Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-21-2001, 09:57 PM   #1
Momo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1544
Vehicle:
2012 SWP STI 5dr

Question painting sideskirts myself...

So I want to paint my sideskirts, rear bumper skirts, and my lip spoiler. I have a silverthorne coupe. Any of u guys have any suggestions as to which paint I should use? Also, are the sideskirts hard to remove?
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2001, 03:05 AM   #2
Greg I
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 384
Vehicle:
2002 Acura RSX-S
Blue

I was told, by a very reputable body shop, that painting the side skirts would be cost prohibitive. They said, unless done properly, they will crack and chip, and suggested getting a set of Japanese skirts instead. More than simply putting flex additive into the paint, unless you plan on sanding and refinishing the skirts before painting, you might want to think twice.

I don't think these guys DIDN'T want my money -- I definitely trust them.

Greg
Greg I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 07:11 AM   #3
scooter2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3542
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5 i
wagon Black

I had my side skirts and rear bumper skirts painted for around 200.00. Not cheap but it was worth it. They sanded down the plastic so the primer would stick then they color matched the paint. The only thing I can say is they get banged up a lot. If my car was'nt black it would look really bad because of all the scuff's from my feet and rock's as well as cone marks from auto crossing. On the other hand their real easy to take on and off! I do think it looks better to have them painted regardless IMHO>
scooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 05:23 PM   #4
4wdrift
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1403
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
99 RBP GC8 Impreza

Prep is as easy as sanding with 320-400 grit. Just a bit labor intensive. Just make sure you get all the edges really well. The other thing is that the parts have to be sprayed with a bonding agent and baked after painting so that it will last. I did this to multiple skirts (read more than one car) and so far I have ha great results. Most of the cost is for labor. 1/2 pt of paint and a shop to spray it approx $60-$80. Most won't guarantee the work though.
Earnest S.
4wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote