Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday February 24, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
John1218360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 520372
Join Date: Nov 2020
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Long island
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Black

Default Blow off valve killing car

So i got a Turbo Xs hybrid bov and installed it on my 2015 wrx at idle it dies right after i was in boost anyway to fix this?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
John1218360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 3ish
world rally blue

Default

youve got a boost leak check your clamps
standardtranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
WMTwrx15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501927
Join Date: May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1218360 View Post
So i got a Turbo Xs hybrid bov and installed it on my 2015 wrx at idle it dies right after i was in boost anyway to fix this?

Yes 2 ways

1) speed density tune (which unless full bolt on and big turbo is pointless for just a bov

2) remove it and replace with 100 percent recirculating
WMTwrx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
hengyu408
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493782
Join Date: Nov 2018
Vehicle:
2020 WRX

Default

Add more spacers
hengyu408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
tegxsi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446029
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 510
Default

Go back to stock
tegxsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
gn4rwhals
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 453427
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit, MI
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Is this the "washer" BOV that makes this board cringe?

I think you need to use all the washers then, also a tune for it would help immensely.
gn4rwhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:13 PM   #7
WMTwrx15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501927
Join Date: May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn4rwhals View Post
Is this the "washer" BOV that makes this board cringe?

I think you need to use all the washers then, also a tune for it would help immensely.

If itís the turbo Xs one I would remove it immediately

Why pay 4-500 for an sd tune you donít need for a noise maker?
WMTwrx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

FWIW im making 410whp/400wtq on e60... stock bpv. Specifically, my original bpv -- 107k miles
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardtranny View Post
youve got a boost leak check your clamps
uhh no. so what is happening is, why your vent to atmosphere blow off valve you are loosing metered air and it is going super rich and making your car die. get rid of that thing and just go with the stock valve.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
Rexy18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 500337
Join Date: Apr 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
FWIW im making 410whp/400wtq on e60... stock bpv. Specifically, my original bpv -- 107k miles
Stock bottom and if so how many miles on such setup (400/400)?
Rexy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #11
gn4rwhals
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 453427
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit, MI
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Stock BPV gang for life, unless you are big turbo pushing north of 30 psi stock BPV is fine.
gn4rwhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #12
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy18 View Post
Stock bottom and if so how many miles on such setup (400/400)?
built block. Stock heads.

5k miles on this set up so far -- most of it on e60. Used 93 when had some longer highway trips for the mpg swagz.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #13
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 3ish
world rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
uhh no. so what is happening is, why your vent to atmosphere blow off valve you are loosing metered air and it is going super rich and making your car die. get rid of that thing and just go with the stock valve.
don't tell me, ive got the cobb lf bpv
standardtranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:35 AM   #14
liltonywrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 505877
Join Date: Sep 2019
Vehicle:
2018 Wrx
Dgm

Default

I had this bov for a few months, at first this was happening to me too, but then I ran it with 5 washers and it was perfect.
liltonywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:35 AM   #15
basyager
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 518233
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default

if you use a BOV on this engine and think its fine just log out from Nasioc go on amazon grab a NEON kit and go post on facebook group or something..
basyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #16
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basyager View Post
if you use a BOV on this engine and think its fine just log out from Nasioc go on amazon grab a NEON kit and go post on facebook group or something..
Unfortunately, ^THIS x100
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #17
basyager
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 518233
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Unfortunately, ^THIS x100
Hell yea brotha! I love that I can be a mean ******* on here as long as Im right..
basyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #18
WMTwrx15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501927
Join Date: May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basyager View Post
if you use a BOV on this engine and think its fine just log out from Nasioc go on amazon grab a NEON kit and go post on facebook group or something..

I use a greddy type rs full vent to atmosphere...

Mine doesnít stall, run rich, or anything...

Why you ask, because it is tuned appropriately for the modification...

All these problems come from inappropriate modifications for the level of tuning...

To say that using a bov other than stock is not appropriate with this engine is simply incorrect..

You must have the appropriate tuning for your modification..itís thAt simple...

Want to run a bov..you need speed density tuning, with that comes a price..pay to play just like everything else in life..
WMTwrx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #19
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMTwrx15 View Post
I use a greddy type rs full vent to atmosphere...

Mine doesnít stall, run rich, or anything...

Why you ask, because it is tuned appropriately for the modification...

All these problems come from inappropriate modifications for the level of tuning...

To say that using a bov other than stock is not appropriate with this engine is simply incorrect..

You must have the appropriate tuning for your modification..itís thAt simple...

Want to run a bov..you need speed density tuning, with that comes a price..pay to play just like everything else in life..
Not denying the principle here of "pay to play" but what is the worth-to-cost? Was the change from BPV to BOV purely for the "woosh" What kind of gains were made, if any, from swapping to a BOV? Are there more complications due to this system change and what is the probable risk that the complications will cost more mula later? How soon is later? Are there preventative measures we can take?

I agree with doing what you want with your car. The problem is the assumption by too many that parts can be swapped in and around "because they do the same thing".

My basic understanding is that BPV allow for better throttle response while BOV means you start at 0 psi EVERYTIME you lift off the throttle thus having to deal with the turbo having to work more again to generate the desire boost.

BOV seems to be the best solutions to high HP turbo builds where the "stock" bpv or regular bpv will not be as reliable --- apparently there are high-flow BPV out there tho.

For our system -- FA20dit -- the only reason to run a BOV is for the noise. More power to you if that's what you want, but as you stated... you must tune for it.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #20
WMTwrx15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501927
Join Date: May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Not denying the principle here of "pay to play" but what is the worth-to-cost? Was the change from BPV to BOV purely for the "woosh" What kind of gains were made, if any, from swapping to a BOV? Are there more complications due to this system change and what is the probable risk that the complications will cost more mula later? How soon is later? Are there preventative measures we can take?

I agree with doing what you want with your car. The problem is the assumption by too many that parts can be swapped in and around "because they do the same thing".

My basic understanding is that BPV allow for better throttle response while BOV means you start at 0 psi EVERYTIME you lift off the throttle thus having to deal with the turbo having to work more again to generate the desire boost.

BOV seems to be the best solutions to high HP turbo builds where the "stock" bpv or regular bpv will not be as reliable --- apparently there are high-flow BPV out there tho.

For our system -- FA20dit -- the only reason to run a BOV is for the noise. More power to you if that's what you want, but as you stated... you must tune for it.

I personally like the sound..no gains expected or made...

I was sd tuned due to big turbo maxing out the maf so I just unplugged the recric I have the recric kit so I can go back..but I agree with you..post maf airflow mods must be properly tuned..

If the op wants the car to run right..retune or remove

Simple as that
WMTwrx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #21
John1218360
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 520372
Join Date: Nov 2020
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Long island
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Black

Default

Update: i left it on there and the csr runs fine now just had to get used to it i guess? Itís definitely running rich as it pops after it vents
John1218360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 511379
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

*Raises Hand*

Team, I think the biggest question that should be asked, since it wasn't stated by the OP:

Did you just install it and that's it, or did you get an E-Tune/Dyno Tune to compensate?

If it's the first, then merely slapping a BOV is not advised, and you should be tuned to Speed Density to take advantage.
EvaUnit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #23
WMTwrx15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501927
Join Date: May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1218360 View Post
Update: i left it on there and the csr runs fine now just had to get used to it i guess? Itís definitely running rich as it pops after it vents

Thatís not normal and will be a detriment to your cars over health in the future, many people responded to you and told you how to properly set the car up for that valve

Good luck my friend and safe travels
WMTwrx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #24
brianthomp80
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 513800
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Southern Oregon
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DMG

Default

moved

Last edited by brianthomp80; 02-16-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Moving to different chain
brianthomp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.