if AAMCO or local trans shop can do it for you. Use 04 or 05 WRX gears, new or used. Might as well swap out all the synchros too.

04 guts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SUBARU...S/293752672653
I am not an oh transmission guy but I am an engineer And am pretty darn handy.
I am concerned over many things haha. I don't want to swap a push case into my pull car. Don't want to worry about getting new fly wheel, clutch slave ect. Push pull may not be an issue till 06 in wrx but most forester and legacy are push type and those trans are super cheap in my area compared to wrx parts.
My case has the male stub axles in the trans and the female axles.
To answer your question I am in western washington.
I have seen the guts you listed on eBay. But that still puts me in the same spot of can I also slap those in myself or do I send it to a shop? I'd prefer not to do that as I am a do it yourself kinda guy. (Don't get me wrong I know there are times when a guy like me doesn't have the right skills and this may be one of them. That's why Im on here doing the research.) None of the local shops I've called have wanted to touch the trans since I pulled it from the car.

Do you have any experience with the jdm import trans?

Maybe a little more information on the. Ar and what I want to do with it will help
It's got 180k on it. Original everything. It's a DD not a track car. No intention of crazy power numbers. Just want to get it back on the road and enjoy it.
Thanks for your input!
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

A JDM transmission is more dramatical. Will the front and center differential ratios be right for your rear differential? If you want a whole swap option, an 04/05 WRX trans that fits your axles is the best plug and play option. You could also do an 02/03 but those are a tiny bit weaker.

If you contact https://www.facebook.com/getadomtune he can probably either do the work himself or refer you to a shop. He may also have or know of good trans sources. Tell him Big Ron sent ya and that he loves him.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote